Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Someone Stole My Fuse Box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Falconewbie, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

We actually have an inexperienced lady here, and no offense taken! Everyone here is so helpful, I feel like I've stumbled upon a goldmine here - you're all wonderful!!

2. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

Thanks for this Ron. I've actually been looking at the fuse box all day trying to figure out how to get it out of there. I'll try your method, seems like a lot better method than what I've been attempting. :)

3. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

Thank you everyone for your replies! I've had to work my day job all weekend, but today is Falcon Day! I'll let you all know how it goes, and hopefully it goes well.

4. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

40 year old wiring harness. nuff said.
    P.S. A wiring harness is NOT rocket science. If you can read, you can replace one.

5. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

Alright guys, I've been trying all morning to get that darn fuse box out of these, but I can't seem to find the button on the light switch housing to release the headlight knob and rod. Any suggestions on where I should be finding the "button"? I'm feeling like a fool, pushing on every surface I can reach.

6. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

[​IMG]
    If anyone can point out to me where on this illustration I should expect to find the button that will release the headlight switch, I will be forever grateful.

7. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

Alright, found the knob release switch (finally). I'm pushing it completely in, however the headlight knob is not releasing. Once I get to the point that I should release, I feel opposite pressure on the release switch, and no matter how hard I press, no luck.

Any advice on an alternative method to inspect and/or replace the fuses?

8. Chopp47

Chopp47

Pull the knob all the way out before you depress the button.
    Dennis

9. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

Dennis my friend, I owe you a beer next time you're around Dallas - that worked!

10. nukeman

nukeman
    from Michigan

If this Falcon has a bad turn signal switch, a rewire wont fix it.

Troubleshooting electrical problems is NOT rocket science either. Find the problem first, THEN decide on the best method to fix it.

I've been an electrician for 30 years. If your house was blowing fuses, light bulbs, and frying all your electronics, would you have me rewire your whole house before I check for a loose neutral at the panel? Would you feel any safer? If the loose neutral was a problem with the power company, you'd still be screwed even with all new wiring. nuff said?

11. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

You all are going to love me, because I will have the dumbest questions you've ever read on here: What's the easiest way to remove the glass fuses without breaking them? Is there a special tool, or should I just carefully use some needlenose pliers?

12. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

Hey David! I'm not so far from the lake myself. Perhaps once I get this baby inspection-worthy, we can roll over to the lake an have a little two-car show. :)

13. Spring a few bucks for a fuse puller. Or use the smallest flat blade screw driver ya got, pry between the spring that holds the fuse in and the brass lug on the fuse.

Bob

14. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

Great news! Got the fuses changed out, the turn signals are working, etc. however now my windshield wipers won't turn off. I turn the knob all the way to the left, they just go very slow. All the way to the right, they go fast.

Help?

15. Great news Newbie - (don't know your real name) - Hmm, sounds just like what I said I thought it might be, a problem at the fuse box/headlight switch (that's aimed at all the "you need to re wire the car" problem solvers, not you)
    As for the wipers, that sounds like a bad switch. The far left rotation should be off. It sounds like a terminal inside is worn and causing it to bleed a little voltage through. I can't remember if that switch comes apart easily or not. If it does a bit of cleaning and some dielectric grease may put it right. If not, you'll probably have to find a new one.
    Good luck

16. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

watch some how to videos on youtube about soldering. Doing wires is not that hard... the thing to remember is, get the wire hot and touch the solder to that... and try not to burn yerself.

-W

17. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

Took her for a spin around the block, and the windshield wipers are seemingly off for now, but I'm not turning them back on, just in case...

18. shadams

shadams

So, I learned a few things in this thread. First, FNG can also stand for f****** new girl!!! Second, dont tear the whole damn car apart without checking the easy stuff first (I am super guilty of that myself) , reinforcement of the fact that there is a ton of info available here, and lasty, if you dick with something long enoughand ask enough questions, you will eventually figure it out. Good going!!

I usually jack with it long enough to break it, then figure it out and then tell everyone about it so they dont do what I did.

19. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

I'll be subscribing to all of your posts to avoid doing the same. Thanks!

20. You probably have vacuum wipers. The switch is just a valve to cut off the air to the "motor".

21. Oh, yeah, that wiper control. Threw me for a loop for a second, too. The control is a cable that can operate either the vacuum or the electric wipers. Trick is you need to adjust the cable so that 'OFF' is 'OFF'. The electric, if you have them, are two speed, the vacuum will be nearly infinitely variable. There is no detent on either.

The switch for the electric is on the motor, sneak a peak under the dash center, below, behind and the the left of the radio area.

Cosmo

Sent you a PM...

22. 62rebel

62rebel

even with all the Falcons i've had, it amazes me how tightly Ford packed what little wiring they have into them. i have NEVER had an instrument cluster come out without a fight.... and often have headlight switches put up a good fight themselves. just because they're a simple, basic car doesn't always mean they're easy to work on.... good thing i love the damn cars.

silver lining time? for all their quirks, almost any part you might need is still available, probably right off the AutoZone shelf, simply because the Mustang shares so much with it..... and CHEAP, too!

oh, yeah: don't forget that they also use those damn instrument voltage regulators that will fail and leave you scratching your head. buy a spare, just like a set of points and a condenser!

23. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

Since I'm sure you've all been following this thread, holding your breath at my every step, a few things that I've figured out:

- The ignition switch only works if I'm all the way in park. I mean, ALL the way. The car wouldn't start again, even after fiddling with wires, so as I last ditch effort I attempted to complete the shift to park, and viola! It worked. Lesson learned.

- The fuse box is hard as sh*t to get to. Thank you 1961 Ford engineers.

- This car is a people magnet, and I've already had three offers to buy it, mostly at gas stations from the same people that just asked me for change. Whatevs.

- You all rock! I never expected to get so much advice and support from complete strangers. I hope that very soon we will be strangers no more!

Thanks again, everyone has been amazing! Next thread title - The Shocking Difficulty of Shocks

24. Falconewbie

Falconewbie
    from Dallas, TX

Also, I'm starting a blog. For anyone that's interested in what kinds of trouble I'm going to get myself in, you're welcome to read. Everyone else, avoid it like the plague.

25. Fords of that era are known for having to pull up on the shift lever while you turn the key. It may even be an adjustment on your neutral safety switch, damned if I know where that is, my Falcon was a stick.

The shocks aren't that bad although the fronts are an adventure if you've never done them before. Anyone here can talk you through it.

Bob

26. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Now that it's running, I'd still budget in a re-wire soon. What other problems are going to sneak up on you?
    The nice thing about new wiring is better materials than new (wire quality), better routing (move that fusebox) and better fuses. Also the satisfaction of doing the job yourself and the pride in your work.

You can do this!!

27. 62rebel

62rebel

you might also have the foot pedal washer pump/wiper switch setup; look on the firewall directly behind the driver's side air box. there's a cable that will run to the wiper motor that operates the wipers whenever you mash the washer pedal. if the pedal has rusted in place, the cable will always be holding the wiper motor in operation. USUALLY Falcons that had this option also had electric wipers, but not ALWAYS. the foot pedal washer pump actually worked pretty well; the rubber bladder is not exposed to the sunlight and such that would rot it, but the hose from it to the bag and to the spray nozzles is probably rotten. i also think it was only an option on automatic trans cars....

28. Too bad you don't live in Tampa. There are always 3 or 4 at the u-pull-its. You could get a lot of practice on them before you tear yours apart.

29. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

haven't read all the previuos posts but....

fuse "panel" is located in the headlight switch. just a handful of fuses control the whole car. reach benind the headlight switch and there's a button you can push. pusht eh button and pull the knob out then remove the screw out the retainer ferule to drop the switch/fuse panel. check your fuses and consider just replacing the switch before you rewire the whole thing. I'm partial to melvin's classic ford.