Register now to get rid of these ads!

New to me Lathe, 1945 Monarch 16 CW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A31ModelA, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Well after a long ride to from Alice, Texas to San Antonio( the really long way, including a wreck and being stored outside since Sept or so of 2011) She has finally arrived to my shop. With out taking a whole lot of space and details up I bought her back in sept or so and on my trip back home was cut off by some idiot driver and we had an accident. She landed face down in a creek and I had to call on a good friend to send an 18 wheeler and 6 ton sky lift forklift to come pluck her out for me. She was then stored at their shop until just the other night. It is a 1945 Monarch 16CW. Has an 18.5 inch swing and 78 inch bed between centers. over all length is about 12feet 6 inches. I have with it a 4 jaw chuck, a 3 jaw chuck, a steady rest, a tail stock, Taper attachment and original monarch tool post and holder. She is far from perfect, but with some good clean up, TLC and help I will get her back up and running.

The bad part is, when she landed face down it broke many of her control handles. So I am in need of replacements. I am on Practical Machinist as oneeyedwilly and am starting my search there. Any other help from you guys will be greatly appreciated. I will be posting pics soon, for some reason I can not upload them.

Will

2. Curt B

Curt B

3. use the old ones as patterns and cast your own out of aluminum......
    by the way nice piece....

4. Thanks guys. Im checking out the link now. Carl. Most of the handles pieces were left in the creek bed and were too mangled to use for patterns:( im working on getting those pieces outta the creek though its pretty shallow.

Will

5. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

I have a Monarch 12 "c" 12X36 with a taper attach (never used by me) dated 1-1941. When I got it most of the handles had been replaced by hand made pieces whittled out of aluminum. The main carriage wheel was busted at one time and the 3 spokes were brazed back to the wheel rim. I've had it for almost 25 years and it still works great, but only in a hobby environment of course.

Attached Files:

6. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Lots of that old stuff used handles and such from outside vendors, and stuff listed as replacements for Bridgeport, South Bend etc may fit and work- and may even be the same piece. If you snoop around KBC, Enco, epay etc. with sizes and such, you'd probably find stuff that will work

7. cbillelder

cbillelder

Check with Manhattan Supply (MSC Industrial Supply) at MSCdirect.com. They stock all sizes and shapes of handles and should be able to fix you up. I've dealt with them for the past 30 years and they have A LOT OF STUFF!
    I used to have one of those big Monarchs and I still have a '41 Monarch EE toolroom lathe. Finest machine ever made as far as I'm concerned.
    Good luck!!