Register now to get rid of these ads!

any pictures of 1937 Chevy gassers??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kellys Hot Rod Parts, Jan 12, 2012.

1. WCD

WCD

Sherm Gunn's "Silencer" AA/GS was big and heavy compared to the competetions Anglia's, and blown roadsters etc that made up the local So-Cal circuit. Still he always seemed to qualify for the 8 car shows. And the car's black paint gave it a Mafia look.

2. I am thinking about going with the AMT kit paint scheme..Maybe with an aluminum filled grill and speed holes. Heres the progress to this point. The 60s glass front is going to take some work ...

Attached Files:

3. Far out!! If the front was any higher it would get a nose bleed

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

WOW! My mouse stopped in its tracks!^^^

5. metalman

metalman

Mine from the 70's. 396, turbo 400, candy blue lacquer, AI fiberglass tilt nose. Daily driver & weekend bracket car. Out of style when I built it but I had a ton of fun in it. I'm now a Ford guy but another 37 Chevy coupe would be welcome in my garage anytime.
    37-1.JPG

37-2.JPG

6. jazz1

jazz1

Some really nice gassers,,,might go that way with my '36
    [​IMG]

7. Not quite sure of the year. hard to spot the grill.:)

Attached Files:

8. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

[​IMG]

The reissue of the kit -

[​IMG]

I have the '70's issue of the Salt Shaker. Need to finish that thing someday... :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 20th Century Chevy

20th Century Chevy

FWIW, I would leave the stock grill.....Really like them.

Attached Files:

• Sam.jpg
      Sam.jpg
      File size:
      101.1 KB
      Views:
  10. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Snfighter:

Do you know which drag strip this happened at?

I noticed the door says Mount Vernon, New York and I was just wondering who owned the car since I used to live up in that area years ago.

Jimbo

11. These look more like pro mods than gassers!!

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This one is out the northwest, 489 incher on gas! It goes amazingly straight down the track.

Attached Files:

13. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

user3731_pic13725_1219166398.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  14. New York national speedway. 1966... maybe 67. kinda fuzzy now.:)
    Car was called Flaming Arrow. if that helps.

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

One from Oregon in the mid-60s.Sorry it's a 38

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  16. I have decided to sell my 37 any offers??

17. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Bump. Let's see more...

18. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

I stole these somewhere...
    Chevy Coupe '37 3.jpg

Chevy Coupe '37 4.jpg

Chevy Coupe '37 9.jpg

Chevy Coupe '37 10.jpg

Chevy Coupe '37 12.jpg

19. Love the coupes and 2dr. sedans 36-39. Any more pics of sedan gassers? Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

21. CGkidd

CGkidd

Oh damn that is one bitchin looking gasser 49ratfink

22. CGkidd

CGkidd

Anyone here got a extra 37 grill? I have a fiberglass 37 car nose someone cut down to use on a truck for my project.

23. lawman

lawman

Love those 37s !!!! Thanks for the pictures Guys.

24. gasserrod

gasserrod
    from maryland

This car belongs Gordy Ford a friend of mine. I helped him recreate his car from the 70's

Attached Files:

• 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      180.3 KB
      Views:
    • 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      185.3 KB
      Views:
    • 043.jpg
      043.jpg
      File size:
      316.6 KB
      Views:
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. stan292

stan292

Gang -

Here's my '37 gasser from back in the day (1968). Bought the car just like you see it here (less motor and trans - it had been set up for a B-block MoPar of some sort) for $500 cash while living in Springfield, MO.

Perfect show quality all the way. Complete naugahyde interior, bucket seats, chrome window trim, full stereo and speakers - even had the working orginal clock in the glovebox door!

Tilt 'glass front end, solid front axle, ladder bars, genuine American magnesium (not aluminum) 5-spokes all around - M&H slicks on the back.

I added a roll bar, later model Olds rearend, chromed the front axle, and switched out all the running gear hardware (down to the nuts and bolts) for racing quality stuff.

Engine was a 292 C.I. Chevy inline 6 (built by the guy who had done much of the work on the then-current AHRA inline altered roadster national record holder - except mine had a few more trick parts!).

It had the requisite Muncie close-ratio 4-speed, Hurst shifter, etc. The class record was 13.50 seconds. The record-holding altered I mentioned, with essentially the same motor was running in the low 11's (albiet a few hundred pounds lighter) . NO DOUBT though, the '37 would have been a killer as it very likely would have run mid-12s at least.

But lo and behold, when the car was 98% finished (needed only final ignition wiring and a few very minor details) out of the blue I scored a chance to move to L.A. and take a job at Mickey Thompson, Inc. .

I ended up flat-towing the car (less motor and trans which belonged to my partners) to L.A., and selling it for $600 less than a year later (yes, I'm tearing up, even as I type this). WORST mistake of my life!!!

Of course, I was just a 25 year old kid and figured there'd be a hundred more bitchin' rides to come. Well, you can guess the rest. I expect the car like I sold it would bring well on the far side of $20K today (although, I sure as hell wouldn't sell it now - at any price!).

There's probably a lesson here for you young guys, if only that you'll most likely do something as stupid as I did before your reach my age (68).

Sorry, I don't have any more photos. The first pic was taken inside our shop in Springfield (without the motor and trans). The second one in L.A. gives a much better idea of it's high quality finish.

You'll have to excuse me now. I gotta go out and kick my sorry old ass around the block, like I do every time I think about that car. (-:

Attached Files:

26. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

there used to be a tahitian red coupe that sat at a service station at towson and i street in fort smith arkansas --had an sbc --very nice car --super clean--belonged to the Brotherton guy that owns BRODIX ---any pics out there?---around 1963 or 64

27. i spent tome with kenny and this car i love it
    it left the family a few years ago

28. bowtie40

bowtie40

Sure hope my 40 chev don't ever end up like that one, Ouch!!!:(

29. Sold mine and it left this morning...

Attached Files: