Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 32 Ford coupe... VS woman with cell phone

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Standard32, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Muttley

Muttley

In addition to the insurance fixing the car there really needs to be something along the lines of an "Immediate Satisfaction Law".............you smash my car doing something idiotic (like yammering away on your cell phone while you should be paying attention to the road) and I'm entitled to one free swing (bat, golf club, tire iron or similar weapon(s) allowed depending on the severity of damage) without repercussion.

2. The_Monster

The_Monster

dude, did the insurance guy come look at your car today? what did he say?

3. 46mercury

46mercury
    from livonia MI

Not to mention those of us who fly airplanes while reading charts and operating all the navigation equipment and never have a problem.

I don't blame cellphone use. Some people just suck at driving. My kids never drove without me until they met MY standards for driving skill. First slip up was a month with no car. There was never a second slip up.

I got hit by a red light runner long before phones were popular. There'll always be something to blame for bad driving. Next it'll be nose picking.

4. Michael_e

Michael_e

I agree with everyone, There are a lot of stupid people driving cars/trucks and using cell phones. I've been very lucky and not been clobbered yet.

I was thinking that there is MADD, Mothers Against Drunk Driving, Why can't there be some national group against cell phone driving? How many lives have to be lost to get something changed, or, which senator's son or daughter has to loose there life?

I wish I knew more about electronics to create some device which could render all cell phones inop for a mile radius around me. But the problem with that would be that those users would then be just staring down at a dead device and still crash into someone. Maybe like others have said, something that will not allow the vehicle to start if a operating cell phone is within 10 feet.

5. I'm convinced the human race is too stupid to survive. I see this shit all the time, people texting while driving, or have the phone glued to their head while driving. I have a radio with bluetooth in my DD, and if I'm in my 55, it can wait.
    My FIRST brand new car got totaled by a teenage girl yakking on her cellphone. I still have the knot on my head and my wife still can't extend her arm all the way. We should have sued her tits off, but I didn't want to be that guy. Our medical got paid, I got a replacement new car, I was OK with that.

6. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Seeing what I see from inside a big truck, just scares the shit out of me, there is a huge percentage of the driving public that doesn't belong driving, how some of these people get out of the garage or drive way amazes me, they stop in the middle of the road with no concern of any other traffic, they don't pull off all the way on the shoulder, they cut you off, don't pay any attention when they are getting on a freeway, the list just goes on and on, and your right just add a cell phone to the mix and its all over the brain goes to mush.
    I hope that all there was is a bent fender but we can't see it all from a picture, make sure everything gets checked out.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yes...cell phones and drunkenness are just the visible or provable end of the stupidity spectrum. People can ignore driving without props entirely or with old tech...I have seen people driving in heavy traffic reading a newspaper spread on the steering wheel!
    An underlying problem is that many see driving as nothing, just bothersome sitting there while waiting to arrive. Such a driver is really more a passenger...really scary thought.
    How about an automated cell phone wired into your brakelight and horn circuits that will text "STOP!!!" to everyone within 100 feet?

8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And the car manufacturers are trying to accommodate these idiots by making the car "smart". Alarms going off when you do stupid stuff, automatic braking if you get too close to a car in front of you, etc. I am of the mind that a car should be made more hard to drive, so that it forces people to pay attention to driving and not give them any time to do the recreational stuff.

9. This.
    Make something idiot-proof, they invent a better idiot.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I just got out of a 2012 rentacar...All radio functions require working from a little bitty display screen in the center of the dash. I don't think there is realistic hope of learning the functions well enough to reach over blind and push something even without the sattelite radio functions it has...blasted thing should be in the backseat operated by the flight engineer. Just changing from AM to FM would likely be fatal if done by the driver.
    There is also a multiplicity of functions operated by mystery buttons on the rearview mirror...I'm afraid to go there. Things operated from a computer screen are inherently an INSANE idea for driver use, IMHO.
    This is a fairly cheap car...I see TV ads for big screens on Lincolns that look like they need multiple full time operators.

11. Muttley

Muttley

It should definitely be much harder to get your driver's license.

12. Keep

Keep

Sucks what happened to your car. Would piss me off to no end.

Up here its illegal to use a "Hand held" device while driving, that includes sitting at stop lights. $155 fine. But the insurance companies have jumped on the wagon, if you get hit with the "distracted driving" ticket, your rates will go through the roof.

Still hasn't slowed folks down, now they just hold them in their lap thinking no one will notice....idiots.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Digging up an old thread, but here goes. Yesterday, I'm cruising down Washington Ave. here in Houston, 93 degrees and using 35 MPH as an air conditioner. I'm in the left lane of a 2 lane going east. As I approach a stop, there's a truck in the right lane and I guess he suddenly remembered he needed to make a left. So, he swerves into my lane. Thing is, I was next to him. I swerve into a lane, that usually has oncoming traffic, to avoid getting side swiped. As I recover, I look up and the asshole has gotten back into the right lane and is sitting at the light.

