Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford spindles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coololdcars, May 2, 2011.

1. OK ! I may have been Had!! I have searched all over for info but seem to come up short on this. These were purchased as 48 Ford spindles. All info I have collected says they're 36 Ford. All diminsions look good except the king pin diameter. Instead of being .812 or close, these are around .920 or more!!! This is the I.D. of the bushing, not the actual axle bore. What the h--- have I got here??????:confused:

2. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Lincolns have a bigger bore, and could POSSIBLY be confused for '36s at a glance. Lincoln king pin inclination is noticeably different than Ford, too. DD

3. UT Ohhhh....That sucks..........

4. Not if you got a Lincoln axle

5. Anybody have a set of FORD spindles????

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

There are no pictures up that I can see, But the other possibility would be '53-'56 F-100.

7. 117harv

117harv

Need help, front axle identification?

Here is a link to a Lincoln axle id.thread that may help.

Also here are two spindles, the on on the left is a 35 and the right a 36. The 36 is approx. 1/2" longer and next year they went to the round back spindle. The other pic is a 36 axle with the later post round, square back spindles and later juice backing plates.

Here are some dimentions.
    The 35 and 36 measure 2 1/2" at the axle mount
    The later is just under 3"
    The 35 and 36 measure 3" across from backing plate mount hole to hole.
    The later is just under 3 3/8"

Hope some of this helps:)

Attached Files:

8. Canuck

Canuck

[​IMG]

37-41 spindles, 42-48 similar but flat across the top instead of round.

Canuck

9. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

46 ford and 36 ford spindles

Attached Files:

10. Here's a couole pics if they will help!!

Attached Files:

11. I have set of big truck spindles laying around, look pretty much like '35-'36 spindles; but the king pin bushing measure about .925 and the axle opening is just shy of 3". Look like what you have pictured.
    Have to look close at your buying, people are always describing spindles as something they're not. Don't know if they are misinformed or scamming.

12. I'll bet thats exactly what I have. Your measurements are just what these are......looks like I need some spindles....EEEERRRRRRRR

13. bolsa boy

bolsa boy

spindle 2.jpg

spindle 1.jpg So if I understand this correctly. Ford didn't make early spindles with removable steering arms. So what do I have? Square back with removable steering arms. I'll try and post pictures

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  14. that's exactly what you have. someone removed the original steering arms and used bolt on ones.

15. Zombie Plymouth

Zombie Plymouth

Those look like Lincoln to me. i found out mine are 47 Lincoln. there are some pics of mine in this thread. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617162

16. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Spindles are cable brake Lincoln, boat anchors, have plenty of used 37-48 car spindles if you need some.

17. Zombie Plymouth

Zombie Plymouth

Dick, would you by any chance happen to have bushings for 47 lincoln spindles?

18. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I have an older chrome set of 41-48--didn't work with my set-up and had to swap for ones with dropped arms. pm if interested.