Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. nali

nali

I saw on another topic Alfa Romeo seats. They look real nice .

2. jr9162

jr9162

I don't like rounded hood edges. Looks too much like a Merc or shoebox Ford. The mustache and cascade waterfall grille is what makes a Buick distinctive. Andy, see my pm to you...

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

Put some wanted ads on kijiji in the classic cars section Andy, I have had great luck finding stuff that way. Good move pulling the bumper outwards ...great minds think alike eh :D too many cars seem to have them moved way too close to the body, doesnt look right to me when they do that,with very few exceptions!

4. I wholeheartedly agree with you on the looks of a Buick why make it look like a Merc, if you wanted it to look that way you would get one.

5. Moustash trim is pot-metal and hard to find, mine is cracked on the passenger side from a rock and it may have to stay that way for awhile untill I can find a replacement.

6. Thanks for the input Nali but I think i will pull the Caprice seats apart and see what makes them tick . I will engineer them so they can pivot forward . Thats the plan anyways . I dont like highbacks or anything that is to puney of a seat in one of these big old cars . They look to out of place for my taste anyways . Andy..

JR9162 thanks for the comment . I would only go the way of a full custom look if I dont have any luck at all on either your suggestion or original Buick Mustashe trim / extensions . There is an old guy 20 mins from me that has some extensions but he wont part with them . He thinks that as soon as he sells them he will need them . Oh well !!!

I should try that Steve you never know . I have such a rare bird though I dont think any luck will be had in Moncton anyways . Maybe I should post all over atlantic Canada ??? Steve do you know of a guy from Sydney by any chance that has a lot of stuff at the Truro show . Nickel mostly . Ring a bell ?? Any old junkyards uncrushed in your neck of the woods ? I am desperate man . yeah I think the rear stretch will look good . i I am planing on trying some forward tilt to the rear of the quaters . Maybe 15 degrees . We'll see . I was looking at my roof today and the drive side from the rear has a hump that needs addressed . This chopping stuff is time consuming . I think I said that before :rolleyes: !!! Andy

Truer words were never spoken . But if no trim can be found whats a guy to do ???

i had a guy contact me from Cali and said he had a rechromed one for my car . Price $600.00 I unfortuanatly had to pass . :confused: Andy..

7. would it be possible to make the trim and then have it chromed???? Speaking out of ignorance here. I've just read in various mags about builders making their own trim and depending on what it was made from either polished or plated it. I'm not sure how hard that would be or if it is even possible with the trim you need.

8. Hey Hi volt hows things ? I have that in the far reaches of my mind . I will try if all alse fails . I have lots of stainless to try it out with . If its not to hard to work with ??? Getting anywhere on the truck ??? Andy..

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice progress,keep it up!

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Yoy could always make your own "trim" from steel and weld it on ? You would at least keep the Buick design that gives it the look? Thats what I would do if I couldnt find usable orig stuff. I will ask around and if you want put a wanted ad on in NS for you..not sure about the guy at the Truro show, let me know if you go to it though maybe we could hook up! I take it the parts cars you were talking about in the winter dont have what you need? I found probably 95% of everything for the 47 within 50 miles of my house...even found the coupe carcass through a wanted ad on kijiji !

11. I posted this AM on Kijiji Sydney and Halifax . Thats all they would allow me to post because my adds were to similar even after changing the wording . They think I am a dealer and want paid !!! Go figure , everybody wants a cut . Even the so called free sites. Andy

12. Some progress pics of the rear filler panel . Just start getting it together and there you go . Cut it apart again . I n the next set of pics you will see hopefully what I am trying to pull off . Andy..

Attached Files:

13. Angled or straight with a 2 inch filler ???

Attached Files:

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

I know they started that shit about a year ago ! If you get any leads around here (Halifax Annapolis Valley areas) that you would like me to check out just let me know! I think I like the straight up look, but it would be easier to judge if ya had a full on pic from the rear

15. jr9162

jr9162

Andy, I'm told if you have cracked pot metal trim it can be repaired by TIG welding, polishing, and re-chroming. Also, you can make your mustache, and end pieces, out of stainless; then polish them yourself.

16. Steve I have a line with guy from North Sydney already Kijiji came through . He scraped 2 Buicks . One was a 50 and the other was a 51 Hardtop . He thinks he sold the trim I am desperatly needing but he said he has many contacts across Canada as he has been parting out cars forever and has enough stuff to fill a baseball field . He would probably find me something through his many contacts . I need to send him an e-mail with specific pieces I need . He has a front and back seat from the hardtop car. I said I would send him a picture inventory of what I need so he can search his stock . He makes the Truro Show each year and can bring small stuff but I think that a trip to North Sydney is in order. I will bring the truck and trailer and load up . Package deal .. A buddy of mine and myself will probably be at Truro this year . Especially if the guy from Sydney brings me some trim . Andy...

JR that be true . There is also another product that sells at local carshows that you can use to fuse two pieces of potmetal together with a propane torch . It to can then me refinished . I dont even have broken pieces that I can do that to !!! See my above comment to Koolkemp . Hopefully the guy from North Sydney can help me out . Andy..

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  17. This Buick just keep getting better and better. Sweet!

18. Thanks Kuztomklaus . Stay tuned . Andy..

19. Got to reworking the rear of the car around the tailight driverside . I like how well it flows . There is a nice rounded contour to the whole housing at the fillerpanel . The panel ws opened 2.5 inches at the bottom to get the quaterpanel to flow better .Obviously I went with the slanted flow instead of straight . ( Side profile ) Last pic is the starting of the passenger side . I used 3/16 CRS round rod on the filler panel to duplicate the contour of the drive side . I want these two to be as identical as possible . We are to fussy with these old cars in regaurds to fitment and gaps . According to my buddies Dad whose 78 , these old cars were never great to begin with . So when we spend hours trying to figure out how come something wont fit right we have to ask , did it ever fit right from the get go ??? Some food for thought . Andy...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  20. A few more pictures that I took today with a little more done on the rear tailpan section . How they look so different on the outside , you need to do that once in a while . Andy

Attached Files:

21. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Definitely helps to look at them from a distance. Looking good!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

22. Thanks Eric . Hows the new baby man . All well I hope . ?? Andy..

23. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

She's awesome. And pretty good at sleeping so far! Thanks. Hoping to sneak some time in the garage over the next couple of weeks while I'm off

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

24. 48SuperConvert

48SuperConvert
    from Seattle

Andy...It's looking better every time I see it. Stick to it!!
    Dale

25. Thanks Dale , You workin on anything ? Did you ever attempt to do the woodgraining ? Howd you make out ? I am onto the other side to do the tailight treatment to . Dont know if I will post anything because its the same shit as the left side . Guys probably dont need to see the same work twice !! Later , Andy

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  26. ausbuick

ausbuick

looks smooth andy, it has great flow about it
    keep it up
    cheers Darren

27. robleticia

robleticia

Looking good Andy!

28. Thanks Darren . Hows your Buick coming along ? I dont think I have seen any progress threads as of late . Should be more soon I suppose , Aren't you guys heading into Fall right now ? Andy

Thanks Rob . Were have ya been ? No chevy progress that I can remember for a while now . Whats up . You guys getting any work from customers at the shop ? Andy..

29. nali

nali

A friend of mine gave me a few rod like this. I don t know the brand. I had absolutelly no succes with it on copper, alu and zinc parts ..
    It fifn t flow at all, and was gummy, even melted.

I you find good ones, please let us know.

30. I will keep you in mind Nali !!! Andy..