Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ignorance of some people.... What a shame!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Faus, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Not overly surprised about the first bit. Obviously you dont understand the concept/policies of countless (read: almost all) scrap yards, which is also what I was referring to. ;)

2. slammed

slammed

Offer the lush BEER! A couple cases of White Trash, errr Bush Lite!

3. Ed "Axle" II

Ed "Axle" II
    from Evans,CO

I just talk to a friend about this and he told me that in VA his Bother had a 2000 something F250 he needed every thing but the body sold it to the yard for scrap and got over $400 not that I like it but the scrap is going for big cash in some place. So this may be how this guy is paying his rent.

4. chopt31

chopt31

i was at a local scrap iron buyer with a buddy, he was hauling a load of scrap in, we went in the building to get paid and in the aluminum pile was 3 torq thrust style wheels, i offered 150 for the 3, owner said " i buy scrap, im not a wheel dealer" what an ass!

5. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I thought that was their curb weight with the driver and a 12 pack.

6. asked if I could buy it and the rest of the truck, he said "Hell no! I know you're type, gonna give me nuthin' for some scrap and sell it for money at da yard!"

Sounds like he's done that before, sell stuff off the back of his truck. Maybe he's cleaning out some honey hole of old stuff. As ignorant as you think he is, he's got a truck load of old tin and you don't. Do what he does and you'll get what he has gotten.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Kinda cocky aren't you? While there is a trend toward scrap yards not seling once it's inside the gates, that does not (yet) apply to all scrappers.

When you have done as much for the hobby as Scarebird maybe you will have earned some cred.....'til then.....you might want to consider a little respect for others.

Ray

8. This is a big site, covers the globe actually. In my area, the scrap yards geared to the public will sell you what ever you want. Some places that go by weight in and weight out doesn't matter what you came in with or left with.

9. This is a big site, covers the globe actually. In my area, the scrap yards geared to the public will sell you what ever you want. Some places that go by weight in and weight out doesn't matter what you came in with or left with. Boneyards don't want the liabilities of selling complete vehicles, and the big yards won't let anything out of the gate.

10. the-rodster

the-rodster

You can't save 'em all.....

[​IMG]

11. but we should. everytime old tin is crused a spark plug loses is wings...er...spark

12. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

You're right, but at about 90% or so; thats where that comment was derived from.
    Im not in the absolute least bit cocky; if you were to meet me you'd know. In fact I try my hardest to save countless countless other cars from experiencing the same fate as do the ones so far listed in this thread. Thus far thats totaled probably about 60-70 cars/trucks/vans in total, and I've yet to receive a cent for any of that. I just found his comment to be off, and called him on it.

EDIT: No biggie, Im surprised how worked up some of you guys are over this.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  13. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I prefer to cut all my scrap into un reconizable pieces that people don't want:D

Attached Files:

14. Seems you were the one that let that old classic go to the crusher. He told you 75 bucks and you walked. The scrap yards offer a price, then pay that price.
    Most hotrodders bitch about the scrappers, but when push comes to shove, they really want it for less than scrap price and want it delivered for free.
    Besides, if it wasn't for the scrappers and scrap yards, where would all those 32 ford patch panels and brookville bodies come from.

15. Faus

Faus

I guess the biggest thing is I Asked what he wanted and he refused to accept any offer I could make... He had made his mind up before I had a chance. It's a shame when it can't be saved no matter what we do.

16. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

I have to agree with RJP. We've all read several of these threads. Unfortunately the time has come when it is more profitable, and less hassle, to sell your iron to the scrap yard. I have been in this business for years, and owned several wrecking yards. Don't get me started again on cheap people wasting your time, walking around not buying anything, and usually breaking or stealing something. If you want a project or a part, buy it. It's probably not going to get any cheaper, and they aren't making them anymore. My last junk car was a rusty 57 Ford 2dr wagon. Got stopped on the interstate by a guy. I told him $200 delivered to his house. He wouldn't buy it, but he thought he should waste my time. The car brought $380 at the scrappers, and I got my parts off of it. There are plenty of cars for sale, and reasonably priced. You just have to quit whining, and part with some of your cigarette and beer money. Unfortunately, some people can't be persuaded to sell stuff, even if they would make more money from a private individual. But, when you low ball someone you usually get what you deserve.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  17. As much as it annoyed you it was his and it was up to him to choose who,with and where he wanted to do business. Simple as that. That in itself doesn't make it ignorant who knows how similar deals have worked for him. The scrap yard has obvious results.

18. title ? stolen ? scrap? why the dodgey behavior... lucky ya dint get shot for askin !

19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I was at the largest junkyard in the state the other day and trucks with trailers loaded with scrap farm machinery as well as old trucks and a few old cars were lined up to get in.All day long.
    Full time scrappers? No.
    Farmers cleaning out groves and old equipment.Planting time is coming and fuel costs keep rising.They haul in weight for cash to cut down costs.
    I'll wager over the years they had offers for automotive stuff but nothing close to scrap weight.
    We car nuts of all varieties from restored classics to late model supercars probably comprise 1-3% of the general population.97 out of 100 people dont care,they have other hobbies which we may or may not care about.

20. A friend works at a scrap yard said a very clean thunder bird super cpe came in like new and was sold for scrap he said it cross,s the door and it has to be scraped what a shame wanted one since they came out

21. I've straight up thrown shit away in frustration. You try to do the right thing, list it for sale, lower the price, offer it free etc and people still want you to send pictures or they blow you off when they're supposed to come out. I threw a 42 ford hood away last year. Just left it at my curb and some scrapper took it. It was just about to become a murder weapon because of the stupid asshole that wanted it but didn't feel like coming to look at it or anything but still called me every day for two weeks.

22. 46mercury

46mercury
    from livonia MI

Cash talks. I've seen cars pulled out of barns and scrapped, that I could've had if I waved $500 each at the guy. But when I waved $50 and then $100 he just laughed. The key is waving enough cash.

I've offered flathead blocks for FREE on craigslist and people still email wanting pics and wanting me to check them for cracks etc.. I finally set 'em at the curb and placed a free ad with the address. They were gone in 20 minutes.

23. lolife

lolife

I never get emotional about steel. If I saw a pickup truck filled with watermelons, now there's something to get emotional about!

24. swazzie

swazzie

YAH!, I mean, you're smarter than him . Right?

25. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

The scrap yard around here will let you walk the yard and buy stuff. Their prices are lower than a salvage yard but higher than what they can get for scrap so I think it is a fair deal. So far I dragged out a late 60's coke machine (now restored/converted), a few steel wheels I needed, and an old Cragar SS a buddy wanted for a wall hanger. Hard part is catching them open, they open for a couple days and then close for a couple weeks!

26. fossiltin62

fossiltin62

There's a '33 coupe going into the ground not far from me. I guess he's "fixing" it. Disgusting.

27. 6-71

6-71

I dont know where you got that idea,but I have bought plenty of "scrap"from the yards 6 -71 blowers,9" ford rearends,4 speed trans,cushman scooter,pedal cars,harley rolling frame etc etc. all bought by the pound.

28. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

In kansas city, Once it goes over those scales, You can not buy it for no amount of money, And most big shreder's are that way, I have heard of smaller scrap yards who will sell stuff back by the pound, But around my part of the world, All you can do is watch it get destroyed and cry...

Also to the original poster, that $100.00 you was going to offer him, He prolly did better at the scale with prices being what they are right now.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  29. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

pretty obvious what you are getting ready to do.....All 4 doors dream of this happening to them one day.......LOL