Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 62 skylark build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haroldsrodshop, Jan 8, 2012.

1. haroldsrodshop

haroldsrodshop

Here is my buick I am working on, Hoping to have it road worthy next spring. I just finished the metal work in roll pan and quarter panels. I am looking to make it it a mild custom. I made my own roll pan with a recessed license plate and moved the bumperettes in the center. I have removed some of the trim pieces on it as well. I think I want to keep the paint scheme the same burgundy and white maybe with lace in roof. I want the lace to be subtle though. I did lower the car a couple inches but I would like to go a few more. I am thinking of just painting the stock wheels black and putting on bullet lugs and center caps.. Whitewalls maybe? Looking for input, let me know what you think.

2. haroldsrodshop

haroldsrodshop

Here is some pics.

Attached Files:

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

nice ride - what motor? maybe use a super sparkle metallic silver rather than white.

4. Nice work so far, keep it up. I say Astro Supremes with skinny whitewalls, they go with 60's cars for the custom style like you are working on. Lower is better, couple more inches would look good.

5. haroldsrodshop

haroldsrodshop

It has the original 215 w/ a 2 speed auto. I dont care for the automatic though... Eventually I would like to put a T-5 in it. I like the idea of silver intead of white for the roof, I actually never thought of that. What are the thoughts on having the burgundy a satin finish and the roof shiny(silver or white)?

6. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

It really needs a nail valve engine, They will fit with some work, but maybe you don't like getting smoke in your eyes! Looks good! Pat

7. 60 ford

60 ford

Cool build, It would be great to put a nailhead in it.

8. haroldsrodshop

haroldsrodshop

Ya Ive had alot of guys try to talk me into a bigger engine for it... it is underpowered. and I maydown the road. on a pretty strict budget right now. For now I just want to make a nice driver for this summer. As far as the astro supremes go I really like the way they look too. Have to do some modifying though as my bolt pattern is 4x4 1/2. How difficult is that to change?

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The Buick (and Pontiac) versions of the 215 aluminum V8 were lookalikes to the larger buick iron V8's of the period (401) as were the smaller 300 cu in iron block aluminum head introduced in '64 "A" body buicks.

The weight difference of any early nailhead is waaay too much for the chassis in your '62 skylark. A car that has always been a favorite of mine, though I have yet to own one.

If you ever do wish increase the cubes under the hood, I would urge you to consider the '64/'66 300 engine as it's dimensions are very close to your current 215 and if you do score a '64 with aluminum heads, the weight gain won't be all that bad either. The 340 could also be used but it doesn't have the nailhead style heads/valve covers.

The '64 and later V6 and V8 small block bucks used the BOP bell housing pattern like the later Buick/olds/Pontiac engines and provide a wide range of transmission options. The early V6 and 215 V8 had a unique, and smaller, block pattern. There were stick versions of these, including factory T-10 4 speeds, though.....so if you wanted to keep the 215 V8 and convert to a T-5, it is doable with stock engine parts and a GM pattern T-5 trans.

Ray

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

No need to change the bolt pattern, just find a set of 4 lug Tru Spokes or Star Wires or Cragars, or rockets, or keystones.....you get the picture ;)
    Lovin it BTW.

11. haroldsrodshop

haroldsrodshop

<TABLE id=post7325222 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_7325222 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: My 62 skylark build
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->No need to change the bolt pattern, just find a set of 4 lug Tru Spokes or Star Wires or Cragars, or rockets, or keystones.....you get the picture ;)
    Lovin it BTW.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    i keeps it real
    http://www.unitylowrider.co.uk/
    <!-- / sig --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>I am not crazy about wires, thanks for the input though. As far as the engine goes, It probably wont get another one until I have a Model A to put the 215 in:)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  12. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

So let 4lug mags be it then.
    keep us updated w/ the build man.

13. haroldsrodshop

haroldsrodshop

I am removing some of the chrome trim and all of the emblems on my car. Got rid of trunk trim, long taillight extensions on the Quarter panel , rocker trim, wheelwell trim, and the lettering on the hood and deck lid. Going to something different with the portholes in the fenders too, got some ideas just havnt settled on anything yet.

I am considering getting rid of the drip rails, just because they are really big. I know this has been done. I am wondering though, will I have leaking issues if I do? I plan on driving the car alot and dont want water issues. I can always just make them a little smaller too... or just leave them alone. What do you all think?

I am also looking for a source for the short tail light extensions that came on the 62 specials. Anyone know where I can find some?