So, I roll up next to him and lo and behold, he's not on a cell phone, he's wearing a full on radio headset! The kind you use with a home stereo! And he's rocking his head without a care in the world. I start yelling to get his attention and he finally notices me. I yell, asking him what the hell he's doing. He's still looking like he's clueless. I tell him he almost hit me. His response, 'What's the fucking problem? Don't you have insurance.":mad:

So, I yell that he needs to pull his head out of his ass and I flip him the world wide hand signal for "you're number one", and take off as the light changed. How do these types of assholes go through life without getting a deadly ass whipping?:confused:

Sometimes, I wish my car was an 18 wheeler, I'd probably be in jail, but rationing out some trucker justice would be worth it.

So, yea, be careful out there. The hell with zombies, distracted drivers will kill us all.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

14. We get 2 demerits and a 300.00 fine for fumbling with cell phones here. As far as i'm concerned it should be stiffer.

15. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Tfeverfred. You should have said yes but do you have health insurance. And why would it be a problem if you hit them if they have insurance? Im my daily driver that is already a salvage title and since i have great connections to body shops. I let people hit me or i just dont hit the breaks. i wont rear end someone but i wont swerve out of the way or slam on my brakes to avoid a broadside. I just let them change lanes into me. Its been quite the money maker really. The last one I was doing 75 in a curve over a bridge and this women tried to pass me in the shoulder and then when the shoulder choked down instead of giving her room i held my ground and my tire tore up the side of her car and made her late to her bank job. She tried to tell the cops it was my fault. Unbelievable, i couldnt get paid though because i had no damage. I know im a dick but im sick of all the stupid ignorant drivers and its the only recourse that doesnt get me in trouble.

16. 21stud

21stud
    from California

Well . It looks like you are ok. That's important.
    We have enough laws on the books. This cell phone use and texting while driving is terrible in CA. The fine is very low , I think about $ 25.00 but with the fees its over $ 150.00.
    The biggest problem in the US is that we have plenty of laws but they are not enforced enough. I know its tough but I rather see this driver pulled and DD's than a BS 5-10mph over the speed limit .

17. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, I'm trying to NOT get hit. I'm in a 'glass T Bucket. I've been hit before, I'd rather not do it again. Wouldn't your insurance begin to wonder why they have you as a policy holder?

19. Fenders

Fenders

He didn't say he collected on his own insurance, in fact he may not even have collision coverage... someone hits me, my insurance co. don't care, I don't have collision, I will collect from the Ahole that hit me.

20. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I do this in my toyota not an old car. But i only dont back down when im not going to be at fault. Other people dont car and fail to have any accountability so why should i do them a favor.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Guess I read it wrong. I wasn't aware a specialty car insurer would write a non collision policy. But then, not everyone has specialty car insurance.

With my luck, the cop would side with the asshole and I'd be shit out of luck.

22. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Yep. Other people dont care about my truck or my safety so why should i care about theirs? I know its fucked up and im jepordizing my humanity but ive lost hope for mankind. I do swerve if i think ill get hurt or i got my dog with me.

23. jhaas63

jhaas63

Thats not going to stop idiots from driving...alot dont have a license now.

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I can actually relate when it comes to an OT daily. I just bought one a few weeks ago for rainy days and getting groceries. But in my hot rod, I'm trying to avoid being hit. Maybe if I was in something bigger than a T Bucket, I'd drive a little more care free.

25. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

i never drive an old car care free. i dont want them damaged at all

26. Gman0046

Gman0046

Back in the middle of March an Asshat went through a light that had been red for minutes on a four lane major highway and totaled my wifes Lexus GX470. After the accident our Labrador Retriever ran away and was dodging traffic. I had to run her down despite hardly being able to breath. My wife and I both went by ambulance to the hospital. The Douche that hit us was cited by the State Police for running the light. I would bet any amount of money he was either on the phone or texting.

27. This crap happens every single day,,and the bad thing about it is even the cops are driving and texting.

There has been a campaign on television against drinking and driving along with texting and driving,,it's a shame when the people that should be on top of this epidemic are part of the problem. HRP

28. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

up here its a couple hundred fine if you are seen by a cop using your cellphone eating etc by a cop and now they are talking the possibility of demerits on your license for distracted driving. about time.

29. jmpowie

jmpowie

As long as cell phone companys have lobbyist to pay off Congress the laws will never change. All phones have GPS if the phone is moving it should not work, very easy problem to solve.

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Kinda screws a passenger that might want to use a phone. The thing that gets me is the audacity some of these ass hats have. When I honk or yell at an ass hat driving distracted, they usually look at me like I'm the one doing something stupid. Like, how dare I ruin their conversation?

Something has got to be done, but it's not going to be easy.