Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need Help on Rear Buggy Spring..Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Apr 15, 2012.

1. 6-71

6-71

I have mine tacked in at 42",there is obviously not much weight on the spring right now,but I think the angle looks pretty close on the shackles.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. 37RAT

37RAT
    from Wisconsin

Good Morning Bob, I haven't made a spreader yet for the "T" spring although I do have a couple for an "A" spring. With our reversed eye "T" springs we're going to have to have a different set up if we need to spread the spring without dismantling it down to the main leaf. I'm still trying to understand the philosophy of spreading the spring (preloading) as compared to a parallel leaf set-up with a shackle on one end and the leaf flipped over. Preloading the "A" or "T" spring of course, has tension pulling back towards the center of the spring and thus the lift or ride height of the vehicle. I guess that is why it's confusing to get the right distance to mount the perchs on the axle, I don't want to have to re-do those one I set them up. Maybe I'll call Speedway and see if I get any different answer than what's been posted.

3. LongJohn

LongJohn
    from SW MN

As far as I know, the "pre-tension" in the spring is to keep the car from swaying side to side - eliminating the need for a panhard bar or some other such side control. Later Fords (in the 40's) eliminated this pretension in search of a softer ride which required Ford to start using a panhard bar.

my $.02

4. 37RAT

37RAT
    from Wisconsin

3) To determine the position of the brackets on the
    axle housing, you must estimate the sprung weight of
    the rear of your vehicle. Sprung weight is the total rear
    weight (scaled weight) less the weight of the rearend,
    wheels and tires. Once the approximte weight has
    been calculated, use the chart below to obtain the initial
    mount spacing:
    500 lbs. = 44 inches 750 lbs. = 45 inches
    1000 l

5. 37RAT

37RAT
    from Wisconsin

Sorry, missed a couple measurements: #1000=46" #1250=47" 4) Note the dimension determined in step #3. This is the desired distance from one spring mounting
    bracket eyelet to the other. Mark this dimension on the rear axle housing, centered from side to side.
    Double check pinion angle and wheelbase to assure that axle is located properly.
    5) Position the spring mounting bracket on the axle housing
    with the eyelet centered on the mark made in step #4.
    Make certain the bracket is centered on axle tube, and that
    eyelet is parallel to the spring eye. Check again, this is
    critical. Tack weld in place.
    6) With both spring mounting brackets securely tack
    welded to the axle housing, install the spring shackles
    and lower vehicle to the ground and check ride height.
    Double check all dimensions and finish welding brackets
    i

6. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

the model A and Model T spring are VERY similar in shape to one another. The T spring will lower ur A a bit. But for instance the 1940 spring is WAY WAY different and wont go up into the A rear cross member

7. Lots of good info here.

8. Beau

Beau

Without a doubt one of the better posts on this subject

9. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

OK folks...Update:
    Just came if from the shop, and here is what I did.....
    * Took the spring apart and tried to put just the main leaf in...way too much spread for me at my 46" center to center perch holes...
    * Removed the perches, and rewelded them in at 44" center to center.
    * Spread and put the main leaf in with no problems...(Fastened one end, then made a clamp for the other end of the spring just shy of the reversed eye, inserted the tip of a heavy five foot long bar into it, and laid the balance of the bar across the top of the spring using a 2" piece of wood between the spring top and the bar. Then put a 2x4 about 10" long under the attached shackle and perch to keep it level...parallel... with the rear axle housing. Used a large zip tie to keep the bar from slipping off the spring arch...then put some of my 350# :eek: weight on the bar....Spring immediately went in to place...)
    *Next put the balance of the spring back on using a piece of threaded rod and clamps.
    * Spring shackles sit about level with the axle housing with basically no weight on the back....The center to center hole spacing on the spring is now 41".
    * Decided that was it for me...and welded the perches solid..
    * Here are some pictures showing what I did and the resulting dimensions.
    * Hope this info helps others here...Not saying it is exactly correct, but is what I did, and will live with. It also gives me exactly the ride height I was looking for.
    * Thanks again for all the help and suggestions posted here...this is indeed a great forum....:D
    Cheers,
    Bob

Attached Files:

catdad49 likes this.
  10. Here are a few pictures of a spring spreader that I built for spreading my Model A spring.
    These springs contain a tremendous amount of energy when the are spread and it is important that if you build a spring spreader that it is very strong. I have also included a picture of the end clamps that I built, which will will work on a reversed eye and a spring with a stock eye.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
    catdad49 likes this.
  11. 37RAT

37RAT
    from Wisconsin

Hey Bob, looks like your set up for 500 lbs. of un-sprung weight at 44" on the perch mounts according to the chart from Speedway for the reversed-eye spring that you have. What are you using for trailing arms, radius rods??

12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Not sure yet. I have some old ladder bars that I am kinda figuring on using if I can make them work .
    Stop by any time....
    Cheers...

13. HD I have a Model A rear spring under my Roadster. It has been shortened 1.5 inches per side and the eyes are reversed. I used the main leaf and took out the next 2 then used the next 1 and then skipped 1 and used a bunch of small ones to make up the size to fill the crossmember.
    Here is a picture.
    [​IMG]

14. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Sweet ! :)

15. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

I use a reverse eye posies model A rear in my modified, I mounted the main leaf, used clamps and a long temporary center bolt, take it slow and be safe. I added leaves until I got to the factory spring clamps and then put those on. Finish the spring stack using hi quality 8 or 10 c clamps and using your temp bolt to draw it all together. After spring pack is clamped securely I removed temp center bolt and installed factory center bolt. Pay attention to what others say about spring pressure! Keep your face and hands in a safe space when using clamps and or tightening center screw, use common sense and work slowly and you a an do it. Most spring spreaders will not work with reverse eyes springs.

16. Hey guys, question for those of you that have used this speedway mid arch spring in a spring over axle configuration, hows it working out for you? Any bottoming out issues with the cross member and the top of the axle? I read that somewhere on a full fender car..just curious before I order mine. Thanks