Register now to get rid of these ads!

5 speed Comet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coololdcars, Apr 21, 2012.

1. What 5 speed trans will work and hold up behind my 289 powered Comet axle car???

2. T5 will work but you will need to work out which to use because of shifter position. Are you running bucket seats or a bench seat? Console etc

3. Runnin' a bench. I'm really not up on all the "new" trannys. What car do these come in, what do I look for?????

4. The one from an 80's mustang with it's bell housing will fit with no modifications. But you may need a Chevy s10 version for the shifter position, I believe the s10 has a shorter input shaft though

5. TinShed

TinShed

He is right on the money, mustang bell s10 trans if you want the bench seat. I have a T5 in my wife's car and it has held up to 425hp for 12 years now.

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

What year 289? Keep in mind, the early one's ('64 and earlier) had a 5-bolt bellhousing and 6-bolt after that.

Malcolm

7. Cool beans, I wanna keep the bench, (new interior) Any tips on a shifter, or just run what comes with it???

8. Yeah very true Malcolm I forgot about that

9. Not sure on the year, will crawl under and check it out in the AM

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

11. JimSwann

JimSwann

I like the M5R2. 5 speed, great shifter position for a pickup, hydraulic throw out bearing. Been running mine about 6 months with no issues behind a 66 289 in a 35 Ford truck.

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

What is the source vehicle for M5R2 trans?

Ray

13. JimSwann

JimSwann

Ray, my trans is from a 92 Ford truck. Look for a pre 92 trans because they have a mech. speedometer.

14. So if I source an S-10 trans, and a Mustang bellhousing, It'll all bolt in.....With S-10 or Mustang clutch???????

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A S-10 trans is not a bolt on to a Mustang T-5 bellhousing. I think what you want is a Mustang T-5 bell, and an S-10 trans tailhousing to move the shifter forward. Common conversion. Several posts on the HAMB have detailed the operation.

One other thing, though. I think all the Mustang T-5 Bellhousing use a cable operated throwout fork, whereas your Comet has mechanical linkage. Swapping that out is doable though.

Ray

16. Drive Em

Drive Em

Wow alot of wrong information here. The S-10 Tailhousing will bolt on to the Mustang T-5 trans, but you will no longer have a place to install the speedo gear on the output shaft. Once you figure out how to install the Ford speedo gear in the right place, you will find that the speedo will only work in reverse as the S-10 tail puts the gear below the output shaft centerline, so you will now need a reverse cut gear, and a lot of machine work to make it all work.

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I believe all of that has been dealt with by previous converters...I've seen it here on the HAMB............including relocating the correct speedo drive gear on the output shatf.

If you so disagree with this method, what are you proposing as a solution?

Ray

18. Drive Em

Drive Em

I don't disagree with the solution, as I have done it several times. I am merely telling the OP what he is up against if he wants the speedo to work correctly.

19. I've been researching this subject and found this thread, the T5s after 92 from the mustangs with the s10 tail shaft housing is your best bet as the early ones are only rated at 240 lbs. ft.
    TRANSMISSION - T5 Tech Links