Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help identifying this Vintage Lakester?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CanepaGirl, Feb 28, 2012.

1. CanepaGirl

CanepaGirl
    from Auburn, CA

We found a few more parts for the Lakester and the Dragster Lakester yesterday

Here is the front end for the lakester...

[​IMG]

And we found the hubs to the dragster. hey are c4 wide 5's

[​IMG]

We also ran into a full set of these, 13", two wide two narrow, Schultz wheel blanks

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. CanepaGirl

CanepaGirl
    from Auburn, CA

Can anyone show me what kind of wheels would go on the front of the Lakester front end?
    I noticed the 3 locating pins and want to be able to go back through the wheel stash and see if we have them.

3. speakfordadead

speakfordadead

According to Fuzzy, the wheels with three pins are fronts and six pins in the back. The Magnussen wheels would work for the front. Not sure if I saw any six pins for the rears.... thinking that the 4C hubs will work as well. They are wide fives and should fit any of the old super modified wheels that we have.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

having auction by A&A Auctions this coming weekend in Santa Cruz for some of your Dad's things?

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  5. CanepaGirl

CanepaGirl
    from Auburn, CA

I would love too, but we both have Mothers Day plans for the weekend.

We are going to put something together for June 2nd or June 9th. Kind of like a yard Sale. I'll have more details together later today and let you guys know.

Bunch more updates on the PBB thread : http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1045486&page=13

Thanks guys!

Bebe

6. Bebe (CanepaGirl) -

Jalopy Joker is refering to an estate auction that is taking place this weekend north of Watsonville ... on Capitola Road in Santa Cruz.

This A & A Auctions "Capitola Road Sale" has quite a bit of similarity to your father's collection (e.g., "old cars", tools, Sprint Car chassis, etc.) ... and it has been discussed here on the H.A.M.B.:

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

8. techteacher

techteacher
    from Tusin

We found the owner of the 353 car. Anyone remember Al Morris Jr.? Was from Sacramento, graduated San Jose State a year after Don Canepa, also with an Industrial Ed. degree. Both taught auto shop. Al had a business named M&M Speed Engineering, built engines for a lot of fast guys including Gary Ormsby and did work on Bill Harrah`s Miss Tahoe allison powered hydroplane. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

9. CanepaGirl

CanepaGirl
    from Auburn, CA

Thanks so much for getting that info from NHRA!!! Tim made contact with NHRA and confirmed Al Morris was the owner of the car - Here is his Obit.

Cool thing is my Boyfriends Boss used to work for Ormsby at his Dealership here in Auburn...small world, hopefully we'll get some more history tomorrow.

Call me crazy - but the car was raced in Detroit the year he was a Vocational Auto Shop Teacher???? Sound Familiar Tim?? LOL

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/Item/27064/obituary_al_morris_founding_member_of_pwa_passes_away.aspx

Confirmed ID from 1959 NHRA Nationals program.

353 car had a 56 Chevy motor, and was owned by Al Morris Jr.

10. Very cool! Saw Teach post this on landracing. Gotta love history and if those kids get a chance to restor a historic racecar..........all the better!

11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

First.Young ladies I am sorry for your loss.Lost my Father in 94 at 98 years of age.Still miss him greatly.Best of luck to you and yours.Fantastic thread.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

12. CanepaGirl

CanepaGirl
    from Auburn, CA

Thank you for the condolences. The excitement now centering around the 353 car is incredible. And we still have the other two cars to go.

I knew that '59 Nationals program was going to be the ticket to discovering the 353 car's history. Now we need to find the 55-57 Speedweek Programs to get some history on the #36 car.

I don't know where to find programs of race series info for the #35 Track Roadster. But we'll get there.

Thanks all for your help and support, this is going to be a wild ride, I can't wait!

