Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chop Top Question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RagtopBuick66, Apr 14, 2012.

1. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I've always loved the look of a roofline dropped a few inches, especially on a long car like a 49-51 Merc. Unfortunately, I do not have a 49-51 Merc. I do, however, have a 53 Chevy 210 that I've been kicking around the idea of chopping, and I MAY be looking at a 53-54 Star Chief this week. One or the other is probably going to get chopped. I'm OK with the metalwork portion of it. No problems there. But I've always wondered...

Where the hell do you get new glass for something like that? I'm not a moron, I've just never done it, and I've often wondered where one would get the shorter curved glass for the windshield or rear window. I've got a spare set of front and rear windows, but to my knowledge, they can't be recut, right?

I'm sure its been asked before, but if I DO decide to try this toward the end of the summer, I'd like to have my duckies in a row, and not go into it with any unanswered questions.

Thanks y'all!

2. 76formulafiend

76formulafiend

They can be cut but you want to have an experienced glass guy do it and its best if you get your glass cut first then fit your chop to the glass. my 2¢

3. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

That makes absolute sense to me. See? THAT'S why I come to the H.A.M.B.! My dumb ass would've cut first, then tried to have a windshield made to fit! LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLL

4. bottledViolence

bottledViolence

if all your side glass is laminated it can be cut at almost any glass shop but since its all flat you could get new windows made out of tempered glass and its not that pricey.the rear window would usually be stock height but slanted so you wouldn't need it cut,but when it comes to the windshield once you find a shop who is willing to cut it do some research and see the work they've done on other cars.i had a shop that did a windshield on a 53 buick i did and they seemed very knowledgeable and were completely interested in doing it and said they chop everyones glass in the area.so when it came time to drop the car off they kept putting it off then after 2 weeks they have me drop the car off and they do all the glass in about 2 days but did a very sloppy job and did a poor job of cutting the glass with gaps that you could stick your finger between the windshield and roof when installed.so in the end make sure the shop knows what they're doing

5. If the rear window is Tempered, it can not be cut.

There are several methods of cutting laminated safety glass.

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

There are now laminated back glass windows made for the cheeby, these may well fit the tin indian, as well. They arn't cheap, but are available. A real glass guy who didn't learn his craft by watchin You Tube Viedos will be a major must for any chop project.

" Don't drink the Kool-Aid "

7. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

As far as the rear window, ever heard of using a rear window from another vehicle? Perhaps a VW Beetle? What might be some good options?

Unfortunately, CHEAP is key at the time being...

8. I cut my own windshield.
    Using a dremal tool and green stones. I'll look for a link.

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2955853

The back glass is stock
    The sides I made templates from plastic sheet, which my local glass shop can use to cut the glass to

9. bottledViolence

bottledViolence

best way to co would be a 49-52 chevy rear window or any window with that shape something like this

Attached Files: