Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Boys Of Bonneville

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, May 2, 2011.

1. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I watched it last night. It was fantastic. I learned alot of history too. Going to host a party here and show it to my pals when the weather gets cold and dark outside.

2. kyhotrod

kyhotrod
    from Kentucky

Sounds interesting. I'd pay $5 for an online viewing. Don't go to the movies or buy DVDs no mo.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

www.landspeedproductions.biz. Signed limited edition copies available at $250 each, OUCH. Would love one but a little out of my price range at present. A good thing about it is that a percentage of the profits go to preserving the salt.

4. 52hotrod

52hotrod

Just finished watching it, I was smiling ear to ear the whole time :). This was my first year to Speed Week too so it made it extra special.

5. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Here, the local news is only concerned about babies and Basketball. That being said, they have done 2 stories in the last week about Ab Jenkins. That's UNHEARD OF. The mayor of SLC even declared Aug 24th Ab Jenkins day. In my eyes, that means this is officially a big deal. Here's a couple of links:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1070&sid=16923496

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=16966805

6. 52hotrod

52hotrod

7. VintageBuzz

VintageBuzz

I just got back from viewing this excellent documentary at the Junction Megaplex in downtown Ogden, UT. Up until now, I had always considered my dad a pioneer out at Bonneville when he raced his '27 Ford Roadster there in the late '40s and early '50s. But, my dad and all his buddies were just 'young pups' as compared to Ab Jenkins and others of that much earlier era.
    I was also pleased to see my old friend Terry Nish in Ab's movie. Terry has done it all from USAC Sprint Cars, Supermodifieds, and now Bonneville Streamliners. Check out Terry's quest for breaking a long standing record out at Bonneville.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTvaHZtkPiU
    http://www.nishmotorsports.com/index.html

8. daddio211

daddio211

Thought I'd pass this along to the rest of you:

Kansas International Film Festival---------September 30 – October 6
    Carmel Film & Art Festival----------------October 12 – 19
    Heartland Film Festival-------------------October 13 – 27
    Hot Springs Documentary Film Festival----October 14 – 23

If it's near you, go see it! You can check for screenings at www.boysofbonneville.com

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  9. rockstar96

rockstar96

Got my dvd from the website a couple of months ago after seeing a link on Landracing.Com,watched it so much that if it were a vinyl 45 it would be worn out,awesome film.

David

10. Just thought I'd bump this since the movie finally appeared on OnDemand. The wife and I watched it tonight, and it is an AMAZING story. Find it and watch it if you haven't already.

11. Just watched it....4 times in the past 2 days....amazing documentary, you will have leaky eyes.

Ab Jenkins was almost superhuman, 24 hour records set single handedly without getting out of the car....

If you don't own this yet, buy it, you will NOT be disappointed.

12. Lord Purple

Lord Purple

I am now importing this movie and it is available in PAL format on my website (address below) £19.95 inc P&P for UK and EC residents.

Thanks

L.P.

13. NE Speed&Custom

NE Speed&Custom

We are gonna order up a copy for the shop asap.

14. Beau

Beau

This is on Netflix now and is pretty awesome. Wow.

15. luvit

luvit
    from Ohio

i just discovered it on netflix tonight and i;m halfway through it.
    my wife and daughter chose to sit-in, too

16. plymouth52

plymouth52

I love the part where Ab's son picks the car up. (not going to spoil it)
    One of my favorite

17. plymouth52

plymouth52

Did you know:

In 1956 GM’s Pontiac executives hired Ab Jenkins and his son Marvin to drive its stock-model Series 860 Pontiac around the famous 10-mile salt circle track. The pair recorded an average speed of 118.375 mph shattering all existing American unlimited and class C stock-car racing records in the process

He Died that same Year.

The next year, General Motors introduced the 1957 Pontiac “Bonneville” in honor of Ab and Marv’s achievements making it the first, and perhaps the only car to ever “earn” its name and not simply be “given” its name by an automaker.

Of the 630 limited production run, each dealer got only one, making it the rarest of all Pontiacs ever produced.

The new Bonneville was the fastest of the division – zero to sixty in 8.1 seconds thanks to the new fuel injected V8 that cranked out 300HP plus. All convertibles, all automatics, the car delivered loaded with options for $5,782 – approaching double that of the Star Chief Custom Convertible ($3,105) with which it shared the 124-inch-wheelbase chassis

18. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I think this thread deserves to be revived for all of us that aren't on the Salt right now. At least we can watch the movie of how it all started even if we can travel to Utah this August. There are some other threads on this movie as well, but this one seemd to be the most "official".

19. daddio211

daddio211

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. Just a bump of an old thread ... 'cuz the entire film was posted on YouTube:

chryslerfan55 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  21. Just don't click the linky in @Ryan original blog... it dosent lead to a boys of Bonneville web site anymore...lol
    Screenshot_20200816-150456_Chrome.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A video well worth owning !

HEMI32 likes this.
  23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

24. Nacifan

Nacifan

I was lucky enough to see this amazing car in person at Bonneville Speed Week, 2011. BonnevilleSun2011 pm 087.JPG BonnevilleSun2011 pm 084.JPG BonnevilleSun2011 pm 082.JPG
    The Meteor was there for the debut of this movie that was playing for a couple of nights at a concert hall in Wendover.
    NaCifan

Jet96 and mgtstumpy like this.
  25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Mormon Meteor III - Jay Leno's Garage

Jet96 likes this.