Register now to get rid of these ads!

Way kustom steering wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog Dish Deluxe, Jan 5, 2012.

1. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

The dart wheel man! How damn cool. Cut it up like the one on the Capitola 57, it kinda begs for it seen the butterfly grip it already has. Plus, the top n bottom parts are junked.

Opinions are just that, and everybody is entitled to one, but im finding hard to understand all this restoration enthusiasts that are poppin up in every thread like mad lately.

Dude that center is crazy, looks like a scaled down oem steel wheel :)

2. Hey dog dish the one i got from you is way cool but to big for my t bucket! SOB SNIFFLE! So it makes cool wall art til i find somethin to put it on! Maybe my mini hot rod tractor!

3. fleetside66

fleetside66

I'm diggin' the creativity & retro flavor of these altered wheels (and, yes, I'm old). I'm not sure, however, how practical some of the half wheels are for some cars. I've had this 14-1/2" wheel of unknown origin for some time & it broke my heart not to use it. I need the full 360 degrees, because my hot rod is a handful. Maybe it'd work for a F.E.D. or futuristic bubble top car.

[​IMG]

4. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Thats pretty cool, looks like some sort of old tractor wheel. And Camel toe, you have a good idea there. Good to hear somebody else has hot rodded their tractor! My lawn mower didn't even escape, and I found a use for the rusty pair of lake pipes hanging in the shed.

Attached Files:

5. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Heres a horn button that I just came up with using a combination of Lincoln and Chevy parts. Now I'm itchin' to find a wheel to use it on.

Attached Files:

6. Beau

Beau

Wheels are round.

7. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

Sorry for being late to the party. Did this wheel sell?
    If not what are you asking for it?

thanks,

8. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Not after you hit a curb!

9. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

If you wanna get rid of that second one let me know!

10. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

That's very insightful....thanks for the input

11. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

12. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Hey chopmerc, whats the wheel in your car from? I was looking at the pics in K.I. and couldn't place it. When I got the mag I half expected to see the '56-57 Lincoln wheel in there. The one in there is truly kustom though because it's not easily identified.

13. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

Hey, the wheel is from a 65 Mercury...that's mostly the reason I'm replacing it, it doesn't really fit the period of the build of my car...I really do like the simplistic yet space age styling of it, especially with the clear backside of the rim..the center bullet is aftermarket...

I'm still working (slowly, lol) on the Lincoln wheel..It needs more work than I originally realized...I'll get it in there at some point though..

14. I drove an Impala that I got in the neighborhood with a chain wheel for a while. I kept getting my fingers stuck in the links, I'm just too figity for them I guess. :D

I got a '62 Windsor wheel in the garage that is flat on the bottom, I am thinking about making the top match the bottom eventually for the wife's sedan. I personally am more of a round wheel type of a guy. I drive 'em too hard for the fancy stuff. I do like to look at the fancy stuff though.

15. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Yeah, Does't really fit the late 50's vibe. But still kool. At the same time though, your car could also fit the 60's era with a simple wheel and tire change like chrome reverses and skinny whites or reverse cragars. Not that I'm saying you should but your car is dynamic enough that it could easily pull off both looks. 'Course it might need lace panels and flake too for the the 60's look. But it's awesome the way it is and I wouldn't change a thing.

I'm working on a '56 Lincoln wheel slowly for my car. (Chevy) I've cut out the Lincoln center hub so far and welded in a Jeep hub which has that same spline and bolt pattern as the Chevy but has the same outside diameter as the Lincoln. I'm putting an Impala outer rim on it to reduce the size and take advantage of the chrome two tone separation rings. Should be pretty kemp if I ever finish it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  16. gatz

gatz

57 Merc Turnpike Cruiser had this as stock...

Attached Files:

17. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I've had this one sitting around for a month or two. Made it for a guy but haven't heard anything back from him. I can always make him another one if someone is interested in this one. I've been wanting to actually break down and build one for me to keep, so this might be it, who knows.

Attached Files:

18. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

On another changa wheel i had it happened to me as well, like the first day i used it. It was so damn painful i always took care while steering ever since :D....i guess it would have been a diffrent story w/ power steering...took it off thou, i risk my splips w/ that shit over here.

I was just wondering. If i manage to find a wheel for my car and send it to you, how much dinero would you want to make it like this on your post?

19. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Dumb question, anyone played with metalflake resin like they used in the 60's metalflake wheels?? Anyone know where to get it??

20. Check this one from a barn find! Note the shifter!

Attached Files:

21. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

LOL! and the pedal, and the keychain....
    If the steering wheel chain is welded with the same care with which they put that dogchain on the shifter i think its a miracle it didnt fell off while sittin in the barn :)

22. heritic88

heritic88

Hey they wheels look great I can't wait to get mine

23. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Found a wheel for that horn button to go on.

Attached Files:

24. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

The yeti wheel

Attached Files:

25. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

So I ended up finding a '58 Plymouth Savoy wheel to run on my '53 Desoto. I did a quick recon, and painted it to match my car. However its seriously lacking a little touch of class, and to me looks like it belongs in star trek. I'm lovin' the chrome rings on the outside of the grips on that wheel. Any ideas on how to make that work on my wheel? you know, hardware store parts... It would really help break up the colors.

Sorry for the lack of pics.

26. desotot

desotot

we really need pics man.

27. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

There are a couple different variations on these rings, the later style (I think '64 and up) are just a basic ring that don't require the huge notch like the earlier ones. If you got some rings for a GM wheel (they are even being re popped) it would be pretty easy to grind out some grooves with a cutoff wheel or grinder and crimp them on to your existing wheel. I tried to find some pics, but it would be easy to get a set from an Impala parts place or somewhere like that. I think they ran about $20 for a set last time I looked.

28. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I hear ya. This is the best one I've got. Since this pic I've "restored" the wheel. It now has a blue center, with a white ring. I want the chrome rings to go....well you know what I'm getting at....
    [​IMG]

29. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Those plym. wheels have enough of a notch that you could probably just crimp on some GM rings. I've had a few of those wheels, they are kool.

30. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Surprised nobody had been interested in this one. I might have to end up just keeping it I guess