Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The '41 Merc chop......(((NEW PICS)))

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Pete

Pete

Anybody know where I can score some trim for this baby, maybe some tail lights???

Pete-

2. I like where you are headed with the coupe, but I also thought the rear window might look a wee bit better after lowering:

[​IMG]

I'm great at customizing someone else's car... :D

-Dave

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  3. farmer12

farmer12

Looking good, nice chop!

4. Pete

Pete

Thanks for the photo shopping of the rear window!!! It does look better!!!

Pete-

5. Anytime I can create more work for someone.. :eek::D;)

-Dave

6. fleet-master

fleet-master

x3 was thinkin the same thing but too scared to say :D

7. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I like the way it is looking, But I had to lower it.....LOL

Attached Files:

8. Pete

Pete

Here is Tony's photo shop with the rear window moved down and the door top installed.

Pete-

Attached Files:

9. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

10. Pete

Pete

I have never been this so damn frazzled over a chop!

11. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

12. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

it just shows how much you care...

13. Pete

Pete

Awwwwe.......

Seriously...Im still not sure I like it?????? Is this my mid life crisis!!! Mark, have you already had yours?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  14. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Pete,
    I understand where you are coming from, We did a ford a few years ago and I did not like the way it turned out, So I sold it unfinished. These are hard cars to chop and make look right, That rear quarter window just seems to get worse and worse No matter what a guy does. Leaning the B pilar seems to help a little IMO, I know some guys like the "barris" chops on these cars, But I always thought they looked wrong. (rushed if you will) I have spent hours looking at many pics of these cars chopped, And found very few that look right to me. I am going to do another long door coupe, Only this time I am going to just put a carson style top on it like this car. Oh yea and the 49 caddy quarters as well.

Attached Files:

15. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your not happy, now is the time to change it. You'll know when you have the "right look". The last 50 I chopped I was not 100% happy with the results. All I needed to do was take one more inch out of the rear, but it was too late. Soon as I got the car in primer and out doors to get a good look at it, I sold it a week later.
    This is a good looking chop on thei 41 Ford,although I prefer the gutters left on.
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Pete

Pete

That's the reason I stopped working on it for the time being, iv been working on my 73 land rover and just peering over at the Merc every so often, If I have to get another roof I will, but I really think it just needs some fine tuning.

Pete

17. 28 jalopy

28 jalopy
    from arizona

I love that pic and I think I prefer the gutters shaved! Keep up the good work though,go with the flow and do what feels right.

18. Pete

Pete

I kind of like the second to last chop best....

Attached Files:

19. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the door window shape much better. Guess I am just not a fan of angled/slanted door windows.

20. afaulk

afaulk

When you get it done, people who like old Mercs will like it. I'll bet not one in 50 will say "dude ya should have lowered the rear window another quarter inch". 41 is my favorite Merc and I LIKE IT!!!!!!! I LIKE IT, I LIKE IT, I LIKE IT!~!!!!

21. Custom54

Custom54

My buddies, gearheadforever.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

ummm...no.

i'm not old enough to have had one. yeah, that's it.

i think you might be too wrapped up in it now. walk away for a few days. go look at it after fitchburg.

from a distance through electronic media, i think it looks great. and each time you change it, it looks better. but you have to stop at some point.

i think dropping the window is that point.

23. Pete

Pete

Where can I buy some '41 Merc taillight lenses??? I see the bezels everywhere but never the actual lenses...

Pete-

24. Smokey2

Smokey2

###########################################

I "Think", You did gooder than Shit ! But I'm jest an "ole Hillbilly",
    Soooo, What do I know ???
    Let's see the Rest Of The Story ! More Pics, More of tha' Build.

Smokedup in tha' Great
    Smokey Mts. of Tennessee................. :cool:

25. That one looks good, pull the rear wheels off to get a better feel for it.

26. 38ft

38ft
    from florida

A quote from a recently departed friend of mine . " I'm not in the judging buisness , Its your car , build it the way YOU want to , if people dont like it ...... @#$% them " ... fill in the blank . but for an honest opinion , I think it looks BAD ASS !!

27. did mine 3 times, yours is flowing well. I have a pondering chair I sat back about 30 feet and just kept moving the the chair (and a 6 foot ladder) and the roof till I was happy. no one else really counts.......Jim

28. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

29. Pete

Pete

Are 41 Merc and 41 Ford glass taillight lenses the same???

Im having a hard time finding the glass lenses.

Pete-

30. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Pete, I am currently working on my chopped 46 buisiness coupe, and have a couple of long door coupes waiting in line, have patience my friend, these are extremely hard cars to chop , they have compound curves on the roof skin and when you lean the rear of the roof foward, you have to redo the corner sail panel between the quarter window and rear window so you can get it to flow to the trunk area, and you have to redo pretty much the whole quarter window, they seem to get small and egg shaped in poportion to the door window openning once you chopp them. On top of this , you are converting a club coupe to a business coupe, which is a large feat in it self. I have lots of spare parts for these cars so if their any thing I can do to help, let me know, I'll try to start a thread with some pictures and hopefuly their will be some info that will be useful for you, I feel the bitchen thing aboat these cars is that they are many ways to chopp them and it is up to your personal perference on which style you pick, I feel you're car is well planned and you are on the right track. good luck and best wishes Miguel.