Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Pontiac StarChief... What can I do to it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mar, Apr 12, 2012.

1. mar

mar
    from OH

Hello all. First time caller, first time listener.:)

I was fortunate enough to receive my Grandpa's 1955 Pontiac StarChief since my mom, aunts and uncles didn't want it after he had passed (RIP) And I didn't want his vehicle to go to some yard or whatever. Here is the baseline on it. The vehicle is all original, immaculate inside and the regular weather/being old wear on the paint. There is a ticking noise when the engine is running, but otherwise the car starts just about right up when the key is turned.

Now.. what kind of mods can I do to the car, without permanent changes? Is there a specific tranny/engine/driveline combo that works well in the vehicle without doing permanent changes? Since its run leaded fuel its entire life I was thinking if I were to drop in a newer engine that I would have to pull the fuel system and replace or scrub it out. Would that be true?

I just pretty much envision a driver, something that I can trust to take to car shows in OH, IN, KY and PA and not worry about it breaking down on the road there. The only other mods I was contemplating was a new(er) exhaust system, larger rims/wider tires. Thanks for any info, Ive spent about a year or so trying to find info on this vehicle, and mods/aftermarket parts available and it seems its not very popular, so pickings are slim.

I just like to daydream about cruising to a car show in Grandpa's car with a bunch of horses on tap up front. Help me make it happen! :)

thanks!

2. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Sounds way cool, especially as it was your Gramps !!
    Others will chime in I am sure, but lowering, and wheels are a very inexpensive immediate change that will not affect the originality of the car if done properly...
    We need pictures !!
    And welcome to this great forum too !!
    Cheers....

3. A '59 or '60 389 is a direct bolt in and will give you over 100 extra cu in to what you have and look the same. From there, stroker kits are avail for the 389 out to about 460". if you want more, you can add 4bbl, 3-2s or 2 -4s.
    by this point though, you will probably need upgrades on cooling system and either be easy on the trans or up grade that as well. The sky is the limit.

4. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Ponchos are freekin' great. While there is a lot les aftermarket support for them than, say a tri-five chevy, they get extra cool points for their gobs of chrome, big engines, and the fact that you wont see thirteen of them at the local cruise-night.

I'd say just get some steelies with wide-whites. replace the springs to get a nice low stance (keep the originals so you can go back to stock if you ever want to), get it running just the way it was intended to, and enjoy it as is. Don't worry about the leaded-gas stuff, you can run a bottle of lead-substitute per fill-up or go to a more modern engine as you stated before. I'd stay all Pontiac it it were mine and shy away from anything small-block-chevy.

Also note that a lot of parts on this car are shared by other GM models of the same era; Chevy, Olds, maybe even Buick.

Keep it clean, keep it classy, and stay away from all the extra 'garnish' that can clutter an otherwise stellar car and you'll do OK.

5. mar

mar
    from OH

ha I knew someone here would have a good gem like that. Thanks for the info. I was pretty much of the idea that the trans/rear end would have to be swapped out because of the increase of power no matter what I did.

Are those engines easily found? Is that the B or RB Chrysler ? Sorry I am all about IT stuff, but not so much about cars/engines heh. Also would the current stock trans be able to handle the 383?

Thanks HDonlyBob. Sure thing.. I will have to look all my pics are at home at the moment. And yes.. I forgot to add the lowering to the list. thanks.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  6. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

How about an oil change, tune up, check the brakes/repack the bearings and just start driving it to the shows you would like to attend? It's hard to improve on any of the tri-fives! I'd put in 4-5 gallons of leaded race gas every other fuel up and try to only use qaulity alcohol free premium!

7. wvenfield

wvenfield

Are you going racing? If not leave the 287. It will run fine on todays gas. Your car does not have motor mounts like the vast majority of drivetrains you'll find today. Can you fab up new mounts?

You have mounts on the tranny and a front one in the middle. Change the oil and if need be, find someone that can check your pushrods and lifters. I'd bet that your ticking sound is there. (minor adjustment/fix)

At some point find a tri-power set up. There are also dual 4 barrel intakes available. (though generally pretty pricey)

8. You mention that you are contemplating new(er) exhaust, larger wheels and wider tires. While upgrading your exhaust to dual would be a good start the addition of large wheels (are you talking 18's/20's?) and wide tires would, in my opinion, look like shit!
    Like the tri-five Chevys and Olds, tri-five Pontiac's don't need a lot of modifications. Sometimes less is more. As mentioned, some of the other tri five custom accessories will interchange.
    Lastly, try the search button and/or google '55 Pontiacs. Keep it traditional and have fun...

Here's a picture of a friends stock Pontiac, looks pretty damn good just the way it is...

Attached Files:

9. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

stock cooling will work with a mid engine build,one of mine had a built 421 {a transmission killer} & never had ounce of problem with cooling,me i would leave it stock & drive the wheels off it--low & slow,i've owned more than a few 55's.
    glad you decided to keep it in the family! i'm building my car which belonged to my grandmother who passed in 1959.i got it from my grandpa who passed 2yrs ago.