13. pumpman

pumpman

Very sorry for your loss, you girls seem to have had a great relationship with your dad. I'm really glad someone bumped this. I missed it and now just sitting here dumbfounded, amazed and so happy to hear you are not going to sell off his collection. What you have is priceless. I have the same addiction your father had and hopefully my sons will carry on like you girls are doing. Welcome to the HAMB! And keep us posted.

14. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Bebe,

I Pm'd you and emailed you as well, but have not heard back from you.

Could you please email me again, as my computer crashed, and I no longer have your email address?
    Thanks in advance

Mark

Inliners International
    12 Port historian.

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Hi Bebe.Just read the thread on pirate from end to end.Fantastic.Towards the end there was a picture of a cast iron vessel that you thought was a mini bbq.I believe that it is a vessel for using with a forge to melt metals for casting because of the verticle arm on the right side of it.
    Leo

16. CanepaGirl

CanepaGirl
    from Auburn, CA

Thanks Leo.

If you read down a bit more you can see that is says mini bbq on the vessel.

17. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek:Hi Bebe.By the time that I got to that point in the thread,my eyeballs were hanging out on my cheek bones.Missed that piece of info.
    Leo

18. What a great read! That 353 car is the business!

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Hi Girls, I found you again. You have enough pictures and information scattered over the Net to write a book on your Pop's stash. When I first got involved on the Inliner site I had no idea that Canepa Twin was a female only that in building a push truck for Pops there seemed to be limitless resources and ability. It didn't occur to me that a woman would be doing that, especially without pointing it out. Just taking care of business. I guess we know what that makes me. :rolleyes: I'm posting this here because I'm not tough enough to do it on the Pirate Board! :eek:
    I hope guys (and gals) here will keep looking for info on the modified roadster,the yellow one, and can come up with some pictures of it in it's racing trim. I'd really like to see that one back together. Beater

20. CanepaGirl

CanepaGirl
    from Auburn, CA

Don't be scared - imagine what it's like being female and the moderator of the Hummer forum :D

Thank you for your passion and research, I'm going to forward the Eddie Miller Streamliner Carb thread to my sister. That was really a great find!!

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I'm a moderator on another board where the folks are so mild they rarely need us. It's OK with me. Funny that the carb info was right here on the HAMB all along. You just gotta' search for the right stuff. I know there is stuff on the yellow car out there.

22. techteacher

techteacher
    from Tusin

Been quite a while since our last post concerning the 353 car (LIL VIP) Long story short. We are going to give this another try. Jackie is on board and we have a whole new cast of characters. Hagerty Education had a summit meeting last week in Mesa AZ. at the EVIT CTE campus. Look it up - it's amazing. It's a feeder school for 10 local high schools and has a welding, machine shop, auto,diesel,collision repair, culinary and soon to be - we hope - a restoration program! Jackie has graciously given us permission to build the car as soon as we get this program off the ground. It will take some time but we hope to have plans in place this summer. We already have an advisory panel and yours truly has thrown his hat in the ring to instruct. But we need help! We still haven't been able to find vintage pic's, stories, any info that will help us on the car. The machinery part isn't a problem - full access to the shops plus the talented students. If anyone can help us find out more about Al Morris JR. and the LIL VIP it would be highly appreciated. It ran 1/4 mile and the salt so there has to be something out there. BTW, if this program happens it won't be just one car - it will be a program to get a resto degree in. Good Stuff
    Techteacher

23. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

They only ran 3 pin hubs on the front to save weight with 6 hole wheels. Frank

24. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

I just stumbled on this thread, WoW! There are a lot of links, (human and non) what a great story ! I'll be interested to see what transpires...

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi CanepaGirl belated condolences to you and your family on your loss...and a thank you for sharing the history with pics to support. I will keep my eyes open for related material. Beautiful historical elements of our past. This stuff like so much here adds to the virtual museum here...and quite a large number of these past relics get the dust off in restoration or otherwise. I am hoping you may see one of these through and perhaps experience what your Dad loved so much about the sport...;) Thread is new to me like so many but never to late...Great stuff...

Last edited: May 25, 2016