Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering--pitman arm help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clinkboat, Apr 17, 2012.

1. clinkboat

clinkboat
    from georgia

I thought I had this thing licked--but apparently not!

I'm rebuilding the stock drag link/idler arm/3rd arm on a '54 Bel Air...

The first time I tried to reinstall the pitman arm into the drag link--I just greased it up and and gave it a good whack with a heavy hammer. It went in perfectly with no problems. Since then, I had to take it apart. I tried to seat it again and it just wouldn't go in (insert rude jokes here).

What is the proper way to seat the pitman arm ball without damaging the "cups" (seats) inside the drag link? The idler arm side was no problem--because the set up is slightly different.

thanks for any help!

2. There should be a threaded adjuster on the end. Loosen that up and it should make it easier to get the ball in. It should have a cotter pin, take that out and use a large blade screwdriver. The ball has a spring loaded rounded piece and by forcing it on with a hammer you are potentially messing up the rounded piece that connects to the ball.

3. clinkboat

clinkboat
    from georgia

I did that...and I took the threaded adjuster off and hit the pitman. It actually bent the end of the drag link end where the threads are--and I couldn't straighten it out to even reuse it! Then, like an idiot...I made the same mistake on my second one!!! The new spring and cups make it a TIGHT fit. I ordered a new drag link end and I think I ruined the ball on the pitman. Everything was put it the same as it came out--I even double checked pictures.

Next time, i'm going to screw the cap on the end and figure out the most gentle way of convincing it to go in. It definitely ruined a good Saturday!

4. N2hotrods

N2hotrods

sound like the cups have shifted. you need to check it and make sure the open relief cut is facing out toward the ball or you will ruin it by striking it.