Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Pontiac StarChief... What can I do to it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mar, Apr 12, 2012.

1. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I'm not really in favor of 'slammed' cars either, but I generally think that just an inch or two totally transforms most of these ol' 50's cars in a way that a lot of folks would never be able to put their finger on. It'll look stock but more "cruiser" and less "grandma's grocery-getter".

The other option is a 'meaty' wheel and tire combo on stock ride-height like the one in your avatar which gives a whole different look. Gives a more racy serious look, but I'm not sure if that really works on something like a Poncho sedan...

2. Personally, I prefer a moderate stance, much like the photo that Mr Sinister posted. If you can find one, a 4bbl manifold and small cfm carb would be an easy swap and no internal changes would be nessesary. Also with a good free flowing dual exhaust system you can add a little more pep and improve the sound of the exhaust.
    As you, I prefer a slight "rake" in stance. Just take your time, don't get in a hurry and try to do it all at the same time. Make it safe and road worthy first and then make 1 or 2 changes at a time but most of all... drive it!

3. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

Thanks for confirming its a four door, great car, the star chief was the top of the line series and has better trim than the 870 4-door i used to own, by the 60s 4-door sedans were among the lower priced economy models,, please post pics.. I'm not against lowering it but i would personally keep it stock..

4. judd55

judd55
    from B.C.

5. derbydad276

derbydad276

tube axel under the front
    big ol 455 poncho under the hood
    pie crust slicks on a set of ansen slots

6. 390kid

390kid

i think its because he asked " what can i do to it". modifying the stance is the easiest way to change the look of a car imo. but if he wants to leave it stock go ahead. reading through the thread the overwhelming theme is to keep the car pretty to close to stock. keep in mind this is coming from a community of hot rod and custom enthusiasts

7. mar

mar
    from OH

Wow thanks for the links and info.. I am looking for the picture and will post it soon as I find it.

judd55.. that is the wheel/tire combo I was imagining.

Oh forgot to add it has the factory AC, but i dont think it functions. I was searching for the pictures I had, but found the appraisal from the estate division. It has the miles at 54k... Can one tell much about the vehicle by its serial?

Thanks for the info! Not sure about 3 2BBL just yet :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  8. carbking

carbking

Congratulations on acquiring a car that has sentimental value as well as real value.

Suggestions:

(1) As others have posted, tune-up, fluids change, check brakes, tires and exhaust and drive it for now. Do some local shows, and cruise-in's. See what others are doing.

(2) Do some research. Acquire the book "Pontiac Musclecar Performance 1955~1979" by Pete McCarthy. Read the book cover to cover.

(3) Continue to post here, but also take a look at the Performance Years Pontiac forums.

As to mods, each individual has their own likes and dislikes. If it were mine, I would leave the body and interior stock with the exception of a modern AM/FM; and concentrate on drivetrain. Drivetrain mods I would make would be pull and perserve the original engine, trans, and rear end. Drop in a 1959 389 with a set of A/M dual fours, a 4-speed manual transmission, an upgraded rear end; and a set of tires sufficient to handle the increased power. I personally love "sleepers".

Jon.

9. mar

mar
    from OH

Sure thing. I have a tab open to performance years right now. I also like sleepers myself.. The current trans is the 3 speed hydramatic column shifter, going with a manual like you say wouldn't that require cutting/modding the chassis? The upgraded rear end, I am thinking you mean a one from another vehicle correct?

My original idea prior to posting was to remove the stock drivetrain, and keep it in storage. But with so many posts about leaving it stock.. I am really not sure, as the points raised about going at it slow and enjoying the car are good ones and adding in my lack of knowledge it makes sense, but you know.. the I wanna cruise now, fast and loud feeling is pretty strong.

10. bryan6902

bryan6902

Look through my 57 build. Lots of stuff you can do but it all comes down to what you want and how much time and money you want to spend on it.

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

The 56-60 engines mentioned are not exactly setup for the 4 speed hydramatic that you have. With the exception of the few 56 models that had the 4 speed hydramatic, the crankshaft will need a pilot bearing installed for the hydramatic input shaft. Jetaway (or Stratoflight as Pontiac called it) do not have pilot shafts, therefore no bearing.

You have one of the strongest hydramatics (54-56 were the strongest). It should work just fine with newer 56 to 60 Pontiac engines.

Another possible issue is that the 60 and up 389's had normal flow cooling, not like the 59 and back engines. They had reverse flow cooling. This may or may not mess with the radiator hose locations.

12. mar

mar
    from OH

Thanks for the link bryan. I will check it out.

Appreciate the info.. I think I really need to get the service manual for this car. Gonna look for it now. I had to put the call on FB for the pictures and if there was a service manual in the stuff left behind.

13. flypa38

flypa38

The service manual is free on that pontiacsafari.com link I posted. It is in .pdf format in the pontiac garage section I think. I use it a lot so I know its there somewhere!

14. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

15. mar

mar
    from OH

For lowering the vehicle are there kits for that, or do I have to get some other springs and have them cut/reduced ? Doing some research I don't see much specifically relating to this type of car, but I am thinking I am on the right track?

And i found a small avatar size pic of the car.. I am still waiting on the full size.

