Register now to get rid of these ads!

Having new keys cut for 62 ford ignition and locks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by young'n'poor, Apr 15, 2012.

1. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Ok long story short after too much alcohol I ended up in the river last night and lost the only set of keys to my 62 ford galaxie. I tried a box of old ford keys I got at an estate sale awhile back but none worked.

Will I need to buy a new tumbler and get new keys or would a knowledgable lock smith be able to cut me keys for this?

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

There has to be an interesting story there somewhere ! :eek:

I have taken ignition switches into a locksmith and they can make a new key, same for the door locks. They can also do it at the car but I think it is a little more expensive.

Don

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Just move the rubber from the door jamb, right in line with the door lock. There's a flat 'horseshoe' clip that slides out...pull it out and remove the door lock from the outside.

Take that to the locksmith, it is 'coded' by the different length pins. He can cut you a perfect key from that. (IF your ignition switch is original, and matches the door locks; Galaxies did. So did most Fords.)

4. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

trunk is different than ignition.

5. Smokey2

Smokey2

"Alkee-hol "
    Low Morals and Poor Decisions..........

6. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Any real locksmith can do it, get spares this time round.

7. I don't know if Ford made a habit of it, but you might find your key code information stamped on the outside of the lock cylinders. If not, a locksmith should be able to help you out. Ask him if he can "impression" a key using your locks. If he says "Huh?", call another locksmith. ;)

8. cmbrucew

cmbrucew
    from Socal

Call 32phil 845 457 3546.
    He can cut ford keys 1932 to 1964 from the number.
    I think he is on here and the fordbarn.
    Bruce

Works good
    Lasts long time

9. Torchie

Torchie

Hope you weren't in the car when this happened.

10. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

Good lesson here. Most hardware stores can cut a new key from your original. Problem comes when your key is so old, they no longer carry the correct blanks. One of the first thing anyone should do when they aquire an old car is to make several sets of keys. This may mean researching and finding the correct blanks to take to the local hardware store. This is one area where "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

11. Along those lines, I always carry spare keys on a trip. Just in case I lose track of the ones I'm using, or go swimming with my "personal belongings" and lose them.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As Atwater Mike said, if the ignition key worked the door lock just pull the door lock out and take it to a good locksmith. I've done it a number of times for one reason or another including buying a car that didn't have keys with it.

13. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Ok after several phone calls I found a locksmith who knew what he was doing. 3 sets of keys and a lesson learned. For the record the car was nowhere near me, I don't drink and drive.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"trunk is different than ignition" Pretty sure the glove box one takes care of that...
    I'm REALLY expert at losing or locking up stuff...for my old Nova I wasted a lot of time and thought figgering out places like insde the air cleaner to hide spare keys. Finally I got locked out with nothing handy...I searched the parking lot for old clothes hangers or any other object that might help me pop the door...nada. Hands starting to freeze. Eyeballs starting to freeze. Doom, defeat, and despair.
    Then...I thought of the DIPSTICK. I quickly found that would go past the rubber seal and flip up the vent window lock faster than I could have worked a key...
    Thenceforth, I just kept a spare key set INSIDE the car, and depended on my trusty dipstick to get me to'em...

15. reece

reece
    from NC

old Nova theft rates just increased by 127%.....

16. more often than not, when i bought a car or truck with only one set of keys, i have found the second set in a hide-key box hidden on the car somewhere.

17. Ford of that era have the code on the passenger door cylinder.

Occasionally the glovebox cylinder does not have all the pins active, to save money. So it won't work to cut a trunk key. Too, it may not even BE locking (my Falcon).

Cosmo