Register now to get rid of these ads!

Narrowing Wheels? Is this Safe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deto, Apr 19, 2012.

1. deto

deto

So I found a wheel with the correct offset for my application, but the problem is that it is 1" too wide and contacts my tie rod end. I have access to a lathe large enough to mount a 15" wheel. If I were to section the rim, by removing an inch from the center then welding the 2 halves back together, would this be a safe wheel to drive on? I plan on welding the wheel while mounted to the lathe head so I can constantly check run out. Any body think this is a death wish?

2. HotRod31

HotRod31

I don't see a problem if you can keep it straight and more important if you can weld :)

Later, Mark

3. F&J

F&J

^ X2, there won't be a problem if you follow that advice. I've done it on a brake lathe, first time was 30 years ago; chromed steelies that I took an inch out of the backspace.

...and i am still alive :)

4. 117harv

117harv

Unless you have access to the lathe and welder for free and can do it yourself, you might be better off buying a new one that suits your requirements. It is a steel wheel right? There is no problem doing what you want, it's been done thousands of times before.

5. metal man

metal man

Well,I sure hope it's safe, cause I've done it a whole bunch of times.

6. deto

deto

ok. Yeah I have access to everything I need for free, and yeah I can weld. Now here is another question: I would like to TIG them. Would I be better off Mig welding them or is this ok?

7. 117harv

117harv

Wire or tig, i prefer tig though. It sounds like you have what you need and know what you are doing, get busy, take pics, and post them:)

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I bought a pair of wheels that had been parted off, when putting them back together I tig welded them inside and out, they were for a circle track application, so I didn't bother to grind the weld down on the outside.

Attached Files:

9. Your wheel modification, will be as good as your welding is.

For my car, I would not hesitate.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You betcha'. My head hurts just thinking about it.:eek:

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Only if your welding is safe....

12. hotflint

hotflint

I have cut many rims on a lathe, steel and aluminum, I use a rubber belt taped on with packing tape, the wheel also distorts from the resonating. I use one 2 inches by about 3/8. This facilitates in aiding the problem of it howling and it distorting. Tig welding introduced less heat and will distort less as well as being a better, purer weld.

13. deto

deto

I love all the info guys. I can always count on the HAMB for good advice. Thanks!

14. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I'd let Marty weld my wheels!

Since I just got my own tig welder, I wouldn't attempt it until I get more experience. But watch out when I get comfortable with this, everything will be tiged!!!! (is that the past tense of tig)

15. What about heating and bending the steering arms in an inch on both sides, I've done that several times, just a thought.

16. Heo2

Heo2

One warning you can destroy the bearings in the
    lathe if you weld the rim in the late welding current
    pass trough the bearings and due to the bad contact
    burn the bearings.
    My father told me so but since i was younger and
    wiser than him. I continued welding in the lathe
    since i grounded in the rim there was no way that
    would happen.After 2 years of widening and narrowing
    rims.I had the pleasure of change bearings while hearing
    what did i tell you

17. deto

deto

AH YES! the arc between them will give me nice little flat spots in my bearings. Ok, I wont be doing that. I might just put them on the hub and do it that way. Thanks for the input.

18. Heo2

Heo2

draw a line over the rim so you got it back
    in same place after you removed the inch
    and it will fit real nice together and you
    will have no problem with runout
    and a regular steelrim is no way near
    perfect unaltered
    I prefer tiging my rims take longer but
    quieter less sparks and splatter
    more beautyful to fore the tire to look on

19. deto

deto

already grabbed my scribe... We're on the same page

20. Heo2

Heo2

well then hit it and good luck

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be the same as wrapping the rubber vibration dampening strap around a brake drum. It will also make for a lot smoother cut.

You might want to check your state's RCW's though as I believe this state has something in it about welded rims not being acceptable. It states no cracks or repairs by welding on the rim. That you can read what you want into.
    section 2.
    <table style="padding-right:5px" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="bottom">RCW 46.37.369

Wheels and front suspension.

</td> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="top" align="right">
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table> (1) No vehicle shall be equipped with wheel nuts, hub caps, or wheel discs extending outside the body of the vehicle when viewed from directly above which:

(a) Incorporate winged projections; or

(b) Constitute a hazard to pedestrians and cyclists.

For the purposes of this section, a wheel nut is defined as an exposed nut which is mounted at the center or hub of a wheel, and is not one of the ordinary hexagonal nuts which secure a wheel to an axle and are normally covered by a hub cap or wheel disc.

(2) Tire rims and wheel discs shall have no visible cracks, elongated bolt holes, or indications of repair by welding. In addition, the lateral and radial runout of each rim bead area shall not exceed one-eighth of an inch of total indicated runout.

(3) King pins or ball joints shall not be worn to the extent that front wheels tip in or out more than one-quarter of an inch at the lower edge of the tire.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Metal-finish your welds, and they won't be visible.

23. deto

deto

ok so... I spoke before I checked. The lathe isn't big enough. The rim hits the ways when it's chucked up. Anybody local to me wanna let me use their brake lathe?

24. deto

deto

Actually hold that thought. I moonlight a couple nights a week at another shop. I will check on monday and see if it's possible for me to use that one.

25. jimbousman

jimbousman

Done it a few times. Only problem I had was getting the rim air tight so I could run tubeless tires. Took a few touchup welds to get it right.

26. docmike

docmike

Officer: It looks like you been weldin' on these here rims? Accordin' to section 2. RCW 46.37.369,Tire rims and wheel discs shall have no visible cracks, elongated bolt holes, or indications of repair by welding.

Driver of car: What weld? Oh, this weld? I don't know anything about that, it goes all the way around the wheel. It looks like that's how the wheel was manufactured.

Doc

27. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

Hell.........we have done it with no lathe.........cut it with torch, grind smoth, set it back togeather and but two squares across the faces to true them up.........

28. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Skidmarks has the right proceedure as far as welding. I have narrowed and widened over a 1000 wheels and have never had a problem. You got to know how to weld as mentioned by others. In the beginning and even on occasion now ,I stick weld em with 6013 on high amps with a 3/32 rod. Good penatration and flat bead. Always welded them on the inside. You wind up with a nice outside appearance if your welding is on the money.practice, practice!! But now you got shit in your game as your lathe is too small, but will the other shop be willing to possibly screw up their bearings.MMMMMM

29. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

30. A Boner

A Boner

The way I read it, it says you can't repair it by welding......it says nothing about welding it to narrow it!