Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rebuilding water pumps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wicked Tin, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

Does anyone know of someone that rebuilds Cadillac water pumps in the MPLS/STP area? Or anyone somewhat local to the Twin Cities? I know there are great rebuilders out there but it costs a small fortune to ship it to them, I was hoping that someone around here does this still or is not that hard to do this myself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Have you tried napa? I believe they can get it rebuilt for you

3. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

haven't tried them yet, I have asked a few of the others( O'Riellies, Car Quest, etc.) if they can get new ones with no luck.

4. something that old you could do yourself just take your time. soak it and measure the distance from pulley flange to casting and go for it. you could invest in small press and the bearing and seal are likely common sizes from local bearing supply house. post some pic's on the tech.

5. Tin, try Kantor they should have what you need and you only have to ship a core back. Small price to pay for peace of mind, as they do a bang up job, good folks there, TR

6. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I sent a weird one in from a ford v4 and a 1937 olds 8 through NAPA had it back in a week and the price wasn't to bad.

7. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

not hard to do it your self if you have basic shop skills. if I get an oddball one, that's what I do. beats trying to track down a new one or waiting for some catch-penny rebuilder to do a half assed job.

8. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Arthur Gould rebuilders out of kings Mill, NY I had the an issue with a 57' Caddy 365" water pump. Had it rebuilt by a local rebuilder leaked immediately. They warranted and did it again, that rebuild lasted 500 miles till it started leaking again. Sent it out to Arthur Gould and they machined the guts to except a modern press in impellor assembly. Turn around time was less than 2 weeks. Its the ONLY way to go. Alot less than one from Egge or Kanter also.

9. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

Thanks everyone, I am looking into all the options, sending to Gould, NAPA, and possibly trying to do it myself. Has anyone on here rebuilt thier own before? What do I have to do or better yet not do get it right?

10. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

checked with NAPA today, they said they send it off to Texas to have it rebuilt, IF they can rebuild it (only 80% of the pumps they get they rebuild) they will give me a price then...WTF! Yah...not going to happen that way. Would have to pay shipping both ways even if they can't fix it. Any other ideas from anyone before I spend the big money and send it to a reputable rebuilder on the coasts?

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I worked at a Pontiac dealership in the mid 70's one of the guys there rebuilt the Pontiac waterpumps that went out on warranty with factory parts. I never did one but watched him a few times and it isn't that hard. I would imagine that most GM dealers had to do the same in the 70's and maybe later and you might see if there is an older mechanic that did/does them. I've heard things about having Gould rebuild hard to get pumps in the past though and that is were I'd send one.