Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which master cyl. for 59 edsel/ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greg, Apr 16, 2012.

1. greg

greg

I know its been covered, but,:eek:

I want a dual port.
    what master cylinder do I need to buy to replace the single bowl.
    I am keeping the drum/drum , non power setup. or that is my plan for now.

The ports should be facing the passenger side when mounted on the fire wall.

I thought someone who has already done this could save me a lot of grief.

Thanks. Greg

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

'68 mustang drum/drum non-power unit should do the trick but the ports would be on the driver's side...

3. greg

greg

Thanks, That was what I was thinking, but wanted to double check.
    I will compare the bore sizes after I get my old one out.
    The drivers side ports wont be a problem. That car has lots of room just about everywhere.

4. I went to Carquest and used a dual non-power master for a 70 Ford Custome on my '54 Customline. Works like a champ. Use you old pedal rod.

Jim

5. all the masters from 68-78 will bolt up just make sure you get one for your brake set-up drum/drum disc/drum they are 4 bolt masters you just bolt it up with 2 of them

6. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

If you are keen on a 1" bore and P side ports the '73 Ranchero/LTD MC may be what you are looking for.
    Firewall mount dual reservoirs operate the same, the difference with disc vs drum is the disc units tend to have a larger reservoir for disc circuit. And the plumbing is slightly different, with a drum/drum MC the primary port is closer to the radiator support. With a disc/drum system the primary port is closer to the firewall.

http://static.ddmcdn.com/flash/master-brake.swf

7. I used the 67/68 Mustang, but it was so easy to do disk then, I did.

8. greg

greg

OK, thanks for all the info. I checked napa and all the drum/drum manual master cylinders on most all the ford cars are all the same part no. from 67-70. and all have 1'' bore just like the stock 59.

I have a new mc on the work bench for a disc drum setup that I can use when I convert over. But at this point I want to try all drum so I can use the 14in. wheels and stock hubcaps.
    I do need to know which port is for the front and the rear brakes when using the 67-70 ford master.

9. Go with one from a car of similar weight, like a 67-70 Galaxy would be perfect. Drums stop well on those cars if you replace virtually everything in them.

I'm not sure which port is the front, probably the back one since you want the rod to actuate that first.

Bob

10. 62rebel

62rebel

back port, front brakes. front port, back brakes. the SIZE may vary from disc to drum but NOT the orientation.