Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pricing advice to sell some parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flypa38, Apr 9, 2012.

1. flypa38

flypa38

I need to sell some parts and have NO idea how to price or where to sell! I'd like to sell it all as one assembly, but would I make more selling individual pieces?
    What I'm selling is an older Offenhauser 3x2 intake for Pontiac (not sure what years, but I bought it to use on a '56) with three model 59 Holley 94's. All rebuilt, center primary, outer two are secondaries. Three louvered chrome air cleaners, progressive linkage, all in really nice shape. Problem is I just don't have a clue what it's worth! The manifold alone varies by hundreds of dollars on Ebay, and I've never seen one for sale with carbs on it.
    Secondly, where is the best place to sell? The marketplace here, Ebay, craigslist? No matter where I sell it, I need to know what a fair price would be......
    Thanks in advance, and please don't mistake this question for an attempt to sell here. Only looking for advice!
    Johnny

2. Beau

Beau

$1000.....obo on CL.

Sell it for a little more than you paid

Figure out a price if you want to sell it here.

Price it high. If nobody bites, you know the price is too high.

Ebay is great for these types of items.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There is no accurate answer to your question........at best, only educated guesses. The old saying "things are worth what you can get for them" is true. And that varies with location, who is looking at the time and a host of other factors. A price range is about the closest you'll get from someone else's opinion, unless they are the actual buyer.

I agree e-bay is a good venue, in spite of the negative comments of many HAMBER'S. E-bay offers huge exposure to potential buyers. But I would also list in at least one other place, if not more.

The funny thing is, the value estimate from the very same person will be quite different depending on if he's buying or selling.

EDIT: I do agree with Porknbeaner's post below about it is possible to price too low and reduce interest of potential buyers.

Ray

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  4. The other variable is priced too low. I have noticed that when pricing if you price something too low it usually gets overlooked just as much as if it is over priced. I think the savvy shopper just gets suspicious.

I would offer it here in the 1000 price range, it seems like 3 duece setups usually run in the 700-1500 price range. Write your add "will not separate"

If you are 1500 in then start there but donot be surprised if someone wants to give you less that what you have invested.

Good luck

5. WornOutOldMan

WornOutOldMan
    from So Cal

I used to sell a lot of items on ebay. But in the last few years it has become a buyer wins all game there. Buyer is unhappy for any reason including buyers remorse? Paypal (as a seller you must accept it) holds your money until it is settled. Also the fees, unless and even if, you are a volume seller, can really add up. You could likely get the most money for your set up on ebay but after fees, ebay, paypal and shipping (ebay gets a piece of shipping too) you won't feel that way. I think you found your audience here. Good luck with the sale.

6. flypa38

flypa38

Pricing too low is my biggest concern. If I could get $1000 out of it I don't wanna be the dummy that lets it got for $200!
    Also thinking of selling this NOS in the box Ansen floor shifter for 55-56 Pontiac and the same thing is keeping me from listing it! I've never seen another one for sale so no idea what to list it for.
    Thanks for the advice fellas!
    Johnny

7. Why not google the parts that you have and see what others are asking for the same stuff?

8. I think I'd try a Pontiac site. Seems like you'd find people "in the know" there.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, that should get you info from several sources.

Personally, on the intake/carb setup I'd pack it to a good swapmeet and put a fairly stiff price on it and see if someone makes a decent offer. 99 guys might walk away snickering about how far out of line the price is but that hundredth guy who is dead set on having that setup on his car will try to work an honest deal with you. But a lot of guys know it's up for sale now so you will probably receive a bunch of PM'd offers before the day is over.

On the shifter, as I remember they weren't the best around when they were new so that may not bring what you want unless you find the lone Anson speed equipment collector who just has to have it for his collection. I could be wrong but those were pretty entry level when they were new right there with Sparkomatic shifters. Here is a link to just the shifter part to watch Ebay Item number: 290695667232

10. titus

titus

pontiac speed equipment isnt usually very expensive, seems to be one of the lower prices stuff out there and one of the least popular, even tho they are neat.

I would say $1000 is the max youd get out of it, id say $800. and thats just becuase its a pontiac, less demand.

jeff

11. carbking

carbking

Johnny - the first thing to do is figure out EXACTLY what your unit will fit by looking at the casting numbers on the intake. This link should help you to do that:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Pontiacmultiplemanifolds.htm

My guess would be that you have either a 5028 or 5161.

