Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone have a 51 chrysler?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51flathead, Apr 12, 2012.

1. 51flathead

51flathead

anyone got an old chrysler or something equivilent?

im having problem ith my fuel system. the car putts around fine but when i go down tghe road and grab second gear it seems like its running itself out of gas. i dont know if its draining the float bowl, fuel pump is bad or what?

we had a 71 ford truck that sucked air in the tank because the pickup tube was broke. does my car have anything like that?

any ideas?

thanks
    cody

2. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Sounds like a dirty fuel filter, or rust in the tank, something restricting full fuel flow. Also, make sure you have a vented gas cap, they were designed for that & the tanks don't have a separate vent.

Flat 6 or flat 8, right?

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

disconnect the fuel line at the pump, and blow some 10 to 15 # compressed air through the line back to the tank. There is a scintered bronze filter on the pickup, so listen at the filler for bubbles, the air flow will blow the crud out of the filter.

Next, take off the top of the carb and see how much fuel there is in the float bowl, when you are there, clean the needle and seat valve located where the fuel line enters the float bowl. Also there is a fine brass screen i the fule pump. If your pump has the sediment bowl it is located between the bowl and the inlet to the lower chamber of the pump. If you pump has no glass bowl, the screen is located between the lower chamber and the upper. To access it remove the center bolt in the lower chamber and remove the cover. Also check the bolt itself it is hollow and sometimes it gets fouled up with gunk.

And any air leaks in the line between the tank and pump will negatively impact the way the pump performs.

There is also a simple flow test for the pump. Witht he line to the carb discnnected, place it int a suitable container, (Plastic coke bottles work) now disconnect the coil wire, and have some one crank the starter. Count the pulses of the fuel pump. You chould have about 8 ounces of fuel for 10 to 12 pump strokes. If you have that you should be good to go.

Make sre you choke is fully opening also....

4. 51flathead

51flathead

spitfire 6.

has a new fuel filter, when its running bubbles bubble up in the filter. sucking air maybe?

5. 51flathead

51flathead

hmm ill have to check the screens tomorrow

thanks alot

6. tjmercury

tjmercury

Had that happen the the ol 48 dodge ant it turns out a former owner tried to put tank sealer in it and kit all broke apart and settled to the bottom, cleaned out the tank and changed the fuel filter, now it runs like a champ.

7. I got a fifty with the six. Check the fuel pressure as well as fuel volume. anything under 4 psi. will not work. But don't go higher than 6psi.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Could be a tiny hole in the fuel line sucking air. But if the fuel filter is at least half full the carb should not run out of gas.

In addition to checking the gas line and carb, check the wiring from the coil to the carb and to the transmission for frayed insulation on the wires, bare or broken wires etc. also make sure the wires are connected correctly. The coil wire could be shorting out when you go to shift, killing the motor.

If this is the case you could get a backfire through the muffler when the engine cuts back in.

9. 41 C28

41 C28

Had similar issue with my 41 Chrysler one time, the rubber fuel line was bad.

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Some times the rubber hose between the fuel pump and frame will look fine but will collapse under suction. I replaced mine with a section of steel line cut in half with the ends offset and a loop of new fuel line connecting them. The loop allows the engine to flex without straining the steel line.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

This is one of those questions it is practically impossible to answer. There could be a hundred different reasons. Those of us with some experience jump to the conclusion that the questioner has already checked the obvious like clogged fuel filter, weak fuel pump, leaky fuel line, plugged vent on gas cap etc.

You need to use your common sense to a certain degree. When you have taken all the obvious steps, and if you find more symptoms, come back and we will try again.

12. 51flathead

51flathead

update-

the pickup tube was filling up with sediment. put a gas can in the trunk and off we went lol

now i gotta yank the gas tank out and get it flushed and resealed

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Not so easy on one of those. Chrysler products of that era had a large filter in the tank. It is actually too big to fit thru the fuel filler or gauge hole. It must have been installed before the tank was welded together.

14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Did you try the compressed air process??? Sealing the tank will also seal the oilite filter, so I would give this process some thought.

You may need to do the compressed air deal a few times, but it usualy addresses the situation. Also give some though to adding one or two inline filters between the tank and pump.