Attached Files:

14. SUBSCRIBED!! This is going to be a cool one! Your best bet for those parts is probably EBAY. You would be amazed what shows up on their. Keep us posted. Todd

15. slim tempo

slim tempo

Love the '62. Keep us informed. I bought a set of Corvair chromies for my wagon and they are looking good. If you wish to see what your ride looks like with certain alterations, snap a photo and post it on the photoshop thread. There are some really artistic folks on this site who will help. Good luck.

Attached Files:

16. BatzNY

BatzNY

Sign me up, I am having similar problems with the 4x4 1/2 lug arrangement on my buick. I am trying to convert to disc brakes your car looks awesome I'm a sucker for a nice buick. Im subscribed and slim tempo that wagon is tits! loving it

Batz

17. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I once put bullet lugs on a car, they rusted within a month. Dont wate your money on them

18. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

COOL! Glad to see another one on here. Sounds like we have similar ideas. The wheel choices for the 4 lug are pretty much non existent. Anything cool like the cragars in a 4 lug will cost big$$. I scored a set of 15" 4 lugs and will probably just run some caps with skinny whites.

Keep us updated and let me know if there is any questions I can help you with.

Here's mine http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517460

19. haroldsrodshop

haroldsrodshop

Didn't get alot done the other day but here is what I did do... I finished filling the trim holes in my rocker panel, filled in the antenna hole, and removed the deck lid to address some rust issues on the bottom lip. It isn't severe but bad enough that I need to replace some metal. Excuse the bad pics, I used my cel.

Attached Files:

20. kid442

kid442
    from Maryland

62 skylark,
    <O:p</O:pGo to this web site (http://www.scarebird.com/) They have a disc brake bracket and a parts list that can help you. This is the only disc brake conversion I have seen. The other thing is join the Yahoo group (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/skylark616263/)
    <O:p</O:pThey are very active and are a good resource for these cars. They can help you with most anything.
    The other option for 5 lug wheel/brakes is the last 2/3 years of Corvair were 5 lug. You just take your front hubs off and install the corvair set. The rear will need to have the 4 lug holes welded and 5 lug holes drilled.
    Good luck.
    <O:p</O:pKen
    <O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:pPS: This is my project. (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539506&highlight=1963+jetfire)

21. haroldsrodshop

haroldsrodshop

Thanks for the help.. checking into those now. Your car looks great! Good choice to keep that engine. I've made some progress on my car, I'll post some pics later. I just realized how long its been since I posted!

22. PinHead

PinHead

I think the black steelies with bullet lugs and centers, and some cheap skinny whites would look just fine. One of my favorite low-buck looks, actually. Are you still contemplating the lace? For a more subtle look, paint the base white, and do the lace with silver, maybe with just a little burgundy pearl to make it pop.

23. haroldsrodshop

haroldsrodshop

So I made a little progress in the last few weeks... Got some of the car in primer and making some headway with the bodywork. my goal is to have it on the road by June 1...cuz I have some other work lined up to be on at that point.

Don't think I am going to the lace on top now.. thinkin of doing the original burgundy and white... who knows? I will change my mind three more times before paint flies:D

I am for sure going to change it over to five lug.. just for more wheel options. I located a guy near me with several Corvairs and he said he would sell me a set of front hubs and drums off one of them for $50. I will just have to have the rear axles welded and redrilled to 5x4 1/2 by a local machine shop. Seems to be the most cost effective way. I will be pullling those hubs next week, I'll let you all know how it turns out. Worse case scenario, I'm out $50.

Can anyone give me some photoshop help? Id like to see what my car would look like with some 16'' deluxe wheels w/ spidercaps. maybe whitewalls? lets hear what you think.

Attached Files:

24. Tikitaxi

Tikitaxi
    from NorCal

I had a '62 Olds F-85, same body/engine. Still have a good pass side front fender and door if you need it.

25. haroldsrodshop

haroldsrodshop

I could use a door as there is blistering on the bottom lip. What condition is the door? I know the F85 fenders wouldn't work because they are different but not sure about the doors. Probably a stupid question, but do the doors interchange?

26. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

I LOVE 62 GM land yachts!

Oh....you just reminded me...

it's time for me to "Back a Big Brown Buick out of the Garage" ;)

27. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

looking good man, I dig the white/burgandy. I was considering the same colors for mine but I am a long way away from paint.

28. Man I love the 61/62's, but I ended up with a low milage '63.
    I'm in the middle of doing the scare bird disks.

29. haroldsrodshop

haroldsrodshop

Let me know how the scare bird discs work out... I may be interested down the road... just dont have the $ for that now.

30. Its pretty reasonable. I got Corvair hubs from "Flat Top Bob" the rest is easy.
    I still need to figure out the master cyl and have the rear tapped 5-lug.