Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Mom Rod or my 1950 Desoto 4dr

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phinney, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Phinney

Phinney

Sometimes, ok most of the time, I wish I had a nice roadster. Anything topless with a mild cam would work for me. However, being a mom of 3 doesn't allow for a roadster unless I get real creative on mounting car seats. A few months ago, a fella I had recently met, was showing me his car collection and failed to mention that rusty, flat-tired hulk that was missing its front grill, hood and trunk. When I asked him about it, he replied it was a 1950 Desoto parts car and would I want it. When I asked how much, he replied it was free. A few days later he brought it to my house and so it begins...my "Mom Rod" and at least one little girl that can't wait to help paint it.

The rear taillights had been partially dissected with a reciprocating saw:
    cars 024comp.jpg

Fixing begins:
    0218121426comp.jpg

The front fender around the headlights:
    0216121916comp.jpg

More rust:
    0216121914acomp.jpg

Fixed:
    0223122011acomp.jpg

We hope to build this together and since the girls don't know that a 4 door isn't cool, that are pretty excited about working on it. Did I mention that they are all less than 5 years old? As for me, I am still learning that cool is in the eye of the beholder-just ask my little girls :)

Attached Files:

2. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Very cool! Hope you have time to continue posting your progress. Normal Norman

3. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Good luck with the build. Old cars are a great thing to teach your children about so they can learn all those good life skills like working toward a goal, hard work pays off, learning, etc. Plus its a history lesson as well! Keep up the great work and post up progress pics. Don't see too many DeSotos around anymore!

4. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

You go girl, I've driven desoto's there cool.

5. Who said 4-doors can't be cool? I once saw a girl driving a 4-door '60 Bel Air and I thought that was as cool as it gets! Keep us updated!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

if you have a good time with it , then its cool , looks like a lot of cool from here ,

7. Phinney

Phinney

Thanks guys, I believe we'll have tons of fun with this one and plenty of opportunities for them to learn new skills. I hope they find it fun after they realize that real cars are built, not bought ;) The girls think it's great that they have their "own" doors! I worked on it some more this past week and am making some progress on the back end. I still have many more holes to patch and my little ones keep asking me if I am done yet so they can go for a ride!

One fender better than it was:
    0225121352comp.jpg

1" square tubing used to make the rear stronger and provide an attachment point for the trunk lip:
    0226121109comp.jpg

The rear nearly done after the old rusty lip was removed and the new welded on:
    0304121639comp.jpg
    368856_661838599_727596400_q[1]comp.jpg

Sorry if most of this is elementary to many of you, this is still a learning experience for me :eek:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  8. dmikulec

dmikulec

Very cool! Nice work. Subscribing to this one to watch the progress! :cool:

9. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

Subscribed! Can't wait to see progress!

10. Are you doing this work by yourself? If so, you dont look to have a helluva lot left to learn! :D

11. Go girl like to see women getting into cars. your work looks good. So what is the plan for the car. Remember if you have questions or need some thing this is the place to ask.

12. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

For some one just starting out at this stuff, you're doing a helluva job!

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

doing great!! did the guy that gave it to you offer to help work on it? sure that when you get to the interior some really good seat belts will be there. plus, top notch brakes, etc.

14. Phinney

Phinney

Aw shucks, thank you. I learned a ton by doing all the stuff on my '59 Firedome. Yes, I am doing it all myself, that way I can't bitch if something doesn't look good ;)

Thanks! I really want to do a good job. Our plan is keep it a 4 door, maybe do a chop in the future if I can find someone to help with it. It would be cool to have a dual carb setup with a non-stock muffler for a better sound. Different plug wires, anything a kid would have done in the '50's to make it "cool" and add some performance. I'd like to have a different interior other than stock but am not sure what I could do. I don't have the funds to farm anything out. And yes, the HAMB is THE best place to gain knowledge!!!

