Register now to get rid of these ads!

3rd Brake Lamp For My Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burnettd01, Mar 19, 2012.

1. burnettd01

burnettd01

Haven't posted much but, I check out the site almost daily.

I learn so much from you guys, that I just have to ask:

What's my best choice for a 3rd Brake Lamp for my 1951 Ford F-1?

I want to weld it into the back of the cab above the rear window.

I have been looking at aftermarket LED but can't find anything that is waterproof.

Thinking about cutting a OEM unit out of a late model car trunk.

Any ideas out there?

You guys are the best

Thanks

Dan

2. TonyVan

TonyVan
    from Vancouver

Why not mount it inside the cab at the top of the window?
    That'll save cutting and welding and bodywork and painting. Plus it'll disappear when it's not on.

3. burnettd01

burnettd01

I thought about that - makes too much sense !!

Probably the way I will go - just wanted to explore all options.

Thanks

Dan

4. XXL__

XXL__

5. burnettd01

burnettd01

Both look good.

Thanks for the help

Dan

6. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Are third brake lights required to be at a certain height? What about the small ones that fit in the bed tubes?

7. XXL__

XXL__

Yes, but they're not required to be retrofit onto anything before they were mandated in 1986 (US). "Technical" term for them is Center High Mounted Stop Light, or CHMSL. DOT regs define height, size, color, luminosity, flavor, religion, and everything else you could possibly imagine for them. States then piggyback off of the fedregs to create state regs as well. Lots of legal redundancy redundancy.

8. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i see a lot of trucks with add on l.e.d strips between the tailgate & bumper about 3-4ft wide,can't see till the blinkers or brake are hit,

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

So what happens with 1940's Chrysler products with centered stop light, and of course 57-60 F-100 panel trucks? They are mounted downward compared to being mounted above package shelf, or rear window.:eek:

10. XXL__

XXL__

I don't understand the question.

11. back2thewoods

back2thewoods
    from ct.

check out monsturns on line, perfect solutions

12. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

I used a LED intended to be on a trailer. has brake and turn signals. small enough to fit inside at bottom of rear window of '32 chev coupe without blockage!

13. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Also try Signal Stat, and Grote ; Along with Truk Lite, they make a variety of lighting products.

4TTRUK

14. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

im going to do a 3rd on my 56 F100, I was going to put one inside the cab then saw a 3rd brake light license plate and decided I will be doing one of those The best price is on ebay, the 3rd does not need to be in the center of the car/truck to be effective, mine will be behind the drivers rear fender as it came from the factory

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You can use almost any old car glass taillamp lens and french it into the back of the cab under or over the back window. A simple can with a universal socket in it finishes the deal.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The BIG truck goodies shops seem to have all kinds of led lights that would work.

Here is a small inexpensive one that ships from China off Ebay 130661260194 that can be stuck to the back glass and shouldn't look too out of place when it isn't on.
    I just ordered one that will go in the 48 if I really like it or in the ot truck if it doesn't look that great.

My tail lights on the 48 are below the tailgate and if the guy following me is closer than about 10-12 ft from my bumper he probably can't see the taillights when I hit the brakes.

17. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Daily driver only vehicle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

A couple of close calls in my '37 with similarly placed lighting has me thinking about adding a 3rd brake light to the truck. A low profile strip of leds mounted across the front of the box would probably be the least noticable yet highly visable. If I can find a decent looking 3rd brake/bed light from a small pickup, mounting it above the drip moulding would be an option. The dome light cut-out inside the cab would make wire routing pretty easy.

[​IMG]