Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old Movie Title.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spanner, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Does anybody remember a surf type movie from the sixties which a band is entered in some kind of competition at a hot rod show and one of them turns up in a bubble top custom along the lines of Dean Jeffries Manta Ray.I saw it as a kid and can't remember the name of the movie or much of the plot.Possibly had the Beach Boys in it.Can anyone help?

2. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking Bikini Beach, but I could be wrong.

3. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

You just described every 60s beach film they made.

4. peter johnson

peter johnson

Bikini Beach was about professor trying to prove a monkey was smarter then a teenager,is this any clue?:cool:

5. Don't know but Frankie Avalon was probably in it.....or Annette!

6. chubbie

chubbie

was Don Rikals <sp? in the movie? how about Stevie Wonder?

7. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

Surfite made a brief appearance in Beach Blanket Bingo. ??

8. Jimmy

Jimmy

I think you're talking about Beach Ball, starring Edd Byrnes and Chris Noel.

The band, called The Wigglers, enters a contest at an auto show and, to get there to perform ride in Bill Cushenberry's Silhouette.

Here's a link for more info:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058952/

9. Deuces

Deuces

10. TCM -Turner Classic Movies is showing Beach movies this week in the evening in celebration of Spring Break.

11. Deuces

Deuces

Wish I had cable...:(

12. BIKINI BEACH tonight at 11pm on tcm

13. dlotraf

dlotraf

Beach Ball. It was on TMC Wensday nite. They ran several beach movies. And does anyone who saw that know the car? That movie was made in 1964 and released in 1965. They said the producers were lucky because they got the Supreams, (looks spelled wrong), before the hit the charts, but by the time the movie was released in 65 they had hit it big. I think I reconize the buildings where the show was. Maybe the 64 Oakland Roadsters Show? I know if I'm wrong (probably) some one will chime in.

14. Staggeringly bad teen-fracas from Paramount begins with animated opening credits that look as if they were drawn by a ten-year-old...and it gets worse from there. Stock surfing footage, a hot rod show, Edd Byrnes showing off his hairy, flabby chest, four guys in drag--"Beach Ball" makes the modest Frankie & Annette "Beach Party" flicks seem masterful by comparison. Odd that a major movie studio like Paramount got caught knocking-off a B-studio series and still came up with a loser. This has some of the worst cinematography, writing, directing and acting I've ever seen in a major commercial release. "Beach Ball" does earn one lone star simply by featuring the fabulous Supremes at the hot rod show, singing the title track and "Surfer Boy" (Diana Ross, sporting an Annette-like bouffant, is far more accomplished at lip-synching than her cohorts, but they look great together and the two songs aren't bad). Otherwise, this "Ball" is deflated.

ha ha ha ha ha..............

15. Yeah, I think Jimmy nailed it with "Beach Ball" .

...Best part of movie outside the rock cameos is the cars. Two featured: Bill Cushenberry's Silhouette which later became an AMT model and one of the original HotWheels miniatures. Typical early Sixties custom with open hood, bubble top and tuck and roll interior.

The movie also featured a car show that included Bob Urquhart's 1927 Model T Roadster which appeared on the cover of the October 1962 Hot Rod magazine and numerous other magazines through 1964. Car was powered by a 1954 DeSoto hemi and also featured a Cadillac transmission and Corvette rearend. Car is iconic of the "custom rod" era and is currently owned by Jim Gilliam of Des Moines and is being restored to original condition.

16. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

You are not missing anything. Those Frankie beach movies really stink. Not worth watching for a glimpse of a car or, musician doing a bad lip sync.

17. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Def. Beach Ball....Just watched it

18. srs1

srs1

Watched it this morning. All it needed was 'Eric Von Zipper'. I really should get rid of the DVR/TV in my shop, I might get something done.

19. firingorder1

firingorder1

Of course they're stinkers. BUT Bikini Beach is well worth a look. Just for the cars that is. I don't know what they stuck on Annette's head but it looks like a German Bundt cake. Crappy trailer. Skip to 1:20 and you'll get a hint as to why its worthwhile.

http://youtu.be/lL0zQklrDL0