Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 Bel Air Custom Tail Lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olkarz, Apr 21, 2012.

1. olkarz

olkarz

I appreciate it!

2. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

Whats Wrong with Fins!!!!, :mad:

3. 390kid

390kid

youre right. that would be as bad as your late model caddy tail lights. you asked for opinions on a traditional forum. you have the skills. use some patience and research the cars from the era and find something that would suit your need.

4. olkarz

olkarz

I love fins!!! I thought you guys would have ripped me more if I would've used modern LED light bars!

5. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I think theyre too rigid for the curving lines of the car, and even if they did look good, they wouldn't belong on a pre 65 traditional forum. Period.

The cheapest thing would be to french the stock bezels and maybe get some Lee bubble lenses for it.

:rolleyes:

6. olkarz

olkarz

I see what you're saying. Modern A/C, power windows, pwr door locks and airbags aren't really pre-1965 but there are plenty of guys on the forum that have them as well...wouldn't you agree???

7. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I do agree, I dont particularly fancy seeing those things on the forum either, I expect to see traditional hot rods and customs. But at least those things don't show.. except the rocker laying stances.

8. Power windows and air con were available in the 50's as were airbags standard equipment on 57 Cadillac eldorado brougham

9. olkarz

olkarz

Really??? I've only seen the Caddy's with airshocks around these parts.

I agree with you on the AC...but not all of the guys here are retro-fitting the AC units from that genre, they're using modern vintage AC and heating units fro Vintage Air. I would love to find a full under dash AC unit or doing a retro install, but by the time the period cars get to Pull A Part the AC units are already gone.

10. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

So were taillights... :D Sorry, couldn't help myself.

11. olkarz

olkarz

I did do the traditional cut coil springs and lowering blocks for the rear to lower my car. I guess I betta not show any pictures of the interior of the car when I get the it recovered then... It has both modern and traditional touches in it. all of the panels, headliner, dash and carpet are all period correct but I also have 4 buckets seats and a full length center console with a 10 speaker mordern car audio system in it too.

12. 390kid

390kid

then dont ask for opinons.

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

They look horrible, but metal is forgiving, they can be undone.

14. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

As opposed to a profile not from the side?

15. How about a picture from the side, showing how they blend in
    (or not). Maybe if they were set into the fender instead of
    sticking out from it, with maybe an inch or so protruding.........
    that might work.

16. 72hd

72hd
    BANNED

you should.nt change things just because you can

17. My thoughts exactly

18. AntiBling

AntiBling

What a waste of a hard top! Looking at your album, and the fiberglass speaker mounts, these taillights, and the way you're acting I'd suggest going back to the mini trucker or import sites you come from.

Your car, do what you want, but it doesn't fit in here.

19. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

20. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i almost never post my opinion on someone elses project, but since you asked, i'll give you my honest opinion. they do not flow or compliment the lines of the car. not even a little....there are so many other options that would cost very little,,,,lee bubble lenses in the stock 54 housings would look great,,,,,OR,,,here is my own idea: buy a set of 56 buick lee bubble lenses, french them in using the brake tubing and sheet metal filler pieces, cheap and relatively easy,,,..obviously you have the skills to pull it off,,just my opinion....really,,,,think it through some more...customs are all about flow,,,and complimentary shapes...

21. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

something like this..........

Attached Files:

22. MissPrint

MissPrint

Actually, now that you've found the HAMB you aren't limited to what you have locally, nor do you have to sacrifice an arm and a leg to get the part you want (ok, sure, there's still some "unobtanium" out there, but for the most part, the guys around here have parts galore). :)

Talk to Flat Top Bob. If you want it, he can find it.

23. thesupersized

thesupersized

sorry, try again. At least it's an easy fix. It's customs like this that make me try to differtiate the majority of south east coast customs with the rest of the east coast :).

24. Zeke

Zeke

That's just not right at all.

25. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I have to say, I do admire your cander almost as much as your metal working skills You've taken a bit of a beating here and stayed civil. cudos.

However - before you go and [destroy || create art out of ] the other side... pull the car out of that messy garage and take a goooooood look at the lines.

26. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Just because you can do it doesn't mean it's going to be "COOL". You have taken a beating and I think you have handled it pretty darn good. In the end it's your car and if you like it then that's all that matters......

27. skyrodder

skyrodder

1959 Imapala tail lights are not hard to find

28. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Hang in there.......I would have done snapped.

29. Somtimes different is just different! Doesn't mean it looks good,by ANY stretch. Personally.....I think it looks like shit! Can't believe i'm saying this,but....even '59 Caddy taillights look better than those! What made you thing ANYTHING off an 80's car would look good on a 50's car? Alchohol?

This dumbass had the same idea! You guys must drink the same beer....
    [​IMG]

30. Wait....don't tell me! Lexus buckets?