Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Let's go shopping at JC Whitney! in 1958

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Philbilly

Philbilly

I recently bought some old rod & custom magazines from the early 60s. They all had an ad from JC Whitney. I'm amazed at what they offered!

2. It is nice of you to do this for us, thanks. They used the same silly illustrations when I used their catalogs in the 60's and 70's. Good that I didn't buy the really odd stuff. Werid things like "gyroscopic wheel stabilizers" which were in other words, big cast iron wheel weights.

3. U-235

U-235

I lived with these J C Whitney catalogs growing up, but I didn't remember ever seeing the Chevy grilles, and just imagine, a 54 Pontiac grille w/insert fo $37.00 ! I wonder if they back order..?

4. Ya gotta remember guy's, what you got from J.C. was not exactly what you would get from GM or Ford. Most of the exterior Chrome would only last for a year or so before it began to rust. But just the same, it was cool.

5. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Aw, man! I need that replacement grille for 53 Chevy on page 4! $67 and change is a bargain!

6. hogridenfool

hogridenfool
    from chicago

When I was a kid(in the 60's) my dad and I would go down there to get parts for his 57 Buick roadmaster,they had they had a 409 a small block chevy abig block chevy and an old ford engine,and a VW engine all on display with all chrome bolt on items and headers,when I started to drive and was building my car in 72, the engines were still there, in to the 80's they still were there.
    I had a few friends who worked there who used to get me great deals.
    they closed up quite a while ago,and moved to La Salle Il. the building is gone and condo's are in its place Burgger auto parte is also gone they were accross the street from them the only place left over there is Blue star auto parts.

7. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

I was there with my father in the early 70's when we lived in Chicago. That warehouse had to be a city block long and deep! It was just to much to take in at once for a young gearhead. Thanks for the post.

8. squirrel

squirrel

good stuff today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dana barlow, Stogy and Black_Sheep like this.
  9. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

I always loved the ads for the "snake oil" type products they sold that would proclaim- "its like new rings in a can" or some pellets to put in your fuel so you could get incredible gas mileage. we alwayse used to joke about seeing an ad for "race cam in a can":D

10. Well I'm glad to see that the Olds Starter Changeover has only gone up in price about 8.6 times since 1958. :rolleyes: :)

Though mine didn't come with instructions... or the oil bypass plate. Hmm... :D

11. squirrel

squirrel

More hot rod goodies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dana barlow, Stogy and Black_Sheep like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

Actual Mallory part numbers are listed....that's a rare thing in a JCW catalog

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

Real SW gages

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy and Black_Sheep like this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

Four more pages of fun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I want those louvered moon disc for my coupe.........

16. squirrel

squirrel

In the 60s when I was a kid, Grandpa's cars always had clear plastic seat covers on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

I wonder if anyone has actually seen a car with the aftermarket hooded headlight trim?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  18. definitive proof that all that junk was traditional, maybe not everywhere but obviously someone was buying and using that stuff.

one thing that is overlooked when looking at this catalog is how cheap all these parts appear to us today. my 1st job in 1968 (ten years after this catalog) paid $1.25 Hr minimum wage. so while stewart-warner gauges were had for 5-6 bucks that meant busting butt for 5-6 hours. jcw did have a lot of good deals and for many that was the only place to shop

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  19. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

First thing i run into is my old clubs plaque the Aristocrats ! I think my club had Danielson Ct. added to the bottom at some point as I have seen both styles. I was a late member in early 70s by then they had the town name on the plaques

20. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Yup! I remember getting a warshawski catalog and it was exactly like the JC whitney of the same month just different covers and of course addresses but page for page picture for picture the parts catalogs were identical ! this was mid 60s

21. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Here we go - Used hemi triple nickel heads - 38.50 ea

Edmunds hemi aluminum valve covers & dual quad intake - coooooool :cool:

Attached Files:

• 055.jpg
      055.jpg
      File size:
      169.2 KB
      Views:
    • 068.jpg
      068.jpg
      File size:
      150.3 KB
      Views:
    • 076.jpg
      076.jpg
      File size:
      181.6 KB
      Views:
  22. May Pop

May Pop

We would buy engine adapters,Jeep parts and cheap speed goodies.
    Never had a problem with the neighborhood. I remember the tall racks of parts and conveyors the parts would come down. This was in the 1970s. 3-4 of us would pile into a beater for the trip from the suburbs. It was always fastest to call the order in and it would be waiting for you. We were lucky to live less than 20 miles from there.
    Reading the catalog over and over for years taught me the sizes of every modern engine made. From that we figured what would swap from other car makes.Like if it used the same clutch we would try a trans swap.
    Like others said Whitney and Warshawskys were one and the same.
    Also some of the stuff was junk but we didnt know any better.
    They were on Wabash street. Right down the street was BERG KING of JEEPS,MIDWAY truck parts,Republic Jeep parts and Illinois trailer parts. Also any industrial parts a kid could want. Most were owned by grumpy old Jewish guys that would tell great stories once you got them going.
    It was a great time to grow up during.
    Ron

23. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Here's my current "JC Whitney" catalog these days

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Lotsa good gearhead stuff, but you need to dig a little

24. squirrel

squirrel

We use them for lots of robot parts! but not much for the cars....

25. stuff that appeared over night on my dad's car was order from JCW. Thanks for the memory.

26. squirrel

squirrel

dress up parts for the all new Edsel!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  27. This one from '62 has all the same illustrations, and the prices didn't change much in 4 years. Petersen sold the cover shot to Whitney who cut me out of the picture. Petersen owned the rights to all their print material so neither Rickman or I got a cent from Whitney.

[​IMG]

jnaki, Stogy and Black_Sheep like this.
  28. Church Key

Church Key

I wish I could find a set of those HIGH SPEED gears for the Chevy 3 speed transmission. I use that trans in my nostalgia Fiat altered.

29. Skrap metal

Skrap metal

ya know tf .. who's the dame in your avatar?

Stogy likes this.
  30. raymay

raymay

Was in Chicago visiting family in the early 70's and went downtown to JC Whitney to pick up some running board mats for one of my 37's. They always had some cool stuff and I bought a lot of it over the years.
    Thanks for sharing. The old catalog is awesome and the items and prices makes you wish they were still available today.