Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to use to give the sandcast look

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WILTBILT13, Apr 18, 2012.

1. WILTBILT13

WILTBILT13

Have a couple pieces of aluminum was wondering what everybody is using to blast them to give the best sandcast look?

2. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

sandblast em or bead plast em

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Yep!!! Only sand can give that look!

4. swissmike

swissmike

A pneumatic scaler can also give you a pseudo finish. Maybe combine with the sandblasting.

5. 28 jalopy

28 jalopy
    from arizona

I have used sand on T6061 billet I have machined to give the cast look. It turns out nice,and a light hit with light grit sandpaper to give a past polish look.

6. I saw a guy pass off his aluminum aftermarket intake manifold as a cast iron item. This was on a stock car, bending the rules a tad. The trick was to mix up some brake drum shavings in a quart of Chevy orange paint and slap it on the manifold.

Apply more shavings when it was still wet, let it dry and give it another coat of paint. Didn't look bad and was supposed to pass the "magnet" test.

Bob

7. Sand blasting and quick scuff to remove the high rough ridges will give you the surface texture.
    A sand cast part has characteristics all of its own, there is no dead flat or square areas unless it was machined after, every surface has some draft to it.

8. oldolds

oldolds

Sandblast then clear. Looks a little different, but easy to clean. Won't stain.

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Glass bead-blast. Thats what I use on vintage motorcycle engine/trans cases.

10. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Agree with the "sand blast" but not the "Bead blast". Sand is coarse enought to replicate the sand cast look but all glass beads to is give everthing a satin finish. Sand will knock down corners and erode weld beads-glass won't.

11. williebill

williebill

A kid who works for me had his aluminum bicycle frame sandblasted. He used a powdercoater who has a big blaster,running at a pretty high pressure,coarse sand,etc. Left the tubes pretty rough,and it looks like it was cast now.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

13. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

Started with a billet piece, after coarse sand blast it was soda blasted to knock down the sharp peaks, then primered & painted. P

Attached Files:

14. Ricci32

Ricci32

I have used a hammer and sand paper to finish a repair on a triumph motorcycle case the trick was giveen to me by a old bike restorer. worked fantastic different course paper for the correct finish.

15. Kind of like a texture stamp, I'm going to have to try that.