Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Camper, "The Canned HAMB" trailer project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Dec 21, 2011.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yes, her sister is cute!

Yup. The counter corner as already been radiused, as has the splatter shield behind the stove that makes the microwave bulkhead. I have to take more off the corner of the table as well, as I pushed the refer/counter right up to the booth. There was originall a 6" dead space between.

Brian

2. I can't believe the progress you've made on this project! I'll be watching and looking forward to seeing the finished product.

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I took time out from posting witty remarks about using Rust-O-Leum paint on cars worth more than a hundred bucks, and got busy on the wiring on the "Tini-Home" today. As usual, I made several trips to the hardware store to get what I needed, or thought I already had, and had to correct a couple of gaffs, but it's coming along. We're now at the "buying cool stuff" phase, and there's some of that too. Check out the progress at "Cool McCool's Garage", here are a couple teasers!

(My wife and the new puppy are thrown in just because they're cute.)

Attached Files:

4. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pup looks like a typical kid. Take their picture, and they stick their tongue out at you. Love the camper, just a question about the A/C. Is that just a window air stuck through the side? Or what does it look like outside? Thanks

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yes, it's a wndow mount unit, the same make and model that "Jayco" uses in all their smaller trailers. Ergo, we ordered the Jayco intake and exhaust vent covers! The A/C sticks out about 1/2", the exhaust grill covers it. Looks alot like a fridge vent panel, found on all RV's. Not objectionable at all.

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The wiring is DONE. Had one minor gaffe (lights wired in series don't NEED a dimmer!), but that was easily corrrected, once my brain started working again.

Almost ready to go camping!

Attached Files:

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Cozy... a womb to move! Gary

8. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

That's coming along real nice...just in time for camping season!!

9. 73super

73super

LOVE IT! I love seeing a guy with a passion for classic trailers! I'm seeing more and more of this and it gives me hope that one day we'll see more out on the road being pulled by our classic cars. You're doing an excellent job and love seeing the wife working next to you on this... You've got one nice wagon too!

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Looks great! Guess there's not room for even a "wet" bathroom in there, huh?

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

None, although if we wanted to sacrifice the bed for a gaucho, it could be done.

Thanks! I'm trying to think of how our '48 Pontiac would look done up "Taildragger" style to tow it, losing the "Street-Rod" look, and do it without spending any money. We're planning on camping in it the last weekend in April, Kim's birthday.

My wife LOVES the wagon, it's her favorite car. She's into the camping thing, and supports the idea of having not only the trailers, but a garage full of cars to tow them.

Brian

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hmmm, got any pics of the '48?

13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Sure do. Already has a cat 4 hitch, load leveler system and brake controller. Needs some Fiestas, a quickie polish job, and the original seats back in it.

Brian

Attached Files:

14. I'd love to have one of those some day when I've got time to enjoy it.

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's much harder than I'd thought it would be to hang the siding. Good thing I abandoned the idea of glueing it on with contact cement.

Brian

Attached Files:

16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't shimmy it around with contact cement. So . . . you used . . . real thin bead of construction adhesive (PL400) . . . few grommet screws . . . gonna router the edges? Man, you are a jack of all trades, Brian! Looks great!

17. Looks like a great project. I'd love to find an old teardrop to pull with my truck.

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

LOL, Jack-of-all-trades but master of none! I've the panels (got the right side tacked up as well but after I took pics) temporarily mounted with deck screws, but they'll be pulled as I staple the sides to the body at the top. The trim that goes on the top/side seam isn't wide enough to assure that all the screw heads would be covered. The Filon is thick enough to countersink holes and have the screws flush, which I did around the A/C opening and storage hatch openings, but don't want to see any screw heads peaking out from under the trim.

It looks REALLY neat, and I've got enough of the Filon left over to maybe build a tear-drop style trailer that I could tow with the '36. I kinda want a Mullins trailer for it, but I can't afford to pony up for a 'glass replica, or buy a ratty original and restore it. For a couple hundred bucks I could have a teardrop that would hold a spare tire, tools, jack, etc., all the stuff that keeps me from feeling comfortable heading out of town in the '36 now!

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

A LONG day of work, and I've only managed to get the sides finished. Tomorrow I hope I can the roof on, which looks like it'll be even harder than the sides. Man, this thing is killing me, camping had better be fun...

Brian

Attached Files:

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I don't know why I was worried about how to to this, the "Filon" composite RV skin I bought for the Tini-Home went on relatively easy! I'm hoping to get the thing done enough to use it the last weekend of April for my wife's birthday, it looks like it's possible!

http://flynbrian48.wordpress.com/

Brian

Attached Files:

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

ARRRGGGHHH. Had a frustrating day working on the trailer, but it all ended well, thanks to my wife helping me get the VERY balky front window in. I'd thought I'd get them all mounted and several other tasks done, but sometimes things don't go as planned. Here's some pics of todays work, and more at "Cool McCool's Garage"...

Brian

Attached Files:

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

That looks awesome Brian!! I still cant believe how fast you are gettin this project done....you will HOPEFULLY enjoy some vacation time with it before the next project!

23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What Steve said ^^^ !

24. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

It's coming along real nice, Brian...awesome job!!!

25. Looks like you will make that camping date. It looks great from here.

26. not dead yet

not dead yet

Very cool..well done. The wife and I purchased a 59 Shasta this spring and are starting to repair it so we can pull it behind her 47 caddy....which I am trying to get together to go to Torquefest III in Maquoketa Ia on the third of May. I have to get the car ready first so not a lot is happening in the camper area but am anxious to really dig into that project as well.

27. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

I haven't viewed this thread for a bit but I must say, very good job and its looking good.

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

From smelly eyesore to Sleek Silver Beauty in just three short months! There's a bit more to do before we hit the road (in just two weeks!), but we're getting there. Here's a couple pics of Kim and I working yesterday getting the little stuff done...

Attached Files:

29. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Very cool to see this progress. Love it!

30. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Cool build! I am in the process of rebuilding an old Yellowstone to pull behind one of the toys. I hope to have it ready for "Relic Riot" this year so maybe you'll get to see it. I loved your unit you brought to the show last year and I have to say it is your fault I dug into this trailer project! I am keeping mine "original" looking and the inside will be the bare minimum. I would like some info an that AC unit you went with if you can send me a link or something! Thanks