Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gear Ratio Confusion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cody919, Apr 12, 2012.

1. cody919

cody919

I've got a narrowed Ford 9 Inch rear that came off a pro-street truck and can't seem to figure out the gear ratio. I tried spinning the passenger side for a full rotation and counting the amount of rotations the pinion spins, but the weird part is, it spins less than two full rotations. Could the gear ratio really be that high or am I missing something?

2. draider

draider
    from Texas

If it were me, I'd yank the axles and center section and count the teeth, but I do like doing things the hard way.

3. Larry T

Larry T

If you're spinning one tire (other on the ground?) then you have to spin it 2 full rotations. You can both tires 1 rotation or 1 tire 2 rotations and count the pinion rotation. Works out the same.
    We've talked about it before.

4. cody919

cody919

Its just the rear end up on some blocks, its no longer on the truck

5. judd55

judd55
    from B.C.

You need to spin the wheel two full revolutions ...........

"Shit I'm slow on the draw" :D

6. cody919

cody919

I'm a newbie! Just found a thread on it from a few weeks ago, got it now, thanks

7. Since it is out this is a good time to pull the diff and check the condition of the gears and bearings. Count the teeth on the ring gear and divide by the number of teeth on the pinion. The ring gear might already be labeled.

8. judd55

judd55
    from B.C.