Register now to get rid of these ads!

FMX Transmissions ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zapato, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Yes, I did do a search and found no matches. Been searching online and really not finding much on these. Any tranny gurus out there that can shed some light on these.

2. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

And your question is?

3. What about them?

4. in my opinion ,not the best ford trans especailly in stock form

5. so what's wrong with them and what does it take to make them better.

6. Had one in a OT 69 Cougar. Not much in the way of aftermarket support for them.

7. cast iron case, alum bellhousing slow shifting especailly going into drive but i hear alot of guys like them

8. sixpack70

sixpack70

They were used behind a lot of fords. Speed parts are limited, mostly shift kits and torque converters. They are fairly strong in stock form. My 69 Mach 1 came from the factory with an FMX behind a 351w 4v. I have a 1972 Mustang 351c 2V drivetrain with FMX im using in my Falcon. They are heavy and cast iron but rob less HP than a C6 from what I have read. They usually can be had for cheap.

9. They are heavy as hell... I attempted to put one in an OT '68 Mustang but it interfered with the floor, out it went since I had a C4 on hand. Agree that they are strong, but I never saw one used in a classic car or rod. A C4 or C6 is probably a better choice.

Bob

10. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

They make good boat anchors.

11. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

C-6 is good for a truck, overkill for any car application due to the power drain. C-4 is the answer for all but the 'numbers matching' types. FMX?? Really?? Why?? Problem with them antiques is the oil signal flows through the shafts, small ports, weak sealing rings points, not a good way to improve the shift scheduling, like I say only makes sense to use them in correct restorations.

12. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

For a number of years after the C-6 was introduced the FMX continued to be the heavy-duty trans installed in taxi cabs, step vans, etc. As was already said, I don't believe there was much in the way of upgrade parts made for them, and for whatever reason they weren't popular for drag racing or hot rods.

13. George

George

It is in betwwen the C-4 & the C-6 in strenth & power consumption. generally Generally speaking the C-4 was used on 289/302, the FMX on 351 2 bl & the C-6 on 351 4 bl & up. The ones used in Torinos & Montegos had a noticibly slower shift than those in Mustangs & Cougars. a shift kit solved that. By the late 70s 351s were smogged up to the point that Ford, desperate to make CAFE standards, started using C-4s. What engine are you using?

14. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

I have had several, they are slow shifting and heavy. I have put shift kits in them with good luck. I was able to buy a high stall converter from TCI and that made all the difference in a 3600 lb car. But the truth is if you are building a car or have the opportunity to change it out you should. I really like the C4 and they will take any abuse if built properly. The AOD from Lentech is an incredible transmission if you have the money and do any highway driving. I put a stick in my latest build after years of autos.....I don't know what took me so long!

15. I would not cast one off just for being a FMX. If a rig comes with one that works it stays, some times it gets rebuilt (We have a local guy that's good) . For race use, probably not, but maybe depending on the car. What's it in and what are you going to do with it? Most often I say use what you have unless you know it won't do the job.
    The Wizzard

16. 58custom

58custom