Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats it worth? shoebox help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uglysteve, Apr 14, 2012.

1. I found this on craigslist and the guy won't give me an idea as to what he wants for it.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/2944580770.html

Looks decent (except that top:eek:) . Got a nice interior, Apparently it runs and drives well. Ill probably go check it out this coming week.

I have no idea what these old shoebox fords go for, i tried to research a little but the prices are all over the place. I need help! Has anyone seen this car/know anything about it? And any idea on what would be a reasonable price for it? I know it's probably tough based on just seeing a couple shitty pictures but...anything helps.

Thanks guys!

2. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Says right in the add he is asking $6500... :confused::confused:

I would be real concerned about the rest of it, looks ok in the pics, but I bet its got tons of issues with the fab and body work.

3. Jen......

Jen......

yes 6500 thats to much for it . what a waste on the top

Jen

4. what? where'd you see that? I just read it a few times (because i'd feel like an idiot if i missed it) i dont see that anywhere.

5. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

$700.00 with free shipping. MY $.02.
    B.B.

6. cakes

cakes

That is at most a 3500 dollar car around these parts, the top looks like hell and I am pretty sure those bumpers are plymouth and not merc.

I dont really think this guy knows what hes talking about

7. yeah i dont think so either. I just got some texts from him saying that there's "some" bondo but "the car is 63 years old you cant tell where it is" and "it looks real good tho"

seems like a terrible idea. too much work to fix all the mistakes.

i bet that "carson top" was put on there as an easy fix for a botched chop.

8. cakes

cakes

certainly so, doesn't look quite like a 6" chop either

your tattoo work looks pretty good by the way, nice line work

9. brad chevy

brad chevy

You couldn't get $2500 out of that thing here. Crap top job,no windows at all,did you notice ,looks like golf balls on the wiper stems. Good thing you didn't see the price in the ad. For $6500 you can find a descent finished shoebox that you can actually drive.

10. Thanks!

Yeah that chop looks maybe 3-4" The guy has no idea what he's talking about.

I think I got excited on a project I could actually drive and wasn't thinking about all the negatives...would it even be worth it if i could get it dirt cheap?

11. flamed34

flamed34

I think that is a 6" chop. If you look at the chop of our '51 in my albums, that is a 4" - 4 1/2" chop.

The top is bad. That car started as a 2 door sedan made into a convertible (same as ours), and getting the top to look right is hard. Ours is MUCH better (lengthened and widened '69 mustang folding top) but we still keep it down as much as possible.

There's a fair amount of work in that car: frenched lights, bubble skirts, decent interior, striping, custom grille treatment, WWW's...you couldn't build it for the $2500 or $3500 numbers being thrown around IF it's actually decent and runs good.

So, the question is - how much would you be willing to pay for it if it didn't have a top at all since you'd have to redo it? If everything else is up to par, I'd say in the $4500 range if you can do the work yourself.

12. I was thinking IF the car was in decent shape aside from the horrible top and ran and drove as well as the guy said then i'd offer him 2500-3000 tops. But as Im talking to him more about it through texts it just seems sketchy.

13. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Up in Illinois its hard to find a decent solid car so that drives the price up.....some, I would say if you look at it and like it, you can fix it while you drive it to make it your own. 6500 seems steep but most decent runners are around 5 grand.

plus voodoo larry striped it, hes kinnda like jesus around here.....famous and stuff........right?

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pinstriping doesn't add any value if you plan to sand it off.

I think he is going to be sitting on that one for a while so the price might come down where it belongs.

The Plus factor is that it is a shoe box Ford that allegedly runs and drives ok.
    The other plus factor is that there isn't anything done to it that you can't undo without a few parts and some serious work.

The minuses = a less than stellar chop and top setup with no windows to close the car up. Not too good when you get out of Florida or Arizona.
    Along with that I'd bet it flexes quite a bit going down the street as there most likely isn't any reinforcement in the body or frame to strengthen it after removing the roof
    Then you get to the body sheet metal that doesn't look like it lines up worth a damn.

I'd think that two or three weeks from now about 35 nice green $100's waved under his nose might just seal the deal. Right now he thinks he is going to get rich of some rube that just has to have one of those "cool ratrods".

15. fms427

fms427

That price would be pretty good for a REAL shoebox convert ( I paid about that much for my 49 as a rusty ,but complete barn find) - but for a 2 door with the top whacked off all bets are off. For many people that is a ruined car - unless you put a lot of work in it adapting windows and top that works, is not much good in our neck of the woods, with rain and stuff:D. I personally would RUN from it :eek:.

16. Thing looks like hell... The top is useless and looks like crap, body work and custom front end work looks like crap, etc. IMO it looks like some hillbilly/red neck watched too much TV and decided "hell man, I'll sell my camo pick up truck and build a RAT ROD". I'd pass and keep looking. If he is asking $6500 for the piece of shit, you know he won't take $2500-$3500. I'd pay no more than $2500 personally just because it looks like it was an unsuccessful chop converted to a convertible to cover it up. For $6500 you should be able to find an unmolested shoebox that runs and drives. May not look the best and need some body work and paint/interior but at least it's a fresh start.

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

X2.............most sane post so far

Ray

18. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

NO WAY for that price !
    Cut the roof off then make a shitty top , then use different parts they had laying around to slap on the car and then all it has is a flathead 6 . :eek:

Keep looking if you have that much to play with . You can get a lot better car for $6000 !

Retro Jim

19. I think you are in the ball park with your pricing. Good luck.

20. Skam213

Skam213

yeah that top is bad..... and I agree....nice Tattoo work Steve, looks like traditional is your favorite style to tattoo also.

21. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I agree with most of the above...but what have you to loose by taking a drive to look at it.....??
    Find out if it flexes when you drive it, as well as check out the body work yourself...
    You never know, ~$3500 -4000 may just get it for you, and as stated above, nothing really ruined on it....a different top would make a real difference..
    Good luck, and let us know what you do, or what it really looks like...
    Cheers........

22. swazzie

swazzie

Well for one , that boat cover for a top is useless. Go look at it. Take a lot of magnets and check out the lower a posts and rockers and floor supports and rear wheel houses and lower front fenders and rear gravel pan and make sure he starts it while it's cold so you can hear how much it rattles and puffs oil. $6500? no fucking way.....g"luck and use your head!!