Register now to get rid of these ads!

For those who needs a roof skin for model A sedan...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clockwork31, Apr 10, 2012.

1. speed-kings

speed-kings

Looks good. I cut one off a jeep a few years ago. Its sitting aginst the wall in the garage waiting. I was even thinking of putting louvers between the ribs. Just try to visualize what it would look like.

2. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Let me start by saying I like the car so far and it looks like you know what your doing!

Now I'll tell you I kinda agree with the old guys, the square ribs look kinda off to me. I could care less if it came from a 60s ford, a 90s jeep or if Boyd made it for you, of it looks weird it looks weird.

3. cederholm

cederholm

Yeah - what Rex said!:D

4. Leckemby

Leckemby

a few more posts and I will earn my W.O.R.A. badge!

5. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I think that a filled roof is great, but a filled insert has always looked right imho.

-Kirk

I just want to say that the last pic was taken by a fellow hamber.

Attached Files:

6. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

OOHHH NO!! THE LINE IS DRAAWWN..

who are you for that to matter in any way shape or form to make that
    matter to ANYONE but yourself?

7. grazy

grazy

We used the roof skin from a smaller LTDII wgn turned back wards crown matched no ribs on a 29 sedan . We used an 80s Cutlass on Model A coupe. If I had $120,000 to build my cars would be 100% H.A.M.B. friendly. If all our tastes was the same our cars would become cookie cutter and this place would bore me. If my car did'nt piss somebody off if would'nt be a Hot Rod.

8. crapshoot

crapshoot

you would have loved the H.A.M.B back in the early days, i know i miss it. nothing but traditional rods and customs, anything else and everybody was on them like flys on shit. those were the days

to the OP traditional or not, way to think out side of the box. the roof looks good you got my thumbs up (not that it means shit)

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A friend of mine just got a 3/4 finished but drivable T coupe and the roof is an Edsel hood. It looks great! Sorry I don't have pix. Just saying... Gary

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  10. Great looking roof

11. harmless

harmless

Looks great, thanks for posting the interior pictures as well.

12. I detect a theme here. The old timers seem patently against it while the noobs mostly say go for it. And ya'll wonder why kids aren't gettin into "real" hotrods... Came out of a junkyard, re=purposed for his needs. THAT is as traditional as it gets folks.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Agreed, maybe he shoulda said the roof was of a '56 something station wagon to appease the seniors. Three options, 50's wagons-hard/impossible to find, repops- cost as much as a car, Cherokee ribbed roof-plentiful, cheap, strong, fits without too much fabrication. When I was a kid, I'm 69, we had to do things cheaply and there were no newer than fifties parts around. Now days those are few and far between.

13. 26 roadster

26 roadster

why is it always old timers? I like it fine. I guess you have to look down on some one.

14. I like the Jeep roof! Flame on me if you want, but I'm wondering how the stainless strips would look on the sedan?

15. banginona40

banginona40

Wow, the neighbor has one sitting in the weeds waiting to take to the salvage yard. Maybe I better go get the roof first. Looks Good. Use what you have.

16. Liking this thread, just about when its ready to die someone stirs the pot, well done Mike.

17. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

I think all of the purists should get together, purchase a more tradtional

filler for the OP, go to his shop, and install it free of charge, just so

they can make themselves feel better :rolleyes: ;) :D But, WTF do I know :p

And the OP made $50.00 on the deal. Kudo's

18. I think it is great. To me it is all about the fact that you just went for it and did the job right.

Now, it is "Ribbed, for your pleasure".

19. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

[​IMG]

Manute Bol is on the HAMB?

20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Nice pick and super good looking red car too.
    I like the rib roof also.

21. clockwork31

clockwork31

hahaha, good one, thanks for all the positive comments and for the rest, well, thanks for your opinion it means a lot to me... :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

22. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I like the inserts but they are way pricey if I remember.
    I used an old Mercury wagon top turned around backwards but it was not of the pre 64 variety.
    I caught some shit online for some of the things I have done to my sedan but in person everyone likes it or at least they say they do !!
    Either way it doesn't matter what they think its mine and I like it.

23. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Finished up nice.
    Your definately a better welder than me.

24. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I like the roof - looks like several hundred dollars in custom fab work to me.
    Add the roof rack if you really want to piss off some of the "traditionalist" :)

25. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

gotta say I like it.. I think it looks better than a plain skin haha very cool..

26. The_Monster

The_Monster

Its rad! Thinkin outta the box!

27. Looks bloody great, im a fan of ribs in the inserts they add to the looks and give you alot more strength. Ive got a very rare 1963 ap6 Valiant (australian model) 10 rib roof for my A tudor. By the way the car looks awsome keep up the good work.

28. deadbeat

deadbeat

wow wouldnt have thought this would have gone on for so long,but anyways I like it.Im building a 30 Tudor atm but im going to use the old "rag & stick".I really dig the way your car sits,neat car

29. 40 years ago, the '57-'58 Ford wagon roof was a good choice because there are plenty of them in the junkyard. Fast forward 40 years, not much chance of finding a '57-'58 Ford wagon to decapitate, but Jeep Cherokees are plentiful in the junkyards, the contours are right, use it. Real hot rodders use readily available Genuine Junkyard Parts. While I could crush a Geo Metro with no remorse whatsoever, my brother-in-law discovered that they have a brake pedal assembly that works well for a lot of things, and he used the Metro pedal assemblys on his '27 T and his '28 A. You look for what works and use it, unless you have lots of money to order billet stuff from the ads in Street Rodder.

30. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Totally cool. Nice job