Register now to get rid of these ads!

np833 tranny and bbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by v8nova64, Apr 14, 2012.

1. v8nova64

v8nova64
    from !!

wondering if anyone has used a np833 tranny from the 80's pickups with a bbc for drag racing. I currently have a rebuilt 307 with 0 miles with a t5 from a v8 firebird. never used it after the rebuild but i want to swap in a big block and am afraid it will blow up the T5. I am hoping to do some drag racing with the car. any other cheap manual transmissions i can use with a big block in my 64 nova gasser?

Has anyone tried using a hydraulic clutch with these trannys?

2. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Not sure how well they hold up, mine isn't driving yet. On the hydraulic clutch I think you could easily adapt a hydraulic throwout bearing or a hydraulic slave cylinder to push the clutch arm by fabbing your own bracket or using the Novak Adapters kit. I'm running a mechanical linkage.

I met a guy at the Wichita swap meet (he's from Texas, don't remember the name) but he specializes in manual rebuilds and he had a fresh NP833 with him. I asked him about my setup (approx 400 horse) and he seems to think they are stout enough for it, especially when compared to the standard fare muncies. I really have no idea yet though but can't wait to roast the tires and find out!

3. 73RR

73RR

Are you looking at the overdrive version? Or did GM actually use a 'normal' 4-speed in the pu's? The OD version is not a drag-race friendly due to the gear spread. Yes, you can swap internals around.

Adapters for the Mopar A833 behind GM big blocks in the 60's and 70's were popular since they held up better than the muncies/saginaws.

If you are making serious hp then spend the money and go to t-56 or tko.

4. I have been told the old racers put a-833's behind everything, so i would pull the trigger...

5. v8nova64

v8nova64
    from !!

anybody know where i can find one of them adapters for chevy v8 to mopar a833?

6. v8nova64

v8nova64
    from !!

can a th350, th400 or 4L60 be shifted manually without installing a kit? Is there a diy modification i can do to make it manually shift?

7. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i like the np833a chevy truck transmisions and but them up evert chance i get. i never felt that the gear ratio span was too far apart. they have a goo 1st gear that is lower than a th350. on the top end you have an od. i have speed shifted mine throttle to the floor never lifting and shifted with no clutch and i have never broken ANYTHING. i am sold on them.

8. v8nova64

v8nova64
    from !!

are they any good for drag racing?

9. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i never had mine on the track . it was in a 86 C-10 short bed. all my drive was street.

10. v8nova64

v8nova64
    from !!

thinking of buying a Sbc 350 block bored 80 over, with pistons, connecting rods, cam shaft (460 lift), and lifters. will i be able to get atleast 400 horses from this? thats all that is included with the sale.

what else should i purchase for the block?

I have a pair of stock 283-327 heads, stock 4 barrel carb, Stock Hei Ignition. Not sure if i can get 400 horses using this stock stuff?

will need an intake not sure if i should look for a stock one or?

please if someone knows of a list of parts (the cheaper the better) i need please lmk.

thank you

11. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

Really?? NO CLUTCH, Really?? Full power shift no clutch? I've heard that before but never took a ride with any one who could prove it. If one want's to powershift a vintage trans, it's probably a good idea to crash box the gear dogs and sliders. Make sure the clutch releases clean too. I know, I know all kinds of cars back in the day were power shifted successfully and constantly, but they broke a lot too. Street is one thing, the traction at a drag strip is usually a lot different than on the street and things tend to break there, so bring your tow rope.

12. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Brewers Performance all they do is 833 trannys
    937 698 4259

13. 73RR

73RR

You will have better luck starting a new thread for engine questions.

14. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

080 over? Not with a stock block.

15. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

True that.

16. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

The 833 in the Chevy Trucks is the same main case as the 833 4spd OD that Mopar used--it's an aluminum case.
    The countershaft is registered directly in the aluminum case, and under abuse, the countershaft tends to wallow out its hole in the case. Once that happens, things go bad, rather quickly.
    Mopar guys don't use the aluminum-case 4-speeds behind big blocks and hot small blocks for that reason.

There is a fix: you can take the case to a machine shop and have the register bored and bushed with a steel bushing.

The regular 4-speeds from Mopar (non-OD units) used a steel case--that's why they were bulletproof.

Direct Connection had a light-weight Super Stock trans case that was aluminum, and it came with a big bushing for the counter shaft. I've got one of those, set up as a crash-box... it's a 1:1 final drive.

Passon Performance specializes in the OD manual transmissions, and they've got a beefy aluminum main case, internals, etc.

I've got the stock Chevy 4spd OD in my daily driver '61 Suburban, and am very happy with it.
    -Brad

17. v8nova64

v8nova64
    from !!

From the info i have gathered i guess its no good for drag racing. Thanks