Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. New guy just wanting to share some old pics. hope these meet the criteria.

Attached Files:

2. Oh yeah...those meet the criteria-Welcome Aboard !!

3. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Ditto that. They meet the "cageless" criteria by a long way. Great images. Thanks and welcome aboard.

Blacki-Suede

4. easter

easter

Great photos. The cars may not have been as fast, but the wrecks look just as bad. I see one guy is being treated in the infield care center on his bed made of grass. Wild. Thanks for sharing.

5. tez

tez
    from seekonk

its so nice to see all of these old cars. I've been around racing all of my life. My father used to race. His name is Dave Humphrey.

6. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

"Used to race' is an understatement.
    One of the top 5 all time racedrivers to come out of So New England.
    Multiple Championships and Hall of Fames.:cool:
    http://www.near1.com/HALL-OF-FAME/2000/Humphrey_Dave.htm

Thanks for stopping by.

If you ever want to share some stories and photos here about your Dad it would be most welcome.

7. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Welcome aboard tez. I know your Dad, one great race driver and a good guy too. You need to get him on this site. Denny Z.

8. TommyA19

TommyA19

Reading where that link led us to, about Dave Humphries, one would think that when info is posted, it gets proof read, prior to publication - Lew Duncan??

9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

WANTED...

Anybody out there have a LOWER SHAFT for an Early V-8 Halibrand Quick-Change?

HAS TO BE---- 6 spline, both ends.. and as close to 19 3/4" as I can find.

Here is the one I'm trying to replace.

Thanks!

J Shaw

p.s. Glad to see a couple New comers! Welcome, and enjoy... ;)

Attached Files:

10. Anybody familiar with the Cragar Special of the late 30's -early 50's on the IMCA trail?

11. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

12. easter

easter

Going to watch the Xtreme Sprint Car Series tonight in Mobile, AL - high banked 1/2 mile asphalt. It's my first sprint car race in about 8 years. One young man going with us has never seen a sprint car in person. Pit passes for everyone - oh yeah. I know they have cages, wings, and it's on asphalt, but along the northern Gulf Coast, you have to take what you can get. I'm getting sexually aroused just thinking about hot laps. Is that wrong?

13. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

the first race of the season, just heat in the motors gives me a chub, i guess that's normal ! hope you guy's have fun ! heading to the races myself tonight for 410,358 sprints & late models ,put's a smile on my face!

14. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Our first Midwest USAC race of the season was cancelled tonight due to rain. Bummer!

15. baldtireman

baldtireman

Go talk to Hank Lower... He probably raced with your Dad...John S.
    :D

16. easter

easter

I didn't get this note until after returning last night. Are you talking about "Hurrying Hank?" However, I did talk with several guys who raced or knew my dad. I'm bad with names, but talked with a guy for awhile who owned the car Eric Gordon drove to all of those Little 500 victories. Same guy also had Ron Shuman, Butch Wilkerson, and others drive his cars. Those cars were incredibly fast. New track record last night in Mobile 14.9 sec with speed around 149 mph average. Teams from Washington, California, Florida, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Mississippi, Wisconsin. They were the nicest bunch of guys I've met in a long time. Drivers from 19 to 73. Brian Olson (Washington) won with Jason Cox (Illinois) second. No incidents, but plenty of incredible action. Every team was very approachable and all interested in the old cars. And, they all said the same thing: "Those guys were nuts! Driving Winchester with no cage?" and - "The Little 500 is the greatest race ever" and (my favorite) - "I think our cars look a lot cooler without the wings." They now go to Anderson, Winchester, and back to Anderson. I did hear a team say that USAC will run a couple races at Anderson, but those are the only sprint car races on pavement this year. I had a number of drivers ask me to send them the link to this thread (because I had been talking about it). If you get a chance to go and see these guys, please go and talk with them all. They are representing sprint car racing very well (maybe not in appearance, but in attitude). I screamed like a little girl all night. Damn that was fun.

17. The car owner that you talked to may have been Jack French.

18. easter

easter

That sounds right. He said his car that Gordon drove and won with, was sold and won for the next owner/owners, too. Really nice guy.

19. exprezdan

exprezdan

When and where were these taken? This car was just sold on e-bay. It was built by my late friend Punky Grosso around 1982.

20. chrissmith19

chrissmith19
    from cincy

this race was the final race for maude smith's #9. cincinnati, oh. greg leffler was the driver.

21. KK500

KK500

Totally.............prolly a stomach cramp!!!:D:D:D

Jim;)

22. Dick L

Dick L

A little sick maybe, but not wrong!

23. easter

easter

Thank you sir. I believe that's what it said under my high school yearbook picture. What a fantastic event that was at Mobile. People have always asked me what sprint car racing was like. How do you explain the feeling you get? To me, it's always been 3-dimensional rock and roll. Ted Nugent brings a smile to my face, but sprint cars make me scream like a little girl. I'm an old fat former Marine who looked like Michael Jackson moon walking in the infield last Saturday night. Stab and steer.

24. wilburshawfan

wilburshawfan
    from Indiana

Opened my mailbox today and KING Steve Kinser was lookin' at me on the color cover of the new monthly Speed Sport News. They didn't forget about us vintage sprint car fans with an atricle on Texan racing great Cecil Green and an add about a new book due out in May about Troy Ruttman . Thanks Bob Gates for the article and the book about Troy as well. Welcome back old friend, Speed Sport!

25. KK500

KK500

Progress update on CAE sprinter model.
    Wheels are more difficult to cast than they led me to believe.......but have some for prototyping.
    Rusty color material is silica bronze for the all bronze model that is under construction.

Attached Files:

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

^^^^^AMAZING!!!!!^^^^^^^

Love it! Been enjoying every update.

J Shaw

27. easter

easter

When things don't go right and you get mad, do you throw real little wrenches?

28. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Hmmm. And I'll bet my mailman is reading mine right now.

29. Dick L

Dick L

That cracked me up!:)

30. KK500

KK500

Real size Channel-Locks !!!!!!!