Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 to 250 swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50styleline, Apr 1, 2012.

1. 50styleline

50styleline

Got my birthday present. It's a 250 from an 82 pickup. Gonna mate this with a 700r4 for my 50 Styleline and save the 235 for the 59 Apache. Any advice? Also who is recommended for getting the mounts from. Thanks in advance. I know the search is my friend but there is not a lot of technical info on how to do this just that is has been done alot and everyone says do a small block cause it's just as easy. I wanna stay with a six.

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know if anyone makes specific mounts for this engine in those cars, but you can treat it like a V8 if you get the engine brackets that were used with the 230/250 in trucks from about 1963 to 1972. They bolt to the block, and each has 3 bolt holes in exactly the same position as the V8 block mount holes.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The best I can can offer is to set the engine and trans in and get the trans mounted where you want it and then level the carb and start figuring out what to do about engine mounts. The mounts on it end up being pretty bulky when you use them with the mount that they are intended to be used with.
    [​IMG]
    That might be hard to figure out something to set it on and still look presentable in the Chevy.

Here is what I am planning on doing on my 48 truck and it could be done on the 50 car
    [​IMG]
    . I'm planning on building mounts that bolt to the side of the block and run out a few inches on each side to where they sit on a piece that sets off the frame and uses a Ford biscuit mount. Simple, not ugly and easy to figure out and fabricate.

OOPs beer brain time, it looks like I drew the piece that bolts to the engine upside down.

4. 50styleline

50styleline

I have seen something similar from speedway. They call em universal offset mounts. Squirrel has good advice and I am gonna try looking for some of those before trying my novice hand at fab work.Thanks for the knowledge you guys are passing on.

5. I think the 250 is a tad bit longer, that will be something you will need to take into consideration when setting your mounts.

6. Snarl

Snarl

Are you using the stock steering? then you need the drivers side mount shifted forward to miss the pitman arm when it comes forward.
    You will also want the cylinder head to nearly touch the firewall for fan clearance.
    I'll have a few sets of mounts ready for testing in about 3 weeks...

7. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

Chassis Engineering has chev 6 inline mounts. I adapted them to my frame fairly easy(Intn'l P.U.) they are cheap enough and they use the rubber biscuit.

8. 50styleline

50styleline

I have an aftermarket radiator(ebay) that is already moved forward that does not use the old support. I think the longer block should not be an issue. The mounts from Chassis Engineering were mentioned before in a search I read here. I haven't checked the brackets yet but I am sure the alternator should bolt up ok. Any other info before I start ordering parts is appreciated. Thanks

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it's pretty easy to shorten the shaft on the waterpump enough to run a pulley off a V8 to get the fan back away from the radiator.

10. 50styleline

50styleline

shilde6, that's just what I need. Thanks