Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955-57 GMC 100 dash pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotwired, Sep 27, 2010.

1. hotwired

hotwired

Can anyone show me what the layout is on one of these dashes? Mine has been changed around (switches missing, toggle switches added, etc), and I'd like to put everything back in the right place. A couple close shots ought to do it. Thanks guys! :rolleyes:

2. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

Here are a couple i found online.

Attached Files:

3. hotwired

hotwired

Thanks shortdog, that'll help quite a bit. My internet search techniques are lacking LOL

4. cadman89

cadman89

I drive a 56 GMC I found this picture..

[​IMG]

I can take some better pictures in the morning if you like...

Cadman

5. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

i have a 59 100 and the dash is the same as the pics shown.

6. hotwired

hotwired

Well the dash has switches that don't do anything, and blank plugs in places where there probably should be a switch. Plus the wiring is all goofy. The battery is always going dead because one of the tail lights stay on (you can barely see it) Wiring is a drag...

7. hotwired

hotwired

Oh and thanks, cadman & bullet man

8. cadman89

cadman89

Blank plugs and panels are just because everything was optional back then.
    My truck has one inside visor, no Tachometer, and no Radio....Work truck! For the Tail Light...Check the brake light switch at the base of the steering column and the grounds on the tail lights.
    Here are some pictures I took this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

Cadman

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Those dashes are hands-down one of the best looking factory dashes since the Auburn/Duesenberg days. I swapped a GMC dash into a 55 Chev stepside I had in HS. It was worth every hour it took. Of course I installed all S-W gauges which was even more fabrication, but what a great look that was.

dj

10. hotwired

hotwired

Cadman thanks - this is yours? Nice! In the last photo, what is the toggle switch for, is that original? The wiring needs to be re-done on mine. I will check that switch! Do you know of a good source for parts? I need things such as wiper arms, patch panels, etc.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  11. cadman89

cadman89

The toggle switch was put on for the fog lights on the front of "Frances" my purple pickup.

[​IMG]

Parts.. I have used these places.

http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/
    http://www.lmctruck.com/
    http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/
    http://www.gmcpaulstruckparts.com/55-59parts.htm

I did get the wrong front brake lines from LMC but they fixed the problem. The part numbers were wrong in the catalog.

Cadman

12. to "Hotwired" = I find LMCtruck.com VERY good. I also use ClassicIndustries.com, JEGS, Summit Racing, and others, depending on what I am looking for. Ask each of them for their catalogs and dog-ear or paper clip pages you find of interest. Look in each of them as some have better prices for the same thing.
    Learn to search. Go to Google.com and type in whatever you want. If you do not get it, call it something else (re-phrase, reword your search) and try again and again and again. Sooner or later you will hit a word or combination of words that gives you what you want. The web is absolutely amazing. Wikipedia.com and Dictionary.com are two of my favorite sources for info - wiki for absolutely anything.
    Happy surfing! Murf

13. Hey "Propwash" - Help!
    I have a 1955 Chevy 2nd Series, 3100 deluxe, (large rear window) with a Monte Carlo front clip, a '93 bed on it & GMC hood (2 owners back's mods). I am just starting to make MY changes to it. Got most of the parts I need to build a modified version of the 1969 Z-28 (SBC 302). 1969 Z block (now .030 over) and heavily reworked 2.02/1.60 Z heads; new Liberty 3" stroke forged rotating assembly w/ JE dome pistons (but cutting back to about 10.2:1 CR (vice OEM 11:1); Howards roller cam, tappets & rockers; Charlie Price @ Vintage Speed's 3-2 barrel Intake system (vice the factory solid cam and 4 barrel). Charlie Price is great to deal with vice dick Dick York.
    Here is where I wish your input = It has Autometer gauges in the stock shape '55 dash. I do not like the Autometer gauges and wish to change the SHAPE of the gauge area. The GMC instrument area you installed sounds like it is, or is close to, what I want. Please tell me what you can about the mod(s) you made to make that change.
    Hurry up as I am almost 73 and the clock is ticking :) ! ! ! {Just kidding, I hope.}
    Murf

14. tomb23

tomb23
    from Oregon

Think this shows them

Attached Files: