Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Kid and the Machinists

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48chrysler, Feb 1, 2012.

1. 48chrysler

48chrysler
    from Indiana

Today was a day that will be embedded in my mind forever. It all started with the cold brisk morning air and the sun rising, It was one of those perfect drives, open headers and the cold air really makes the engine breath. If you own a Hot Rod then you already know what I’m talking about.

The drive was great but the destination was greater. It all happened last Saturday I was talking to Pete about what I wanted in a motor. The 283 that is in it now is totally stock, she is tired and I thought about freshening it up. One of the guys sold me a 1958 283 so I could drive the coupe while I built the 58 283. I really want something that would be correct for my car. Sure it would be easy to drop in a 350 and be done with it but I feel as if my car deserves more than that. It needs to carry an essence of a time period. Pete talked to me about all of the options, what they (as in he) did back in the day. We talked for at least an hour until my head was going to explode from all the information he was putting in it. We finally nailed it down I wanted a BUILT 283 something that would rev and have compression. He said he would keep his eyes and ears open and if he finds anything he would let me know.

Pete called Monday! He told me It was a secret it, was just between us but he would be willing to sell me his 57 283 270 that He Built for him and when I had time I could go by his shop and check it out. I’ve heard stories about his shop and always wanted to go but I didn’t want to push. This was my chance. I have missed one day of work in 4 ½ years and today was my second . Now this is where the story goes from a guy buying a motor to where a guy goes to one of the most amazing places on the earth.

I can’t describe Pete’s shop, magical is the only word that comes to mind. Pete has lived the racing lifestyle his entire life and I was fortunate enough to see his tools and hear his stories. He gave me the grand tour and showed me the entire shop, explained how the machines worked and gave examples of the things he makes on the machines. He is truly a master machinists. He cannot be replaced and it truly is a art form. Then gave me a tour of all his cars what they were, there ET’s and all the little special things about them. I could listen to Pete talk for days. I’m not going to brag about all the stuff in the shop, that’s not my place to share what he has. But I was amazed. Thank You, for sharing your knowledge to the young guy. I will soon be a proud owner of a Gretz built motor. It is truly an honor, and as Pete said It will really scoot.

God bless the Road Kings!!

2. Love the story, it's a great feeling when one of the cool "older" guys accepts you into the fold.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using TJJ

3. hotrodml

hotrodml
    from G town IN

I hear ya bro. Pete is the guy I now the work he puts in my j2 will be unmatched The Road Kings are truly blessed with even knowing this guy