Register now to get rid of these ads!

331 cadillac oil system HELP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by midwestford, Apr 17, 2012.

1. midwestford

midwestford
    from Michigan

Any help is appreciated!

Here is what i got, oil is getting to the filter and the left(drivers) head, but lower end knock and no oil to the right(passenger) rockers.

low mileage motor that has been sitting

all stock

Things already attempted, did a motor flush multiple times

removed rockers and cleaned both sides

manual oil pressure gauge on the oil filter line reads 35 PSI

To me it seams that it would have a oil passage blocked somewhere but where???? what passage only controls the right side of the heads? and why would i get a lower end knock (or is it a lower end knock and not the rockers making all the noise?)with 35 PSI at the filter???

Any Ideas Gentleman would be greatly appreciated. If i cant figure this out in the car out goes the motor.

If pics are needed let me know i will be glad to post some

Thanks

2. F&J

F&J

bump for the night Caddy guys.

3. shiftervic

shiftervic
    from So. Cal.

Perhaps a collapsed lifter...they get pretty loud.

4. Noland

Noland

the oil comes up the rocker shaft bolts and fill the rocker shaft with oil. Make sure you have the right bolts and dont put any silicone on the bolts this can clog the oil passages. I would take out the distributor and run the oil pump with a drill to try and get oil up there.

5. midwestford

midwestford
    from Michigan

manually prime the engine...will do!

Another thing i was noticing was i thought the 331 cadillac had hydro lifters, as "shiftvic" states, but my push rods are solid. Is this right? or does it need the hydro style push rods to allow oil flow and the lifters to pump up?

thanks again for the help guys!!

6. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

IF it's similar to 303-324 Olds, the pushrods should be solid. The lifters get oil from the lifter bores in the block.

7. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Maybe this will help...

[​IMG]

8. midwestford

midwestford
    from Michigan

Thanks this does help. I will check the rear plug area as shown in the diagram for any blockage. Going to yank the intake and valley pan off and remove the lifters to make sure none are sludged up! I will post an update.

9. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Good luck and be sure to let us know how it turns out.

10. midwestford

midwestford
    from Michigan

ok guys i finally had time from the shop to look at my own cars! The caddy has a broken piston skirt, chunks in the pan and bad oil pump drive. It is plugged solid!

Pulling the 331 in need of rebuild kit! or a good 331, 365 or maybe a 390 for replacement. Perfer the 331.

Thanks for all the Help