16. There are several ways of lowering a car and there are kits out there but whether there is one for your particular car, I don't know. There are several places that you can get new springs made, www.eatonsprings.com or www.coilsprings.com come to mind. You can contact them with your vehicle information and how much you want to lower your car, generally you can get 2" or 3" lower coils. As far as the rear , it's not difficult to have leaf springs modified. Reversing the eye's will give you approx. a 1 to 1 1/2" drop and you can also have them de-arched. These are the way that I would go about lowering the car if it were mine.
    Cutting and/or heating springs was the way that it was done, back in the day, but not really the safe way. I'm not a real big fan of lowering blocks, either, although a 1 or 2 inch block would not be too bad.
    Dropped spindles in front are a good way of doing it also, but I don't know if they are available for your car.
    Hope this helps...

17. mar... Just ran across a business card while cleaning off my desk. I talked to these people last year at Petit Jean, they had a spot there and were selling some springs. Anyway, I don't know anything about them but what they had with them looked ok. Maybe a St. Louis area h.a.m.b.'er knows something about them or you could PM Jonnie King, I know he live's there...

St. Louis Spring Co.
    3126 Samuel Shepard Dr.
    St. Louis, Mo 6313
    www.stlouisspring.com
    314 533 2132

Might be worth calling and getting a price qoute.

18. bryan6902

bryan6902

I had front springs made, blocks in the rear, 3 inches all around. Rides good, sits right and the alignment is correct. For the rear you have to get a longer shock. I have the part number somewhere, PM me when you need it and I will find it for you.

19. flypa38

flypa38

I'd be interested in that shock part # as well. Any chance you can post the number here? Mine is a 56 Star Chief with 2" blocks.

20. bryan6902

bryan6902

Give me a little time... I'll be in the garage this afternoon, so hopefully I can locate it!

21. mar

mar
    from OH

Grumpy1 again thanks for the info. I was checking that company out. I will give them a call and see what they can do.

Bryan, that shock part# will be good thanks. Where did you have the other springs made?

Ok as for the car.. I think after all the input from you gents that right now it would be best to have the car serviced, tuneup, engine looked at, dual exhaust and lowering and give her some TLC with washing/wax and polishing and drive her to some meets or so on and I am sure that parts will just show up as I go. This way I get to enjoy the car, instead of waiting for the "next part".

Thanks for the ideas and knowledge.

22. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I LOVE the old Ponchos, especially the 55-56s. They are really gaining popularity as of recently, two-door OR four-door. If I had a choice between a Chevy or a Poncho, the Poncho wins hands down.

As you tweak, tune, and modify/customize your new car, just imagine Grandpa standing there watching silently with his hands in his pockets. That ought to give you a pretty good idea as to what you should and shouldn't be doing to it. It's a great car just as it is, you don't need to go monkeying with it to make it cool. It was BUILT cool. What it REALLY needs is to get out on the road and stretch its legs. Let me know if you ever have a hard time finding anything you need for that car. I've got quite a few odds and ends in the workshop, and more friends who own Ponchos than I can shake a stick at. I'd be happy to put you in touch with them. (Reggie, Doug, Walt, Loren, Mark, Matt, and John are all friends of mine who own Pontiacs. GREAT resources.)

23. bryan6902

bryan6902

For the rear shocks use Monroe #32370. Be aware that you WILL have to enlarge the bolt hole in the frame for the upper shock mount. This was easy for me, since by body was off at the time. I glanced at it and there should be enough room to get an angle drill or an angled die grinder with a burr in there. Or you could make the bolt hole in the shock smaller too.... I used 3 inch lowering blocks, in case you didn't catch that in my earlier post.

24. mar

mar
    from OH

Had a good laugh in the office to your signature ragtop. Yeah.. I think he would approve of performance upgrades probably not so much the lowering :)

@bryan Thanks. I am doing some research on all the info you gents give me. Now to see about those lowering blocks.. The front springs was that a local place, or something I could order from. Or what should I look for? A place that specializes in classic cars? Or would the place that Grumpy1 posted about work?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  25. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Try Eaton Springs for your fronts. http://www.eatonsprings.com/

Just plug in the make, model, year, and motor for your car with the desired drop, and they'll have exact custom springs to your door in a short spell.

26. mar

mar
    from OH

They do not have the 50's era Pontiac's on the site there, I will give them a call/email to see what they need from me for an order.

Thanks!

27. mar

mar
    from OH

I was discussing the lowering with a guy out here, and he mentioned that with a shorter spring the ride can get really rough, how does your car ride with the 3' drop?

He suggested a air-bag system. Any one have experience with a retro-fit like that.

28. 'Mo

'Mo

A rough ride can result from cutting coils (less spring!). Custom springs are wound for the desired spring rate at reduced height. You should have no worries.

29. I cut the coils on my 56 and got 2" of drop. It gave it a great stance, but unfortunately, it dropped it low enough that it rode on the bump stops...FYI...

30. bryan6902

bryan6902

Rides fine. The springs had made for the front are perfect and the blocks with the correct shock isn't a problem either. I think guys that cut and/or heat their front coils to lower are asking for trouble. When you lower these cars in the back you are moving the lower shock mount farther away... The factory shock is not long enough. So if you force the axle up so the shock fits, the shock will always be at it's maximum length. Seen a lot of these cars with air shocks in the back, like the ones you pump up with your air compressor at home... Skip those too! Just another way to make you car ride like shit!

The place that made my springs is called Kremer Spring in Inver Grove Heights, MN. Not sure if they still make springs but you can look them up and call, sorry I don't have the number handy. If I remember correctly the spring they made looked nearly identical to the factory ones that I took out. They just behave differently when you put weight on them...