10. 389 is a Pontiac engine.

11. mar

mar
    from OH

Ha see.. reading comprehension fail on my part. Thanks.

Thanks for all the input. I dunno if its much of a difference but it is the 4 door. I guess I just would like some more horsepower, with the car being so large and the stock specs on the 287 being kinda enemic and loving the sounds of old V8's I just felt like it needed more.

12. easily found? not as easy as some others but, do not let that stop you. Like a lot of things, it is knowing the right people in the Pontiac hobby. I have several hundred Pontiacs, most of them parts cars. Others have the parts too. It is just a matter of 'getting in the loop' there is also a Pontiac group here on the hamb. Chryslers are a different manufacturer. Pontiacs were a division of General Motors. There is no interchange between Chrysler and General Motors parts. a 383 is a Chrysler engine.

If your car is original, it would have a 287 v8. Other Pontiac engines that are a direct bolt in are- '56 316, '57 347, '58 370. Plus the mentioned '59-60 389s.
    Hope this helps you.
    Steve

13. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

kwoodyh is on the right track.

Keep the car running every summer and never let it be off the road as you could lose interest.

In the winter time, work towards rebuilding the stock components. These cars are roadworthy just the way they are. Change all the fluids and concentrate on making sure that the bearings, brakes, tires and suspension are in good stock condition or rebuilt as necessary and just drive the car.

The tick might come out if you drive it some, or it might need dealt with, but it could likely be just a simply upper engine issue that a shop could take care of for you.

14. mar

mar
    from OH

nice. thanks. Yeah I somehow read 3 instead of 9 on your first post. Yes it has the 287 V8.

I was looking at joining the Pontiac-Oakland club, as the car has the sticker on the window and I figure that my Grandpa was also a member at some point.

15. Nothing wrong with a more door! As stated, change fluids, make sure brakes/tires are o.k. and get her tuned up. Dual exhaust, lowered a couple inches all the way around and some custom hubcaps/wheels will make a dramatic change in appearance...

Attached Files:

16. nutajunka

nutajunka

You might think about going to a mild custom look. With a larger engine you won't be passing very many gas stations. Just a thought.

17. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Beautiful cars. Good taste and restraint are key with these.

Heres an idea of what you could/should do with it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is something you absolutley should NOT do to such an amzing car.
    [​IMG]

18. Leave the body stock, lower it, update the braking system, put a nice set of wheels on it, drop a nice bullet under the hood.

19. 390kid

390kid

lower it and drive it. you dont know how lucky you are to have an original survivor. after you drive it for a while and get a feel for old iron find another car to customize.

20. Oh yeah, and KEEP ALL THE ORIGINAL PARTS!!!

21. Rebracer

Rebracer

Why is it that evertime someone reveals an original stock vehicle, everyone immediatly tells them to lower it. Every car does not need to be lowered imo, he may want to keep it stock height. These larger cars look like slugs when they are lowered. If it is a true custom he is going for then this would be appropriate advice, but I dont think thats what he is asking.

22. If you say so.

[​IMG]

23. Rebracer

Rebracer

^^^

I wouldnt consider your car significantly lowered, there is nothing wrong with your stance at all, it looks great. Honestly, I propably wouldnt have noticed it was lowered at all at first glance. Generally when somone on here says "lowered" they mean 1 to 2 inches off the ground. When a car like a tri 5 is that low, they are out of porportion and look like a slug.

24. mar

mar
    from OH

wow that is gorgeous 1stGrumpy.

OK so I see that the majority consensus is to just tune, check and get the engine tick fixed, brake service a Dual exhaust and lowering. What are the thoughts on lowering, put the front a tad lower to give it a different stance? I am not too crazy about height of the off-blue car shown in the pictures.. I feel i would be rubbing the frame and undercarriage all the time. OH has some smooth freeways, but not so much city/town roads :)

Last few questions. The paint on the 1955's is that lacquer based or PPG paint? From another guy who restores other older vehicles he told me you can not paint modern PPG over lacquer paint, as it starts to peel, rise under the PPG and make it have to be done again, so if I were to get it repainted the entire body would have to have the paint removed. Now I am not up on things like this so I may be completely wrong in terms, but is that true? I also took at look at the Wikipedia article relating to the 55 star chief and noticed that with the 287cu v8 with a 2 bbl carb its 180 hp, but with a 4bbl its 200 hp. To go to a 4bbl, is it just as straight as replacing the manifold and carb or is there more too it?

It looks like I will need to continue to buy the GUNK lead additive since there doesn't seem to be leaded race gas available in the dayton area, or non-ethanol gas. To be clear.. how much should I add of the lead additive? I found an empty bottle in the car, with 1 1/2 marked on the side by my grandpa, but I am not as up on knowledge that he was so I am not sure.. The bottle says to use the whole thing per tank.. but at 12 bucks a pop.. its kinda expensive.

25. The slammed thing has its place if done right on the right car, in my opinion. It works best on the Chevys though, since they "look" the smallest.

I feel the best thing to do in this case is since it was your Grandfather's car, maybe do something period correct. How would he have done it when he was your age? What would he approve of and disapprove of? Or was your Grandfather the type of man that would want you to make it yours? It's one thing to get a car from a random stranger, it's another to have a car that's been in the family for a long time. Whatever you do, weigh it carefully.
    You're asking for advice on the HAMB, so I assume it's safe from circus wheels and neon underlighting, lol. :D

Edit: About the leaded fuel, it's really not a big procedure to install the hardened valve seats. In the end, you're better off having done them than relying on finding and using the additive. Just my opinion, though.

26. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Is it a Hardtop or a Sedan ? Either way it's cool. But, if it's a hardtop you'll want to make sure the weather stripping & windows fit tight so that rain/moisture won't get in. New weather stripping wouldn't hurt...no matter what.

Just about any Pontiac engine will fit right in there. They never made a Big Block Pontiac engine. They just changed the heads, bore/stroke, etc.

So you can keep it all Poncho, no matter what cubes you want, and still run like a scalded cat !!

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

27. 'Mo

'Mo

(Edit: Wow! I'm a slow typer. A lot has been added since I started this post! Anyway...)

First, lots of research. Google is your friend.

Work with what you have. Parts chasing small things like fittings, seals, bushings, even nuts, bolts and washers have a way of mounting up costs and time involved.

If the car has been sitting, check the brakes. Wheel cylinders often stick, and may need rebuilding. Check brake and fuel lines for rust pitting. They often rust through from the inside. Gas tank may need flushing. Radiator too. It may also be time for an oil/filter change.

Try a little Marvel Mystery Oil poured directly in the carb with the engine running. When the smoke clears, the engine tick may be gone. (Don't worry if the engine stalls out. Come back tomorrow and try again.)

Spray all rusty threads with PB Blaster to make life easier.

Lead in gas is a natural lubricant. This is one reason they went to hardened valve seats for unleaded gas.

Dual exhausts and free flow mufflers will transform the sound and feel of your car. Factory four barrel manifolds were available.. Again, check Google for suitability. (If you have power steering it may be a factor.) And learn to search E-Bay for newly listed items you want.

Factory air cleaners are usually designed to filter noise as much as air. An open element air cleaner would be an inexpensive change.

Good Luck!

28. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

ya gotta post pictures, which model star chief is it! the '55 Pontiac is one of my faves, probably because I used to own one, had the original 287 and hydramatic, keep it original unless it needs a lot of work, these make nice boulevard cruisers and are usually 2-tone, use wide whites, and get the illuminating hood ornament.. either way you go will still make for a very nice ride!

29. Rebracer... Everyone is not suggesting that he lay his chassis on the ground! Re-read the post's and you will see that I was suggesting 2 or 3 inches. While the car in your avatar looks o.k. with that stance, I would not suggest anyone with the heavier Oldsmobile or Pontiac go that route. And as alway's, this is my opinion...

30. flypa38

flypa38

Man! Lots of things you can do! I have a '56 Star Chief that I drive every day!
    Not sure if it bolts right in, but the 4bbl would be a nice bit of pep! Shouldn't be much to swap that over. I'll be selling an aftermarket intake with 3 two barrels before long (when I figure out a price) and that will fit your car but would be a decent amount of work. Let me know if you're interested!
    A modern stereo head unit fits nicely in the glovebox with lots of room to spare. The area just ahead of the rear window has good holes for speakers already there too so that's a good start.
    Careful going too wide on tires! My car is lowered 2" in the rear and I have to deflate my rear tires to remove them! These tires are not that wide at all either.
    Regarding the dual exhaust, it may cause you some trouble. Some came from the factory with duals and required an elbow on the driver's side exhaust manifold. I think the crossmember on the frame might be a little different on the dual exhaust cars too though if I recall.....something about where the pipes go through. I could be totally wrong on that one though.
    Do you have power steering or power brakes? I have the old original manual brakes with drums all around and it stops just fine since I spent the money on a new master cylinder! Non-power steering is fine on the highway and while moving but can be a bear in a parking lot! Upgrades to both of these options are pretty in depth.
    Fender skirts are a nice addition and easy to do. Do you have the generator or has it been converted to alternator? Which transmission do you have?
    Contrary to popular belief, there isn't a huge amount of stuff that interchanges between Pontiac and the other GM branches. I rarely have trouble finding parts though! There are some specialty places like California Pontiac Restoration, AMES, and Performance Years that sell only Pontiac parts and have tons of stuff.
    Information is your friend too. Join the pontiac1950s yahoo group for sure! Those guys really know their stuff. Also check out pontiacsafari.com for free manuals and lots of other info.
    The more you drive that car the more you'll appreciate and love it!
    Hope this helps!
    Johnny