Register now to get rid of these ads!

Your cheapest project car... $100 or less

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wildcycles, Apr 29, 2011.

1. airmentbob

airmentbob
    from san diego

nothing i have bought for my 55 has been less than 100 bucks it seems like. used frame 300 bucks...oh, yeah, now i remember i once only put 60 bucks into the gas tank to go cruising to L.A. from san diego. that was when i had 2.73's and a 350 5 speed...60 bucks gets me to school and back 4 times...454 and a lead foot doesn't help. 100 bucks or less...lol, not in my times...born in the late 70's. now a days it should be something you bought for less than a thousand...if i was born in the 50's then i would have some stories about cheap cars...cuz everything now seems crazy expensive...even the junkyards...

2. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

I had a '53 Chevy truck that a buddy gave me. I got as far as swapping the frame, put in a dropped axle and Camaro rear end and set up a SBC then sold it.

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Free.... I put my wheels/tires on it after I got it. :D

[​IMG]

4. rcoffey

rcoffey

my 62 fairlane was free still working

Attached Files:

5. angelbaby65

angelbaby65

im 22 and so far ive gotten a 49 chrysler windsor for 25$ and a case of beer and 2 66 and 1 65 cadillac coupe de villes and i got a 54 bel air from an old man that was in complete horrible shape and trade it for a running 69 lemans!

6. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

scan0003.jpg My 64 Corvette back in 73 or 74. I actually got it for free, but my Father bought it for $65.00, firewall back, no interior, no motor or trans,otherwise all there I put a tilt nose on it and flaired wells.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  7. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

I bought the truck in my avatar for 100 bucks in '08. It also came with a '61 short box 2WD that ran and drove after some fresh gas and a battery. I sold it to a buddy who was dying for a short box pickup for $100 and he did nothing to it except lower it and drive it.

Meanwhile back at the shop with my now free truck, I hit the scrap pile and the parts shelves (I used parts that were pulled outta other projects when they got re-done) to source everything I needed to put it together and get it running. Only spent about $165 total to have a 44,000 actual mile, original paint, back halved, air ride daily driven shop truck.

8. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

My current (and past) project, a '57 Chevy pickup, is one I've owned for 30+ years. Bought it for $50. :cool:

9. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

last week, I got an old vw dune buggy (year unknown) from a good friend of mine for free. He gave me the dune buggy, two engines, two seats (but another friend is going to give me two summit racing seats) and he gave me 4 brand new tires (still has the nipples on it).

10. 343w

343w

I got a 53 chevy from a buddy in high school for $5, his Dad told him to get it out of the driveway! The old chevy ran good too, my dad pushed it into the woods while I was in the Army in 1965. My nephew hauled it to the scrap yard last summer.

11. Shoprag

Shoprag

1954 four door merc, free! Then scored a free 302, that you can still see the cross hatching in the cylinder walls.

12. cl350rr

cl350rr

My current project truck 66 Econoline pickup I got from a neighbor's back yard for $100

13. A family friend gave me this 36 ford cabriolet ,pics on my page.

14. Zandoz

Zandoz

I got a 63 Buick Skylark convertible at auction for $20 because it wouldn't run. All it needed was a new starter motor. I drove it for several years before trading it.

I've had several cars given to me over the years, but most of them ended up being parts cars. Two of them made the grade as viable vehicles.

The first was a 64 Renault R8 that had sat for several years as dry storage for bags of concrete. I got it free, put a new brake master cylinder, a used battery, and some tires I had laying around...away it went.

The other was a 68 Opel that had a tree branch fall on it. The only damage was the curvature of the roof had been reversed. I popped that back in place before I moved it. I ended up repainting the roof a year or so later, then selling it to a neighbor who fell in love with the car and kept it for years.

15. russ1403

russ1403

phone 033.jpg my 1950 chevy wagon..in pieces but mostly complete back in 1995 for free,,but i bought the guy four 24 packs of mgd,,so all in all 60 bucks,,and towed it home with a rope standing on the frame rails holding the brake lever and steering box by hand because the front clip and steering column etc was off the car at the time i got it. been sitting on it for years and slowly "working" on it,,gathereing parts etc.

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

Traded a tailgate for a 50 Dodge pick up for the complete 48 Chevy 4 door that became this got the gate from a junker in the woods that a friend had...

[​IMG]

17. I've bought tons of $100 or less cars over ther years. I'm not listing the ones I bought just parts.

'62 Starfire ragtop, $50 and it had a great body, everything else was shit on it. Turned it over for a fast $200.

'64 Ford Country Sedan for $100. I was a college student and EVERYTHING broke on it. Drove the piss out of it and unloaded it for $100.

'64 Sedan de Ville for $60. Neighbor wired up the front of the harness with lamp cord and it went up in smoke. Went to the local boneyard, found what I needed to fix the wiring, cost be a 6-pack of Pepsi. Drove the car all summer and sold it for $200.

'66 Chevy Caprice for $50. It had an encounter with a garbage truck up in The Bronx, ran very well. Fixed it up a bit, drove it for a bit then turned it over for $325.

'67 Cougar for $50, took it as a junker but was desperate for a car. Had it parked and some lady broadsides it, her insurance gave me a quick $650 to settle up.

'69 Fairlane, Joe Friday car for $60. Another one rescued on the way to the 'yard. Heavy accident damage on 1 side, put a windshield, wheel and tire on it and drove it for maybe 6 months. Sold it for $150.

'79 Chevy wagon. Originally bought from a co-worker for $65, he even dropped it off at my house. It was to be a parts car, sat for over a year. I cleaned it up, threw in a battery and was amazed at how well it ran. Drove it from 1995 to 2001 and sold it for $150 to a friend who wanted the 350.

Bob