Register now to get rid of these ads!

'63 Lincoln trunk (conv.) problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rdtreur, Apr 2, 2012.

1. rdtreur

rdtreur

Tomorow I'm going to look at a '63 Lincoln Continental convertable thats for sale.
    The seller said that the roof can not fold down and that there's no way to open the trunk.

Is there a way to open a '63 conv. trunk if the roof stop working?

Please let me know, I want to look to in that trunk before buying the car ;)

Many thanks, Ramon

2. there are 11 or 13 solinoids that run that top down. I've had to repair a few over the years (been about 30 years since the last one) every one had a different problem. get a manual. there is never a problem that can't be solved. the problem with the T=Bird and Lincolns is finding the problem. I wish I was more hellp good lluck

3. rdtreur

rdtreur

Thanx for the reply. Solving the roof problem is a problem for later. For now I just want to look in the trunk... Is that posible?

4. I don't think you want to start by passing systems. I think the lincoln is different than T-Birds that the first power unscrews the top (windshield header) then releases and raises the trunk. find and check the relays. I believe the ones to start are under the hood. then after the trunk is open the remander are in the trunk boot area

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

If the top is up you can remove the back seat and lift up the well, slide under and remove the latch from the inside.

Not sure if this applies to this specific vehicle but its worked for me several times in the past.

6. rdtreur

rdtreur

Thanks for the info guys. Just spoke to the owner and he found out that he could lift the back of the soft top, and lifted the trunk by hand.
    Lets hope it's not a rust bucket....

7. Reijer

Reijer

So how good or bad was the car? Always nice to read about other slabsides in Holland.

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nope. Not in that. Have to find the correrct sequence of selonoids to jump to unlatch the various latches, screw jacks, limit switches to get things open. Have fun!

Brian

9. Smokey2

Smokey2

Beautiful "Sleds"
    But, YES........Your gonna' NEED A MANUAL, Bubba..........Good Luck !!!

Smokey

10. rld14

rld14

The factory manual is pretty helpful, if you get stuck I have the 61 manual and the 62-63 supplement so I can always scan it and email ya the PDFs if you need it.

On these cars you need to worry more about the decklid itself than the trunk floor.

These are incredible cars but kinda complex. Most of the Lincoln people seem to habg out on thelincolnforum.net

On the engine... plan on changing oil pump, oil pump rod, timing gears and chain. Otherwise MELs are damn near bulletproof, though they can drink fuel like a Boeing 747.

Did ya buy it?

11. Reijer

Reijer

thelincolnforum.net is an excellent resource full of friendly and helpful members.

If you bought it, make sure the original timing set has been/will be replaced (the aluminium/nylon cam timing gear will break and clog the oil pick up tube). A high volume oil pump is a good idea, as is replacing your original oil pump drive shaft with this billet drive shaft from Precision Oil Pumps in Ca, (559)325-3553. The original is literally as thin as a pencil and really isn't up to the job. This replacement works for the MEL engines. It is an FE drive that is +.0375" Longer for Main Girdle Applications. This shaft is about .075 too long, but the MEL guys get them and grind that amount off the bottom (pump end) to make them fit. Just use a bench grinder. The shafts are $20.00 plus shipping.
    [​IMG]

12. rdtreur

rdtreur

Thanks on all the info guys! The car did look oke and the owner did want to trade his car for my '64 Merc but I need to solve some problems on the Merc first. So I'm busy with that at this time.
    I did find lots of good info on thelincolnforum. Great forum!

@ Reijer: Als ik de Lincoln uiteindelijk heb, dan ga ik zeker contact met je opnemen.

13. Reijer

Reijer

Sounds promising. You know where to reach me.

14. Reijer

Reijer

By the way, a non-operational top is a good reason to subtract between $1500 and $2000 from the seller's asking price. Just take a look at the prices for all the switches and pumps you'd have to order from Baker's Auto or LincolnLand....

Also, make sure the trunk lid isn't crispy. The '61-65 trunk lids often are rusty because the caulking between the frame and sheet metal attracts and holds water. You'll have a (very) hard time finding a nice replacement convertible trunk lid. Expect to pay well over $800.... for one that needs shipping and body work.

15. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

Like Reijer says, trunk lids are nearly impossible to find and the vert lid is different than the hardtop.
    Remember these cars are unibody so if the undercarriage is soft ,stay away.

16. rdtreur

rdtreur

I'm trying to post some photo's via the iPhone app later...

17. rdtreur

rdtreur

I can't upload the Photos with the iphone app but the Lincoln is sold to someone else...
    I thougt I had a deal but he sold the car anyway.... bummer

18. Reijer

Reijer

That's a shame. 60's continentals are rare in Holland, the convertibles even more so... hope you can locate another one soon.

19. rschilp

rschilp

Good luck on your project.

The continentals are plentifully here.

Laat me weten als je er een wil importeren.

20. Jimv

Jimv

There is two nightmares in automotive history,One is "sequential" turn signals on T-bird & cougars & Lincoln four door convertable tops!!
    I worked for L-M in 1968 and they can drive you crazy, especially the turn signal boxes that got flooded from water leaking into the trunk well!!.
    So good luck & if you really get stuck i might me able to find someone who can help you.
    JimV