Lol, he didn't offer help but is available if I need him for advice! I agree about the seat belts, and I'm thinking 3 pt belts for the back for sure since the kids will be back there. The brakes will have to be redone, but the master cylinder may have to stay single pot since I think it also serves as a pivot point for the clutch?

And for some more progress :D!!

Roof and panels stripped down with 3M stripping disc on drill:

0412122039comp.jpg

And after rust converter which will be sanded smooth before primer:

Attached Files:

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Yes the master cylinder is also the pedal pivot BUT you can make up a bracket behind the original cylinder and mount a dual reservoir cylinder extending the pushrod through the bore of the original master cylinder. The original cylinder becomes a pedal bracket and you could even add a booster for power brakes.

16. FC49

FC49

I hope it's not a Fluid Drive!

Frank C.

17. Phinney

Phinney

I think I've seen that thread about mounting a dual pot master now that you mention it! Since the floors need patching, I could have decent access to do that.

And yes, Frank. It IS a Fluid Drive!

18. What did you use for a rust converter? Your project looks great!

19. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Looking good! Keep the posts coming.

20. Phinney

Phinney

Piston Farmer-Thanks! I used Eastwoods Rust Converter. The rust that had covered the top and sides was that rough, fuzzy kind. It left some pitting but those are pretty small and shallow.

21. Good call on the seat belts Phinney, you cant keep your kids too safe. I used these guys for the belts in my off topic car.http://www.gotbelts.com/
    They have ratcheting and non-ratcheting 3 pt. belts. I went with ratcheting. Great service and fast shipping. Very happy with the quality too.

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow I missed this thread Phinney ! Didnt know you were starting on a new build, you go girl! This one should be a piece of cake after the 59 eh! Free projects are cool, I have to pick up one soon that has been offered to me 46 Ford p/u !

23. duke7427

duke7427
    from Colorado

Cool project. Looking forward to seeing the end result. Good Luck, love the Mopars.

24. Phinney

Phinney

Steve, yeah the '59 was a great learning experience. Plus, your build has taught me tons as well-thanks again for posting all the pics with descriptions. A '46 p/u! Sweet!! And yep, free projects are the best :)

Thanks, I love 'em as well. I'll keep truckin' on it when I'm not mowing the lawn-stay tuned!

25. koolkemp

koolkemp

Cab and frame are from out west,r/b flatty...rest of the metal is rusty local stuff, like everything else I own lol!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should keep me busy for awhile ! I am glad you were able to get some info from all the pics, thats what makes the build thread, for me worthwhile!:)

26. Phinney

Phinney

Allright, just in case you all thought I was sitting around doing nothing-here are the pics to prove I have been busy! Friggin' welder was not feeding the wire consistently so the welds look like bird poop. Once the new spool of wire was put on, things started looking better.

Driver's side rust around wheelwell has been fixed as well as inner and outer rockers replaced.

0919121944comp.jpg

Rear fender bolted back on, it looks better with every step.

0929121034comp.jpg

Passenger side is now getting replacement rockers along with repairs of the floor braces.

0929121033comp.jpg

More to come...

27. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Looking good! I have nothing but love for fordors!

28. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Wow! Your rolling right along. I have no problems with mordors. I can't wait to see the finished product.

29. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Too cool! I really dig those cars as my "entry drug" from the musclecar world was building a four door 1950 Dodge Coronet with a buddy. We replaced the slow-ass flathead six and Gyromatic with a slant six with split headers and tiny pipes for a nice cow-scaring exhaust rap, a three speed manual tranny, and an 8 1/4 rearend out of a Dodge Ass-Pan. We had some seriously lowering blocks in the rear for an uber-squirrel head removing stance. Fun ensued in only the way you can have in a beater sled! :D

Good luck with yours! :) :) :)

Attached Files:

30. koolkemp

koolkemp

Looking great Phinney ! It likes like a fairly solid car other than the stuff you fixed?