As far as pricing is concerned, I cannot give you much help on the aftermarket unit. If it were genuine Pontiac, I could give you some figures. As to where, I would suggest a parts for sale ad on this forum. Some good pictures will help your sale. I, like others that have posted, are not in love with Ebay as a selling forum (buying, YES!).

Good luck with it, and thank you for the other thread you started, it really made my day.

Jon.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  12. No matter what you sell something for there is always that possibilty that you coulda got more .... dont play that head game with yourself ... at a grand you sound fair.

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

First thing you should do is research exactly what years it fits. Pontiac played a lot of games in the 50's and 60's with parts fitting one year and not fitting the next year. For example, a 64 GTO intake will not fit a 66.

There should be a part number stamped on the intake that someone on here can probably look up in an old catalog for you. It makes it worth a lot more money if you can say with certainty that a part fits a certain year range.

Same with the shifter, find out what years it fits first.

Don

14. flypa38

flypa38

Everything I've found on the manifold says '55-60 Pontiac V-8 and prices (manifold only) are all over the place! Casting # is 5028. I couldn't find any complete setups.
    Regarding the Ansen shifter...absolutely no info when searching Google by the part # which is PON5657SEL. Here are some pictures and hopefully I can get a better idea on pricing if you guys can see what the stuff is.....All I know for sure is that it's wrapped in newspaper dated 1963, the shift indicator label and decal are pretty shoddy looking, and some of the hardware is still in bags. The original install instructions are there, and readable, but kinda crappy too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Last Ansen I saw sell was on here. it was an Ansen for a hydro-matic (slant pan) that would be in the year range you stated. It went for 700.00. Ansen parts usually go pretty high. I wish I could lie to you about it, I would like to own an Ansen for my hydromatic, but that is just the way that it is I am afraid.

16. flypa38

flypa38

I thought it was for a Syncro-Mesh, isn't it?

17. I really can't tell you, shift pattern looks like a 3 speed but the single shift arm looks like hydromatic.

It has instructions no doubt. Do they give a clue?

18. olds fan

olds fan

E-gads...shifter is probably worth more than the manifold. It is for the old selector shift 3 speeds. Olds ,Pontiac, Buick used them in the early 50s. Do your homework before you sell that...Id probably E-bey with a high reserve. Good luck.

19. ironhead68

ironhead68

Check PY Online.
    Best place to buy/sell Pontiac parts.

20. Fenders

Fenders

Figure out what you have and what it fits... do not combine an intake with a shifter, sell them separate ... if the complete intake is worth $1000 start it on an ebay auction 1/2 that $499 .. figure proper shipping cost including insurance and your packing, fedex may be best ... it will sell for what it is worth...

21. Here's a set-up I bought almost 4 years ago for a SBC. Complete with air cleaners and progressive link (without the heads of course) Paid $735.00 for it at a swap meet from a guy who puts these together and sells em. That set-up you have looks nice and is much more rare than my SBC so I'd say $1000.00 to $1200.00 is about right. The HAMB Classifieds is the place to sell that. No hassle, no worries.

Attached Files:

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you must remember that every sale on ebay is a roll of the dice. an evil buyer can get whatever they want for free, and ebay and paypal will help them and stick it to the seller. they have no problem doing this , it happens every day.

if they are overseas it is even easier.

you have researched prices and "they are all over the place". I like to sell things at the highest price, so that's where I would start.

even here I would not take paypal. postal money order or cash in person only.

23. titus

titus

That ansen shifter is for one of the selector shaft type trannys, but it looks like it might be missing a few parts.

JEFF

24. flypa38

flypa38

Any chance you know what's missing? Been searching Google and haven' t found much info yet.

25. titus

titus

There was a post about the selector shaft shifters here on the hamb, ill see if i can find it and add a link here, you might be able to look at some of the pics and see whats there and what not, i think just maybe one linkage rod might be missing but im not sure. with out directions who knows!

On a side note, i bought 4 nos ansen posi-shift 3 speed shifter at the wichita sunflower swap a couple months ago.

jeff

26. titus

titus