Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Anyone out there that can ID this old Custom 1936 Ford Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by TinWolf, Apr 16, 2012.

1. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

Hi HAMB:ers !
    I found this "customized" 1936 Ford Roadster on eBay :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1936...8622252?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item231c4c5e2c
    Well this doesnt look all that pretty buy hey it has endured the test of time and is still around , when I saw the frontend I figured this could be a abused Harry Westerguard or George Barris old original , remember what the old ZaroMerc look like before it was restored back to glory , please look it over and see if you can figure this one out or possibly know its history !
    Filled trunklid , -40 Ford dash , Cadillac grill (what year) , hoodsides , hmm are those headlights on different hights , outch maybe a later redo !
    Wolf

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. UGH! To me, the 36 Ford roadster is the high water mark as far as early V8s are concerned. There is little that you can do to improve their appearance. Lower the front a bit, chop the windshield a few inches, bigs and littles and yer done. That car makes me sad.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Wow, as soon as I saw it, I was going to say South American custom!

4. metal man

metal man

Somebody please buy that car and put it back to being a '36 Ford ! Please ?

5. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

Here are some of the suspect era built cars but they were all convertibles , still the elements are there if you look passed the -59 Cadillac taillights and the not so era hubcaps !

Attached Files:

6. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Maybe the guys uncle built the car.

7. F&J

F&J

Take car number 1 and put on the headlights from car number 3.

car 1 is wicked nice, but the lights look exactly like a MGTF, so that spoils it for me.

8. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

Those KMart hubcaps are a disgrace. The grille looks like '37 or '38 LaSalle

9. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

Yes , very possible , by the early sixties the parts were possibly available in the junkyards and he had read the little custom magazines what they built on the west coast in the fourties and made the best of it , still there was California built customs spread over the continental US by 1960 so its not impossible , the lavender -36 Convertible is one !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  10. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

Morning Wolf!
    you could be right..the dash and the interior looks to be done before the sixties.
    someone should bring this one back on the track again no matter what!

-Palle

11. Hi Wolf!

I saw it too and thought what the heck have they done.But it´s looks like its not all ruined with some love and tender it can be a great car.But on the other side it would be cool to know the story behind it.

12. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

I contacted the current owner who answered my question:

Hi !
    Very intresting to see this old custom , do you know if the car was partly customized when he brought it in the early sixties or did he build it from a stock -36 Ford roadster !

His answer:

Thanks for your interest. My Uncle bought this car and customized it (his way). I do know that the Cadillac grill was his idea and of course the shaved handles. He had also told me about welding in the rumble seat. I never asked him why. Still a mystery. It is my belief that it was built from a stock 36 Ford Roadster but I am not a mechanic or Ford expert.

The dream of a fourties custom was fun while it lasted , ohwell !
    Still its a -36 Roadster with loads of potential to build a fourties era custom , whos up for it !
    Wolf

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  13. 00 MACK

00 MACK

He may be off on his decades, who knows....What atate was the guy from when he built it?

14. F&J

F&J

One rear pic of the registration marker plate "looks" like it might be an older Connecticut plate.

15. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

Dont know but the car is now in Savannah Georgia , see text copied out of the auction :

Up for your consideration is a 1936 Ford Roadster that was purchased by my late Uncle in the early '60s. My Uncle was a machinist for many years and extensively modified the vehicle to make it a HotRod of the early '60s. Modifications include custom front fenders with headlamps incorporated into the fenders, Cadillac LaSalle Front Grill and transplanted small block Chevrolet drivetrain w/3 spd circa late '50s. The engine is a V8 with 2 barrel Rochester. The doors have the handles shaved and the cockpit is modified with a '40s front panel and red leather seats. Custom carpet of the '60s period was used for the interior. The back of the car has been modified by welding and sealing in the rumble seat. It is now accessible storage from behind the front seats. The tail lights are from a late '50s Cadillac. Both front and back bumpers are from an early model Dodge product. We have had car show enthusiasts that have helped in the identification of the different mods. The body is all steel. The frame appears to be complete and original '36 Ford. Brakes have been updated hydraulics. This car was started and ran just over a year ago. This vehicle is now located in Savannah GA and will need to be trailered to its new owners location. We will set up viewing times for locals that wish to take a look.

Wolf

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Very possible that’s a original northern ca custom judging by a few things .. but mostly the 34 Pontiac hood sides = = = = Rarely to never done except by Westergard and Bertolucci

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  17. Tate

Tate

Anyone else notice the taillights under the spare tire? Looks to me like he got an old custom and did a bit of modifying himself and put a really crappy paint job on it (overspray on the dash and over the rubber on the fender taillights, etc). Someone please save this car, wish I could.

18. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Wow it's a damn shame to see a perfectly good 36 turned into that

19. rc57

rc57

That reminds me of a VW with a '40 Ford nose. 36's deserve SO much more than that.

20. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

cool car regardless... just needs a little help. Whoever put those hubcaps on there needs their face slapped.

21. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Good to dream on what to do to finish the car.

Would be interesting to see it back in the red paint, or black but it seemed to be red before. Drop the back a couple inches and put on skirts or at lease get rid of the goofy wheel openings. Toss the spare tire right along with the caddy taillights. Don't have any taillights on the fenders. The front wheels look like they are set out too far in the fenders. Not sure why that is but would look better an inch or two farther in. Caddy sombreros to replace the K-mart specials.

Hope someone on the HAMB buys it and gives the car another chance as a custom.

22. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

That's a pretty ugly custom as it currently sits, but it has potential. Here's a super super fast photoshop job...
    -Aaron

Attached Files:

23. striper

striper

I'm with you Aaron. Not too big a job to make this a nice one.

24. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

Hi Aaron !
    Thanks for the photoshop , the potential of a great -36 Ford roadster custom is there if someone could look passed the not so era stuff , anyone that can help with a front view possibly ad -40 Lincoln bumper and shift those headlights inward a foot on each side , well I can see it in front of me all dolled up and cream color , mmm !
    Wolf

25. Great job Aaron! That brings the inner beauty out. The only other things I would do is remove the spare wheel cover and line up front hood side with the front hood line.
    photoshop quickie.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

26. That sure looks nice.Shows that underneath that ducklingfasade is a beatyfull swan waiting to come out, wish I had the money to do it.

27. redo32

redo32

A buddy came by the shop & showed me pictures of his new '36. This is it. Did any body find anything about it's early history? He wants to bring the body back closer to stock. I kind of like the funky custom.

28. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Yes, I know something about it. PM me his phone number.

29. 336ford

336ford
    from Eugene OR

I had been watching this car for quite some time before I mentioned it to my friend. I know that as a custom it's no beauty, but I've seen worse. Quite frankly, this is what they were doing in 1962. The thing about this car is that, despite the custom work, it's a fantastic car owned by the same person for over 50 years. All of the bones are still there. The big concern right now is the way the dash was installed. We're hoping that the '40 dash is just laid on top of the rolled lip, and that the roll wasn't cut. In the photos I've seen of the car, it looks to be intact. Everything that was done on this car can be undone, and it's not a rust bucket. The new owner is a fantastic metal worker, so this car will be terrific when it's done, and it won't end up looking like a Boyd bondowagon.

30. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden