Register now to get rid of these ads!

taking out torque tube rear end in my panel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Draggin wagon, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Draggin wagon

Draggin wagon

i want to just change it out re-using the leaf springs in my 52 chevy panel.. what perch kit or what have you guys done to do this?? it had 2 inch blocks and i liked the stance with them..

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

This subject has been discussed numerous times here. But the main thing to know is that the spring center bolt on your original springs is 1 1/2" forward to accommodate the pivoting perch used with the torque tube driveline.

Providing the spring pad on the replacement axle is longe enough, you can drill a suitable diameter hole in the pad 1 1/2" forward of the existing center hole and your axle will be in the correct location.

You will need new u-bolts which can be obtained from any commercial spring shop or ordered from various suppliers (Speedway, Summit, Jegs, etc. perhaps there are HAMB alliance vendors with them).

You may need a different lower spring clamping plate. Those that matche the rear end may work.....or you could make them or buy them as indicated above.

Ray

3. Draggin wagon

Draggin wagon

I've done a search with no good answer.. the problem is , is that there is no pad.. that's why I would need to by perched.. I guess its time to fab.. thought someone would have something just for this..

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Do not understand that "there is no pad"......if there isn't....no problem...leaf spring pads are readily available from many sources.......and can be made fairly easily as well.

Ray

5. find a 55-59 TF and swap out the leaves and mounts.