Register now to get rid of these ads!

six cylinder hemi`s... and alternative hemi`s and poly`s question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nutwagonfromhell, Apr 16, 2012.

1. nutwagonfromhell

nutwagonfromhell
    from missouri

I been reading about six cylinder hemi`s and Chrysler was developing a D engine in 1966 but abandoned it. All I found was the Australian 245 D engine 4.0L released in 1970. I`m curious if they ever made them here in amarica?
    Seems like since the popularity increased on early hemi`s so much that it`s getting hard to even find a 331 engine, and when I do find them people want a thousand bux for just a stock one.
    I given up on finding a 331 or smaller hemi. Seems like dodge`s old six cylinders can be pretty tough, Like the dodge dart slant six. I seen a few with blowers on them. I`m wondering if there are some cheaper alternatives for hemi`s. Poly engines seem pretty tough.

I just lost my 57 coronet that was stored at a storage lot that the IRS siezed including my 57 dodge. It had a 325 poly engine.

2. daliant

daliant

The Chyrsler six cylinder "hemi" was strictly an Australian thing and wasn't made anywhere else. Actually the Aussi "hemi" six was just a marketing thing, there was nothing even remotely hemispherical about the heads in those engines, the valves were canted (like a big block chevy) and the pistons in them were flat tops.

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Rumor has it that some of the development work on the Hemi V8 was done using L head 6 blocks, only test mules were assembled.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

But Kaiser made a 230 inch SOHC Hemi six and put them in lots of Jeeps. Both for the Army and civilian use. My 3 liter Nissan V6 was a hemi also SOHC and went 231 one way on the salt. I guess Toyota had a push rod Hemi 4 cylinder. Jag DOHC and others. Pratt and Whitney and Wright made big hemis. I worked on the 2800 and 3350 inch blown and turbo compound engines when I was younger.

5. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Alfa Romeo 4cylinders are Hemis too.

6. Austin made a six banger hemi in the 50s, some were imported here. Simca had a very rare v8 hemi that made it here in the 50s, ultra rare so.. It was based off the ford v8 60 with much beefed up main bearings and a semi hemi head design.

and dont laugh at me but toyota had one too,m the tc2 and tc3, or is it 2tc and 3tc? something like that. I had to tear apart an 80? corolla and danged if it wasnt a true hemi. Would look great ina rod, that lil 4 banger hemi. i was talking to a guy who was around 85 then and he saw it, said hed have scrapped his riley 4 port A motor ina half second for it back in the day. I talked to him about "traditional" and he pretty much cussed me out, saying theyd try whatever they got their hands on that had potential.

Heck, toyota even had a tiny hemi v8 in the 70s, based on a shrunk down 331. Around 130 cubic inches. Australia and japan only though..

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Agreed, typical marketing ploy by the manufacturers. We had the US based slant 6 and a number of different capacity local Hemi 6s. Big torquey engine like AMC, Ford & Chevy. Some smaller RT model 'Charger's had 3 x sidedraft 2bl Webers. Still popular today.

8. The Toyota hemi V8 was used in the Century and ran from the mid 1960s until the early 1990s. It started at 2.6 litres (around 160 cid) and finished at 4 litres (around 248 cid). As far as I know it was JDM only but examples have found their way to NZ and Auistralia and maybe elsewhere.

9. I never knew they were a fake hemi. Jeez, they've lost some magic with me now. Always held em in awe...

10. Huh, i was told it was equivalent to 130. Knew a guy who drug a toyota hearse over here from jap land and it had one in it. Hes the one who told me about 'em, maybe he got his facts wrong. Tried to buy it off him for years, old coot lost the title and cut it up for scrap... man i wanted that old motor.

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

One Liter = 61 cubic inches

12. J Twitero

J Twitero
    from Minnesota

As long as we're talking off topic engines, I was surprised when I put a head gasket in my Datsun that the lil 1.6L 4 popper has a SOHC hemi head. :eek: Pistons are dished instead of domed of course since it is an '84. Thinking about getting a "yup its got a HEMI" sticker for it, but never been much of a sticker guy. ;)

13. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Do you have a title for the 57? If so you should be able to get your car back. Contact the IRS directly and deal with them like any other government office. Don't give up your car.

Also, didn't Mitsubishi have a hemi four cylinder in the 80's and 90's? Seem to remember seeing that around.

Good luck getting your car back but don't give up.

14. nutwagonfromhell

nutwagonfromhell
    from missouri

What was the Nissan 3.0 Hemi used on? Maximas?
    And what did the hemi toyata 4 cyl used in? That actually sounds really interesting.

15. nutwagonfromhell

nutwagonfromhell
    from missouri

I applied at the dmv for a salvage title but it never went through. Been waiting 3 years now. All I have is the vin. I am going to try and call them to see if the car still exists. damn thing had less that 60k miles.

16. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

I had one in a 1980 Corolla. Those things are bulletproof. I had a friend who had one run for 300,000 (and still going) miles with nothing more than regular oil changes. They came in Corollas, Coronas and Celicas from the early 70s up through the early 80s.

It's actually a pretty good looking motor too.

There's a company called BRD Racing that has a bunch of speed equipment for them.

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have had 3 liter Nissan V6 engines out os early 300ZX cars as well as Maxamas up to the late 90s. Really a cute little engine. I wish I had taken pictures of mine. I made a baby bug catcher injector hat for it and used Hilborn for the rest if the parts. I also had a turbocharged otherwise stock engine. Single Holley 500cfm two bbl. and solid lifters (or what ever they call them ) that went 195 at El Mirage.

18. Rover in the UK built a Hemi based on the 215 Buick eng that they got from GM.

Lee

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

"I`m wondering if there are some cheaper alternatives for hemi`s. Poly engines seem pretty tough."

If this is the question, can I recommend the latest generation Chrysler Hemi V8? They have been around now for nearly 10 years in a variety of cars, trucks and SUVs. There must be some cheap ones in junkyards by now.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

20. nutwagonfromhell

nutwagonfromhell
    from missouri

I keep hearing from guy`s saying the new chrysler 5.7 isnt a hemi. I think a magnum 5.7 motor would be great if it had a basic distributor and carbs, and no computer stuff.
    I never been able to find anything in the junkyards in St. Louis. The yards are slim pickin. your lucky to even find a good Chevy 305 with TBI.
    From what I been told, My 57 Coronet is at a junkyard in st. charles. Theres noway this guy will even sell it back. we used to use this junkyard at the shop i used to work at. I`m gonna go down there and see whats up.
    This guy crushes anything he cant make a buck off of. Makes my stomache ache thinking about it.

21. Toyota 4 cyl hemi. Found it in pullapart
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

Jaguar six cylinders were hemi, toyota built 2TC and 3TC 4 cylinder engines in the 70's that were a lot like mopar stuff. The new mopar "hemi" is not one. It is a pent roof combustion chamber.
    The fact is a hemispherical combustion chamber sucks in the fuel mileage and pollution department. Poor flame propagation is why. That is kinda why most new cars use something different. If hemis worked better they would still be around.
    Having said that, I really like the look and sound of the old hemi engines from the 50's. Way cool engines.

23. Old Guy

Old Guy

Heres a Toyota 3TC I have in my T roadster. It was originally a 2TC which is 1600cc, but i put a 3TC crank in it and made it an 1800cc. It has an Isky cam,some head work and a Weber 2bl carb. I am building a Hilborn type injection for it with a Megasquirt ECU to contol it and the ignition.
    Maybe not traditional, but with a 5 speed and a 4-11 gear in the quickchange it will get a light car like the t down the road pretty quick.

Attached Files:

24. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

i believe the toyota engine was also in mazda trucks..........

shop i worked at used datsun trucks for the delivery boys to drive...won't last... talked the boss into puting the toyota hemis in ...the kids could not hurt those......

25. 35desoto

35desoto

Chrysler built three experimental engines (v8's from memory) using the aussie Hemi head style of operation - they never made production however the design concept was used in the formation and build of the Aussie Hemi's. There was very little in the Australian camp that did not come from the parent company - every year the Aussie design teams would spend time with their USA counterparts and have their brainstorming sessions. So nothing was new in Australia - just wrapped and packaged differently - not saying they weren't good cars - just that the presentation was scaled up or down or sideways to adapt the USA concepts to the local market.
    So yes its true the Yanks never produced the "hemi" 6 as seen downunder but the design and concept came from Mother Mopar