Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Welding Q. Miller Dial arc HF pedal issues. W/ PHOTOS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 510madmav, Apr 21, 2012.

1. 510madmav

510madmav

I recently acquired this 1980's Dial Arc HF Tig machine. [​IMG]The pedal came hard wired like so..[​IMG]
    I believe that my pedal has no range control, either on or off kind of feeling.
    And my issue with the pedal is , When i have the machine set to dc- Max amperage w/ 0 on the coarse control, and barely tap the pedal with my toe, it welds like i'm flooring it. Yet when I have it set to mid range amperage, and max on the coarse control, with full pedal it wont even puddle 3/16'' plate.
    the rheostat looks arced at either end...[​IMG]
    And the switch is engaged super lightly. There is little to no adjustment ...
    [​IMG]
    here is the pedal model...[​IMG]
    and this ceramic dial rheostat was replaced...[​IMG]
    It welds nothing like the lincoln 300 at work, the welds mine puts out seem dull, grey, even with ss ER308L. Maybe because it only welds when set high?
    Anyway Leave your thoughts or opinions and I'd greatly appreciate any input.
    Justin

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

i wish i could help.. i just got the same machine and i love it... hope someone can help.. but here is a bump to the top for you..

3. 510madmav

510madmav

4. cjsavage

cjsavage
    from eastern nc

I have the same machine. You might try switching pedals if you can find someone close by with one. If you don't have a manual, you can download the manual from the Miller web site.

5. 510madmav

510madmav

What needs to be done in order to change the wires back into a multi prong plug?

6. Elmer Rodger

Elmer Rodger
    from San Diego

there should be a schematic on the inside of one of the panels, they're a little hard to read sometimes but it should show the pin position and wire numbers for the plug.
    your rheostat looks like it's baked, it shouldn't have any arcing at all

7. 510madmav

510madmav

I can't find a rheostat anywhere, anyone have a link to somewhere that might have what I need? Thx

8. tig master

tig master
    from up north

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  9. 510madmav

510madmav

That's the 5 wires coming from the pedal cable. I've looked at the schematic, i don't understand it 100%, I want to know if the guy wired
    The correct way. Anyone know how I can tell?