Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T: What do you all do for Lower Back Pain!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aeroman, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aeroman

Aeroman

I have been out of commision for about a week. I can walk but there is this painful sharp thing on my lower back! I want to get back to my '47 chevy!!!!

2. George

George

On or in the back? Assuming it's not something your wife stuck there...and you've been taking asprin or something & hasn't worked... I'd go to a ciropractor. Threw my back out & after 2 or so weeks I went. Man! I should have gone sooner!

3. you have a consultant take a needle the size of a Mcdonalds drinking straw and let him stick it in the base of your spine...oh and let him miss the target area which causes temporary paralyses which turns into a pain I can only describe as tooth ache x 10 only for him to pull it out of your back and stick it back in the same hole and into the disc and inject an epidural steroid which then takes up to 2 weeks to kick in and mask the pain you`ve been suffering from for the last 2 years......that was a week ago, so I`ve only got another week to go........back to the valium and tramadol...thats what you do for lower back pain!!!!!

monkey

4. Go to a chiropractor.

Chiropractors have gotten a bad name in this country, due to a hanful of bad ones. That said, there are great ones out there who know their stuff. If the office is nice, orderly, and looks like a medical office, that's a good sign. If they're on some weird hippy trip and it smells like pachouli (sp.?) that's no good.

I've been seeing a great family of chiropractors for a few years and boy, does it make a difference. I do it because my family has a history of back problems...thought I'd try the preventitive approach. It's working.

If that doesn't work, I've found a combination of weed, two beers, and Vicodin takes care of pretty much anything.

5. Depends on exactly what the problem is.

If heat doesn't help,for symtomatic relief,
    try Robaxacet(sp?).Should be available at any Pharmacy.

6. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

IF you seek medical treatment, I would suggest you go to a real doctor, an M.D., rather than a chiro. Just my 2 cents, but there is a reason they don't give chiros an M.D....they didn't go to medical school.

7. jaybee

jaybee

You can try this to help relax those back muscles:

Lay flat on your back on the floor with one leg under a coffee table or something of similar height and the other knee supported on the table. Just stay that way for 2-3 minutes. At first you'll feel that the small of your back isn't even touching the floor. Gradually, as your back muscles relax you'll feel that part of your back start to sag until your entire back is supported by the floor. At that point switch legs and repeat. Do that 2-3 times/day. In combination with some careful stretching this has worked for me.

8. bogey

bogey

Dude go see an MD make sure it's not a disc problem (been there and live with it) if it's Skelatal then alternative practice might help

9. I belong to Kaiser-Permanente and they have classes taught by a physical therapist. I would highly recommend one of these classes.

Class 1 tells you how to take care of it and prevent it.

Class 2 tells you about special stretches and types of exercise that may help. WALKING was high on their list of things that are good for your back. It's low-impact and gets the circulation going so it heals faster. Believe it or not, ICE PACKS work great, too -- 15-20 minutes at a time.

For myself, when I was SWIMMING regularly, my back was nearly bullet-proof.

10. caddydave

caddydave

I would see an MD and a chiro, Get a couple of opinions. If your problem can be solved without meds and or surgery you will be way better off in the long run. I used to be a non-believer in the chiro industry until my brother became one. My brother has people that were told by Md's to start shopping for wheelchairs, go back to playing tennis! Surgery can often cause more problems than it fixes and resulting to taking meds forever isn't good either. Ask around for a good chiro and see if it helps. Depending on the problem excercises can really help too.

11. toledobill

toledobill

All I can offer is the story of one of my friends who ran an automotive repair shop. He suffered for years from back pain, and went the rounds from doctor to doctor looking for some relief. After about 12 years of it (and it was debilitating, intense pain), he got to a doctor who measured his back, hips, legs, and feet.
    The doctor gave him two different specially-fitted "lifts" to put in his shoes, because the measurements showed my friend's legs were slightly different lengths. I talked to him four days after he started with the lifts, and he said he hadn't felt that pain-free since high school. That was back in the 1970s, and he's retired now and still living a pain free happy life.

Not saying that's your answer, but it wouldn't hurt to have your skeletal frame scoped out just in case.

12. I had back surger one year ag for lower back pain. I did go to a chiropractor before thiis but a gas powered post hole digger ruptured my disc. I still have bad days but i put an ice pack on my back for 20-30 minutes and hydrocodone.

13. Stay away from chiropractors. They kill people.
    Go to a physio therapist.
    Let me ask one question....Do you have a fat wallet in your back pocket?
    If so, get rid of it.
    A friend of mine had a bad back and his fat wallet was causing him to sit at an angle.

