Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP: starter motor keeps cranking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BlackFlag, Jul 9, 2005.

1. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

I just got my car to fire up after some work, and when it did the starter motor kept on cranking. Im thinking that its a problem with the starter relay, but Im not completely sure so if you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Heres the vehicle incase you need it.
    1959 galaxie
    352 engine
    Cruise-o-matic

2. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

ANybody? Porfavor senores?

3. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

Hey, I agree with yiou, it's most likely the starter solenoid that sticks. To eliminate the ignition circuit, unplug the S wire at the sloenoid and touch a hot wire to the solenoid to crank it. Good luck. AL

4. noboD

noboD

BTT. Do you mean the starter runs after the engine is running? Sounds like selenoid{sp} is sticking or starter is shimmed too close to block and gear is sticking in flywheel. Ford experts??

5. RoadKat

RoadKat

With a partially discharged battery aand a relay that is arc burnt, the relay can stay engaged because it is partially welded in place. I have seen that happen a lot with cars that are hard to start[ long cranking times] Replace the relay first and make sure the batt is fully charged.

6. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

thanks guys, looks like im gonna go out and get a new one. I dont think its the starter being too close because i havent adjusted that and it ran before i did the work.

7. Sean i had the same problem, but i even replaced the relay check for shorts on the + battery cable and double check the 3 or 4 wires that run to the ignition switch.

8. Machinos

Machinos

Did you mess with the ignition switch at all? When I replaced that on my RV I got some wires mixed up, and it'd crank all the time when it was running.

9. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

No, I think what happened is that my positive battery cable shorted and it essentially welded the switch open. Ive replaced the battery cables since then, so now all thats left is getting a new switch.

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

It is almost definitely the starter relay. Be sure your cables are in good condition & battery charged. Don't crank it for very long if it doesn't want to start either.

11. RoadKat got it. That is the most common cause for a starter to stay engaged.-MIKE;)