Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mounting a coil sideways?? Yes or not recommended

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoxSpeed, Apr 10, 2012.

1. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

I was going to mount my coil sideways, horizontal, an old timer told me that it was not a good idea. The coil needs to be vertical for the contents to be level. Sideways can lessen the life of the coil. I had never heard of this.....(that don't mean anything), is there merit to this???? If so, why?

2. garcoal

garcoal

my tbird came stock with the coil on its side. close to fifty years later no apparent problems. common on fords

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

If its sideways the electricity will fall out.

4. Bigjake

Bigjake

I have run one mounted sideways for years with no issues. Only time I've ever had oil leak out of a coil is when I wired shit up wrong and almost cooked my motor.

5. Dino

Dino

They should be mounted upside down so the electricity will run out faster.

6. Dino

Dino

All kidding aside, I think it has to do with whether the coil is oil- or epoxy-filled.

7. squirrel

squirrel

the 383 in the family wagon (67 plymouth) had it mounted sideways from the factory. It died in the mid 70s, the oil leaked out.

I wouldn't worry about it, mount it however you want.

8. Your taking your chances mounting it sideways If you do, run a resistor and you'll be fine. Without and you take a chance of overheating it. As in meltdown.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Classic. :D

10. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Ran mine sideways for 15 years with no issue, still running it now with the current owner

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Some coils do not last long laying on their side, and I think it has to do with the oil not covering the coils inside completely. However, there must be some coils (epoxy maybe) that are made to lay on their side as some cars come from the factory with them that way.

We fried a Mallory coil on my Kids rpu and when I called Mallory they said do not lay it on it's side, so we remounted it upright and it now runs much cooler to the touch and has lasted much longer.

Don

12. Fenders

Fenders

Who owns the voltage?

13. xxzzy999

xxzzy999

My MSD coil was mounted sideways and burned up 200 miles from home.

If the coil is oil filled and mounted on it's side, I think there could be an air bubble that will leave some fo the coils exposed and subject to overheat and fail.

Revards,
    X

14. Mount however you want. Just make sure your friends 4 year old doesn't get in the car and turn the key to the on position without anyone knowing. That smokes them up real bad after an hour or so.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  15. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

The oil filled coils have a seal at the top and really can be mounted any way you wish ! The oil only leaks out if the seal is defective. Thats assuming the coil is properly designed and manufactured.

Now lets talk about the poorly made off shore (usually) coils . Who knows how long they will last. And if you are trying to run a low ohm coil it will overheat and cause the oil to expand making the leak easier to happen.

The right coil for the application wont leak...

16. offroadrolls

offroadrolls
    from Parker CO

We used to remount coils on old Fords verticaly on the front of the Drivers side head. Not because the OEM position on the front of the intake mafifold was horizontal, but because the coil tower wire was about 2 inches from the fuel line fitting on the carburator.

17. I would doubt the the cavity is totally filled with oil (coolant) .... there is probably an airspace and laying the coil on its side would leave a few windings unprotected from overheating .... just doesnt make for good science if you ask me.

18. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

nothing gets by a hamber............the current owner has yet to change the coil:cool:

19. Loadedagain

Loadedagain

ding ding ding... most coils these days are epoxy filled. mount any way you like.

20. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

In my caddy it is sideways sort of. It is not vertical by any means. It has been that way for at least 20 years, maybe 43 if it is the original coil.

21. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

As many have said that's how they are on most fords from the 60's-80's. Not a problem........

22. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Stock, a lot of GMs were mounted sideways, bolted to the rear of the intake. '50s thru at least the '70s.

-Brad

23. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

Will the car be driven or trailered?:p

24. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

There is your answer right there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

25. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

And not a soul mentioned that every Model A Ford built had the coil upside down on the firewall intentionally to take advantage of gravity flow of electrons to the distibutor.

26. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

But electrons are lighter than air and travel upward as seen by lightning bolts which the main charge travels from earth to cloud.
    Maybe on an ignition coil there are so many excess electrons they just spill out in any direction by osmosis.

27. hot rod rod

hot rod rod

Last Tyme we mounted one was Ok anyway Except Upside down. Then All the beer ran out.

28. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

You can get special OEM "sideways" coils, but don't mount them longitudinal or else all the sparks will collect at the bottom under accelaration causing a potential explosion.:D

On a more serious note, just about all Mitsubishi's in the 80's [lancer's colts etc] had the coils mounted horizontally from the factory.

This confirms the rumour that Japanese like it sideways;)

29. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

30. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

spicy.