14. I had Sciatica so bad I could hardly walk, did the chiro, pain injections, etc and then finally went to VAX-D. It is a process of exercise so your body can support the back and a table which stretches you and allows moisture to get back in the discs and creates a vacuum in the disc, so that the gelatinous material is sucked back in. I know it all may sound hokey, but it worked for me and for my wife. You can go to www.vax-d.com and get some more information.

15. caddydave

caddydave

How do Chiro's Kill people?

16. Aeroman

Aeroman

Thanks for all the replies. What I meant was IN my back. About 2 months ago, I lifted a box and placed in the bed of my truck. About 2 minutes later, I started feeling this sharp pain down near my tailbone (to the right of it). I thought no biggie and drove down to Escondido (30 min drive). When I got out of the truck, I still felt the pain, now even worse to the point I couldnt stand up straight up! I laid down on the floor, face up while iciing it. After 30 minutes I got up and it killed still. I then went to the chiropractor 2 hours later and she said that my lower back muscles were swollen. She managed to crack my lower back. The following 4 days, I laid flat on the floor with my knees up. I was told to ice it when I go to sleep.

I finally got relief after a week and until recently, it has returned, but not as bad because I can actually walk around. I went to my general doc and he prescribed Naproxan (sp?) and an anti-flammatory pill to take at night. This was TUesday and I still feel the pain somewhat...he said that if it still hurts after a week, he will send me to a physical therapist.

So, I have been taking it easy but dang, I want to work on the car!

I dont think its a disc...wouldnt it be worse?

17. If it was a disk or something, it probably would be much worse, but not to say it could be. Try careful stretching and belive it or not, extensive sit-ups will strengthen your stomache and help support your back. Pop has the same problem and he just started doing this and so far it's taken it right away. Good luck!
    -Dean

18. cadlights

cadlights
    from Hooper, Ut

19. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Massage parlor. Blow them away by actually asking for a massage! :D

Seriously, I get lower back pain, so I make sure that I always have lumbar support for my lower back on whatever seat I sit in. Also get rid of that filing cabinet under half your ass (wallet); that caused my dad no end of pain.

One time I threw out my back and to get relief I went to The Sharper Image and sat in one of their $3000 massage chairs for about 45 minutes. No one kicked me out.

20. DrJ

DrJ

Just in case it's your kidneys, drink a couple gallons of water a day and cut out any alcohol.
    and do the flat on back lifiting one knee at a timeto where it's uncomfortable but not painfull yet. Dont try to lift an or both extended leg(s) like they usta do to us in highschool because that's real bad for the V discs.
    And if you can do situp/crunches and "reverse situps" on your belly lift legs and chest to strengthen the back muscles.

21. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Redsled ,you are right on the mark. I've had 3 back surgeries now. The first was actually from a broken neck vert, Second back, third ,fussed the back. Heat causes the nerve to swell. Get ice on it. Go to a qualified doctor. Neuro-surgeon finally ended my years of pain. Well that and vicadin help. You really need to get it seen after before it gets worse. Take it easy. Legs elevated to take pressure off of back. Coffee table is a good idea. Sleep with your legs bent at night with pillows under them for support.Get you a pad that you put in the freezer and sleep on it. You will get used to it and it really takes the swelling out.I feel for you. TP

22. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

"Let me ask one question....Do you have a fat wallet in your back pocket?
    If so, get rid of it.
    A friend of mine had a bad back and his fat wallet was causing him to sit at an angle."

Uh,...I can help you out if this is your problem. I'll take that fat wallet off your hands...and I won't even charge you.

23. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Broke my back 9 yrs ago in a car wreck. That ended my BMX racing career. Luckily it wasn't major, just 3 fractured vertebrae in my lower back.

At first I was in physical therapy and on alot of meds. Mostly "Skelaxin"...stuff works good. Reallllll good. Took about 4 years before the pain wasn't with me 24/7.

The pain has gone about 80%, but it comes & goes when I do alot of physical work or move heavy loads. I'm only 26 so that sucks, but oh well.

Go see your doctor or chiro, and good luck.

24. Chiropractors like to twist and pull on your neck. And you hear that clicking sound. If you have any problem with your neck, they can sever the spinal cord. Also, they can crush or pinch the main artery going to your brain.
    It has happened.

25. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Am going thru the same thing myself so I know where you are coming from. Wish I was the reverse of 62 again. Anyhow, do those exercises religiously and make it a point not to lift anything that causes the slighest pain. Sounds like you have sciatica back pain due to pinched nerve. I really hope you feel better. Type the words "sciatica back pain" in your computer search box.

26. Go to a chiropractor once a week...he's great :D

I was a bit 'wary' at 1st, but now a total supporter.

27. i know im young but i have arthritis

all i do is take advil and suffer

i should proabably see a chiropracter

-dan

28. Aeroman

Aeroman

Cool, thanks for the valuable info! I'll keep you all HAMB'ers posted...

29. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.